I keep hurting my shoulder on flat bench presses

Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  176 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    Yeah sadly, I don't know if I can sleep on my back, because I'm prone to sleep apnea. So I need to loose weight maybe, but then idk how I'm going to bulk.
    You can recomp your body. You don't need to "bulk".

But, losing fat is pretty essential to addressing sleep apnea as it's that soft tissue that causes the obstruction in the vast majority of obstructive sleep apnea. The long term consequences of sleep apnea are nothing to take lightly.
    "I'm not fat, I'm big boned!"

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by trn450 View Post
    You can recomp your body. You don't need to "bulk".

But, losing fat is pretty essential to addressing sleep apnea as it's that soft tissue that causes the obstruction in the vast majority of obstructive sleep apnea. The long term consequences of sleep apnea are nothing to take lightly.
    I know, but it seems like I'm never going to build muscle. Unless you have a way I can build muscle while loosing fat.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Answers

Haha well building muscle will help you lose some fat but not like the way I believe you are looking for. You should really look at your diet. I went 5 months, just lifting no cardio and my waist slimmed down so much. It was mainly because of my food intake. Kept it to 7 meals a day ever 2 hours. Set my metabolism on fire. Why does your diet look like? Make sure you are eating enough, check your BMR bud
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jmacconnach View Post
    Haha well building muscle will help you lose some fat but not like the way I believe you are looking for. You should really look at your diet. I went 5 months, just lifting no cardio and my waist slimmed down so much. It was mainly because of my food intake. Kept it to 7 meals a day ever 2 hours. Set my metabolism on fire. Why does your diet look like? Make sure you are eating enough, check your BMR bud
    It's hard to get that many means in a day, since I have insomnia. 220-250 grams of protein, 200 carbs, 150 fat, 63 or less grams of sugar and 3,300 calories. no cardio. 4 day split, but 8 day workout week, since I take an extra day off after my leg day.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Answers

Insomnia as well? You're in a tough stop in life right now huh? Look keep your head up, maybe focusing more on weight loss and getting sufficient rest is more of a priority then making gains, lets get you back on a level where your body doesn't have to worry about injuries and sleep deprivation. Wipe the slate clean in way, diet, weight loss and work on catching some quality zzzzzzzz's
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Answers

I can buy a memory foam mattress, that should get rid of the shoulder pain. My mattress is junk. It was cheap and can't support my weight. My worry is that side sleeping is causing an imbalance in my shoulders. How many of you sleep on your sides?
  7. Registered User
    Answers

I can buy a memory foam mattress, that should get rid of the shoulder pain.
    If only it were that easy, many surgeons would be out of work. LOL
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Been there, done that. Diagnosis: severe tear in superspinatus rotator cuff muscle, bissected long head biceps tendon, minor tear in subscapularis rotator cuff muscle. End result: surgical repair of superspinatus and biceps tendon, 16 weeks of physical therapy, no workouts for 9 months following surgery. The good news: shoulder is stronger than ever now (1-1/2 years later). Good luck!
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by deerow View Post
    Been there, done that. Diagnosis: severe tear in superspinatus rotator cuff muscle, bissected long head biceps tendon, minor tear in subscapularis rotator cuff muscle. End result: surgical repair of superspinatus and biceps tendon, 16 weeks of physical therapy, no workouts for 9 months following surgery. The good news: shoulder is stronger than ever now (1-1/2 years later). Good luck!
    Any calcium deposits form?
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Answers

None that I can detect by working that shoulder hard.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  192 lbs.
    Answers

Coming from an athletic training stand point you described a typical setup and symptoms for S.L.A.P lesion.

The clicking and poping in that position with possible rotation of the humorous during benching sounds like it might have caused your long biceps tendon to fold down within the rotator cuff. Because your long head biceps secondary action is shoulder flexion (raising your arm straight infront of you) try keeping your elbows in closer but not necessarily directly at your side. Benching is tricky since your arms position directly determines what muscles are being used. Too wide is more pressure on the anterior delts though training in such manor might be useful. You need to know what phase healing you are in. Phase one thru two you should not excessively overload said muscles or white tissues. Phase three is maturation restoration, this is the right time. Also have your shoulder injury assessed by an athletic trainer or cscs. To determine what grade your injury is and exactly what you might have injured

Source: second year athletic training student and intern
  12. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  179 lbs.
    Answers

i screwed up my good shoulder yesterday on this bench press machine with a foot lever. i flaked out on pressing the lever on my last set of 225 and gave myself some sort of tear or impingement. i think i'll just be doing legs for awhile
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Answers

I saw my doctor today. Turns out I didn't tear the tendon, but my shoulder capsules are very tight.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Answers

I saw my doctor today. Turns out I didn't tear the tendon, but my shoulder capsules are very tight.
    That's awesome news! He recommend some good stretches for that?
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Answers

That's awesome news! He recommend some good stretches for that?
    No, she recommended I go to physical therapy. My first appointment isn't until next week. I'd like to know of some stretches to do at home as well to speed up the recovery time, especially considering I may only be able to go once a week because I don't own a car and will have to have my grandmother drive me.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Answers

No, she recommended I go to physical therapy. My first appointment isn't until next week. I'd like to know of some stretches to do at home as well to speed up the recovery time, especially considering I may only be able to go once a week because I don't own a car and will have to have my grandmother drive me.
    Physical therapy will definitely help you, even if you can only go one a week. They'll give you plenty of stuff to do at home and probably some bands to do them with. You need to be patient though or you'll hurt yourself worse
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nicksox15 View Post
    Physical therapy will definitely help you, even if you can only go one a week. They'll give you plenty of stuff to do at home and probably some bands to do them with. You need to be patient though or you'll hurt yourself worse
    I just can't stand not benching. I want to hit that 315 mark so bad. I can do incline bench with no pain though, atleast with dbs.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Answers

I just can't stand not benching. I want to hit that 315 mark so bad. I can do incline bench with no pain though, atleast with dbs.
    Well you have to think about what would happen if you hurt yourself worse and aren't able to bench for even longer. So I'd take it easy and don't push it too much. I know how tough it is but it would suck so much more if you needed surgery.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nicksox15 View Post

Well you have to think about what would happen if you hurt yourself worse and aren't able to bench for even longer. So I'd take it easy and don't push it too much. I know how tough it is but it would suck so much more if you needed surgery.
    I completely agree with nicksox. You don't want it to be so bad you need surgery and the you're out of the game for a while You will get the bench back, do not worry, but you have to heal!
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Answers

I completely agree with nicksox. You don't want it to be so bad you need surgery and the you're out of the game for a while You will get the bench back, do not worry, but you have to heal!
    I know, it just seems when I'm starting to finally make good progress I get injured. I was thinking about switching to doing decline bench presses and see if that makes a difference, since declines put a lot less strain on the shoulders.
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Answers

Just be careful you are not trying to find ways to cheat around this injury and end up making it worse. I know you're discouraged about it, but what is a few weeks to months of rehabilitation? Keep your head up!
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Just be careful you are not trying to find ways to cheat around this injury and end up making it worse. I know you're discouraged about it, but what is a few weeks to months of rehabilitation? Keep your head up!
    The thing is I can do incline db presses no problem, but can't do them flat, Idk why that is. The doc todl me I can do what doesn't hurt..shes not a bodybuilder though.
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  238 lbs.
    Answers

close grip and overhead movements not bothering you does make it weird Im not even thinking labrum issues sounds more like Impingement. If you can lay on your back and do the flat bench with the bar then it isnt a structural issue and shouldn't mean surgery, but if weights added and due to compression force and natural bulk you could be flaring up nerves causing pain which isn't a hard fix either.

2 Choices: 1. More flexibility 2. MRI lol the best options in my opinion.

Hope my 2 cents may give ya other ideas to check into
    Bigger and Better Is all I KNOW!!!
    Current Log= http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/250352-follidrone-cutting-package.html
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by TheMovement View Post
    close grip and overhead movements not bothering you does make it weird Im not even thinking labrum issues sounds more like Impingement. If you can lay on your back and do the flat bench with the bar then it isnt a structural issue and shouldn't mean surgery, but if weights added and due to compression force and natural bulk you could be flaring up nerves causing pain which isn't a hard fix either.

2 Choices: 1. More flexibility 2. MRI lol the best options in my opinion.

Hope my 2 cents may give ya other ideas to check into
    Well I went to PT today. It turns out I did tear both pecs, but it's a minor tear. I have a shoulder imbalance and the PT doc has me doing stretches, to correct the imbalance. She told me no bench presses of any kind until I'm healed up and my shoulder imbalance is fixed and not to do back squats, since the bar rest behind the shoulders. She told me I can do overhead presses, just not any movements, that put pressure on my pecs. No Flies either, but I don't do them anyway.
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Answers

you may need a mri on that shoulder if its not healing. if your gonna continue to flat bench close the grip up some dont go so wide. or dont do it. dumbell press.
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  238 lbs.
    Answers

Odd but everyone is different, Im glad you're started in the right road to recovery though
    Bigger and Better Is all I KNOW!!!
    Current Log= http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/250352-follidrone-cutting-package.html
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by gravitygames View Post
    you may need a mri on that shoulder if its not healing. if your gonna continue to flat bench close the grip up some dont go so wide. or dont do it. dumbell press.
    I guess I'll see how it is in a month. I want to continue to bench press. I'm going to see how I feel in about 4 weeks.
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Answers

also try to keep the injured shoulder in a good spot during your sleep. Ive had a bankart reconstruction so i know how ****ty sleep can get on a injured shoulder and position can help if its a bad injury.
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by gravitygames View Post
    also try to keep the injured shoulder in a good spot during your sleep. Ive had a bankart reconstruction so i know how ****ty sleep can get on a injured shoulder and position can help if its a bad injury.
    I don't have much choice right now with that. If I sleep on my back I have sleep apnea, unless I go back to using my cpap, which I hate.
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Don't ignore your body cues. Forcing reps and causing damage isn't worth pushing a 1rm. DB presses are biomechanically more natural than fixed position BB presses. The over internal rotation of the shoulder joint from the fixed wrist position is extremely stressful on shouldeds.
    I say stick with DB's and relax your ego. Your body will win in the end, no matter what your mind wants.
    I know lots about this from my xrays and ortho visits. After resting that movement, switching to cables and db's, my shoulder is just about 100%. And that is with 2 separate orthos recommending surgical removal of 2cm of my distal end of the clavicle.
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post
    Don't ignore your body cues. Forcing reps and causing damage isn't worth pushing a 1rm. DB presses are biomechanically more natural than fixed position BB presses. The over internal rotation of the shoulder joint from the fixed wrist position is extremely stressful on shouldeds.
    I say stick with DB's and relax your ego. Your body will win in the end, no matter what your mind wants.
    I know lots about this from my xrays and ortho visits. After resting that movement, switching to cables and db's, my shoulder is just about 100%. And that is with 2 separate orthos recommending surgical removal of 2cm of my distal end of the clavicle.
    Like I said, I'll see how it goes, I can't even bench with dbs right now. I'm startign to think I've always had at least a slight muscular imbalance in my shoulders.
  32. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  179 lbs.
    Answers

I am worried about you, Derick. it doesn't seem like you are in a very good place physically and mentally right now. i am going to pray for you.
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  176 lbs.
    Answers

I don't have much choice right now with that. If I sleep on my back I have sleep apnea, unless I go back to using my cpap, which I hate.
    What is your height and weight?
    "I'm not fat, I'm big boned!"
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by trn450 View Post
    What is your height and weight?
    5' 11.75"(1.82m) 230 lbs(105kg) Those numbers aren't that helpful without knowing my BF%
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Hurt my shoulder doung dips!
    By goingtogrow in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-05-2012, 02:47 PM
  2. Hurt my shoulder, again.
    By Killerkanadia in forum Supplements
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 12:10 PM
  3. Bicepedal tendonitis on flat bench
    By goshawk in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-26-2008, 02:35 PM
  4. THINK I hurt my shoulder :(
    By fst89lx in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-29-2005, 05:35 PM
  5. Is there anyone who doesn't flat bench press at all?
    By Rock Lee in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 12:45 PM