Strength off the chest- bench press

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.29%

Strength off the chest- bench press

Geared more towards the PL crew around here but any input appreciated. What are your guys' favorite ways to strengthen off the chest in the bench press? The top 3/4 of my press moves so quickly even above 90-95% but I struggle with those same % off the chest. More DB work, heavy paused presses? What has the best carry over in your opinions?

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.98%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

For me personally, my bench is poor off the chest, and that's due to weak shoulders. Not sure about others. You could try using a cambered bar for a increased ROM.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.58%

Pin press, wide grip pause bench (I bench narrow, pinky on ring).
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.29%

Appreciate the feedback guys. Love getting another perspective
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.92%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Pin press, close grip incline press (a great way to add in range of motion without resorting to cambered bar benching), high rep DB press to 2 or 3 failure points.

I don't know who this advice is for exactly, but make sure leg drive is adequate.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'7"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9%

Before I give you my .02 what is your bench? What is your total? What is your weight? How long have you been powerlifting?
    DISCLAIMER: Anything that I post on this forum should not be taken as/IS NOT medical advice. All workout programs/protocols, diets,
    and/or supplementation NEEDS to be discussed with the appropriate medical professional. Consult your doctor about any health concerns you may have.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.29%

Bench 310 Squat 365 Deadlift 485 so total roughly 1160 I weigh 187 and i've been training for years as I played football throughout high school and 2 years in college but have really only spent the last 12 months or so training with the idea of competing
  8. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'7"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9%

Ok those are very good lifts. However I very much believe at your level of strength you will benefit from more volume and more benching.

A lot of accessory work is amazing for higher level lifters who rank CMS, MS or MSIC on the Russian system of strength ranking. Lower level lifters get the most gains in an increase of strict form working in the 70-85% range.

Myself Ive gone up from 315 paused bench and a 275 competition bench to 335 paused competition bench in 16 weeks by simply benching more. I'm talking about I bench 3x a week in accordance to a Sheiko routine template. I'm also a low to mid 180s lifter.

I use to do a conjugate system with tons of accessory work for my sticking points but i was still not progressing. I tried it all and i did so for almost 2 years. I recommend before adding bells and whistle work your bench by benching more.

Powerlifting is very CNS dominant so training your CNS to fire appropriately take time and 1000s of reps. Once form is no longer an issuer and a strong base of strength is established, specialized means of training will be of maximal benefit,
    DISCLAIMER: Anything that I post on this forum should not be taken as/IS NOT medical advice. All workout programs/protocols, diets,
    and/or supplementation NEEDS to be discussed with the appropriate medical professional. Consult your doctor about any health concerns you may have.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.82%

I weigh the same as you but my bench is at 355. I recommend working on the leg drive. That's what helped me with the bottom portion of the press.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.54%

Pin press, band press really helped my explosion at the bottom back in the day. Also like someone above mentioned sounds like your front delts might be a little weaker than the rest of your body..
    PT, DPT, OCS Clinical Residency
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.28%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Pause on the chest, pause just a hair off of the chest, incline work, overhead pressing, and learn to get your lats involved in the lift. For me, that comes from touching low and pressing low.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html

Similar Forum Threads

1. Am I gripping the BB too close for bench pressing?
    By Rock Lee in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 08:49 PM
  2. Bench pressing from the chest.
    By viralencore84 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-06-2010, 10:47 AM
  3. How to get more power off the bottom of the bench press
    By vidapreta in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-06-2007, 05:39 PM
  4. Middle of chest pops during bench presses