I keep hurting my shoulder on flat bench presses

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    The latter.
    One last question. If it doesn't hurt when I do any kind of overhead press movement and my form is good, is it more likely that I have a muscular imbalance or that I'm just plain benching wrong, or could you not tell since the movements are different?

2. Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    One last question. If it doesn't hurt when I do any kind of overhead press movement and my form is good, is it more likely that I have a muscular imbalance or that I'm just plain benching wrong, or could you not tell since the movements are different?
    It's more likely bad benching.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

•   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    It's more likely bad benching.
    That's what I was actually hoping to hear, thanks for the help.

4. Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    That's what I was actually hoping to hear, thanks for the help.
    No problem.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

5. healing the injury

Hey there,

So I am new to this site but not to fitness. There are a lot of good replies on here about form and how to adapt so you can continue lifting. However, you should conisdered what is injured. This sounds to be your rotator cuff =(. You should try working with some resistance bands to help stengthen your RC. I had injured myself before and the symptoms seem the same as what happened to me. I used resistance bands and some specific stretches to help heal and strengthen. One method I found extremely helpful was laying flat on your stomach with you arms out in front of you, lift the arm of the injured shoulder 4-6 off the ground with your thumb pointing down. Then slowly bring it back as if you were tucking your elbows.

Anyone with feed back?
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by Jmacconnach View Post
    Hey there,

So I am new to this site but not to fitness. There are a lot of good replies on here about form and how to adapt so you can continue lifting. However, you should conisdered what is injured. This sounds to be your rotator cuff =(. You should try working with some resistance bands to help stengthen your RC. I had injured myself before and the symptoms seem the same as what happened to me. I used resistance bands and some specific stretches to help heal and strengthen. One method I found extremely helpful was laying flat on your stomach with you arms out in front of you, lift the arm of the injured shoulder 4-6 off the ground with your thumb pointing down. Then slowly bring it back as if you were tucking your elbows.

Anyone with feed back?
    I dislocated my shoulder and found my healing was greatly improved by incorporating band work in focusing on the rotator cuff. I had 6 different exercises I did daily for 2 sets of 20 reps. I think most people could actually benefit from these exercises.

7. Quote Originally Posted by nicksox15 View Post

I dislocated my shoulder and found my healing was greatly improved by incorporating band work in focusing on the rotator cuff. I had 6 different exercises I did daily for 2 sets of 20 reps. I think most people could actually benefit from these exercises.
    Post videolinks to those movements?
    Always willing to learn :D

8. I can post some pics from my pt sheet here soon.

9. Name:  ForumRunner_20130527_144143.png
Views: 105
Size:  512.5 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130527_144131.png
Views: 109
Size:  489.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130527_144121.png
Size:  510.6 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130527_144112.png
Views: 107
Size:  469.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130527_144201.png
Size:  452.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

10. There's one more where you lay flat on your stomach on a bench. Then with 5's lift with you're arms straight and hold for 5 secs

11. Is there something I can do right now at home with light dumbbells(10 lbs). I mean I can buy some resistance bands, but I won't have money until next week. I know I can do scaptions to help, but I wasn't sure if I do start doing scaptions, if I should still do lateral raises.

12. I would definitely do lateral raises with those a long as there's no pain associated with it.

13. Quote Originally Posted by nicksox15 View Post
    I would definitely do lateral raises with those a long as there's no pain associated with it.
    There isn't, as long as I do the lateral raises slightly in front and not directly by my sides and when I do the, I can't really do that "pour" motion at the top and I can't do them with straight arms.

14. sure, put a towel under your armpit and hold the dumbbell at mid-chest. extend your arm out laterally while keeping the towel tucked under your armpit. good rotator cuff exercise i do sometimes. i do it with bands, but a light dumbbell would work too.

15. Can sleeping on your side, cause an imbalance, since the shoulders are in a forward position all night? When I wake up from sleeping on my side sometimes my shoulder hurts. I'd sleep on my back, but when I do that my jaw drops and I get sleep apnea.

16. sleeping on my side seems to aggravate my shoulders from time to time too, but i usually sleep on my back so it's not a frequent issue.

17. Quote Originally Posted by bossman523 View Post
    sleeping on my side seems to aggravate my shoulders from time to time too, but i usually sleep on my back so it's not a frequent issue.
    My jaw drops down causing sleep apnea if I lay on my back. I jsut ordered a chinstrap I help it helps.

18. Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    Can sleeping on your side, cause an imbalance, since the shoulders are in a forward position all night? When I wake up from sleeping on my side sometimes my shoulder hurts. I'd sleep on my back, but when I do that my jaw drops and I get sleep apnea.
    Hey just saw this, I had a similar injury and sleeping on my side did not help at all, woke up stiff and sore did you try any of the stretching I mentioned earlier?

19. Quote Originally Posted by Jmacconnach View Post
    Hey just saw this, I had a similar injury and sleeping on my side did not help at all, woke up stiff and sore did you try any of the stretching I mentioned earlier?
    Yeah sadly, I don't know if I can sleep on my back, because I'm prone to sleep apnea. So I need to loose weight maybe, but then idk how I'm going to bulk.

20. Well as mentality frustrating as it is, you have to let it heal man. I'd hate for you to damage it to the extent you need any type of surgery! Keep stretching and incorporating resistance bands. Might need 2-3 weeks off from any bench, flat,incline/decline alike. Another thing for stretching you can try is raise your arm in an L shape and apply it again a door frame at different angles to get a good stretch. Just make sure to keep your core tight and do not twist into it

21. Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    Yeah sadly, I don't know if I can sleep on my back, because I'm prone to sleep apnea. So I need to loose weight maybe, but then idk how I'm going to bulk.
    You can recomp your body. You don't need to "bulk".

But, losing fat is pretty essential to addressing sleep apnea as it's that soft tissue that causes the obstruction in the vast majority of obstructive sleep apnea. The long term consequences of sleep apnea are nothing to take lightly.
    "I'm not fat, I'm big boned!"

22. Quote Originally Posted by trn450 View Post
    You can recomp your body. You don't need to "bulk".

But, losing fat is pretty essential to addressing sleep apnea as it's that soft tissue that causes the obstruction in the vast majority of obstructive sleep apnea. The long term consequences of sleep apnea are nothing to take lightly.
    I know, but it seems like I'm never going to build muscle. Unless you have a way I can build muscle while loosing fat.

23. Haha well building muscle will help you lose some fat but not like the way I believe you are looking for. You should really look at your diet. I went 5 months, just lifting no cardio and my waist slimmed down so much. It was mainly because of my food intake. Kept it to 7 meals a day ever 2 hours. Set my metabolism on fire. Why does your diet look like? Make sure you are eating enough, check your BMR bud

24. Quote Originally Posted by Jmacconnach View Post
    Haha well building muscle will help you lose some fat but not like the way I believe you are looking for. You should really look at your diet. I went 5 months, just lifting no cardio and my waist slimmed down so much. It was mainly because of my food intake. Kept it to 7 meals a day ever 2 hours. Set my metabolism on fire. Why does your diet look like? Make sure you are eating enough, check your BMR bud
    It's hard to get that many means in a day, since I have insomnia. 220-250 grams of protein, 200 carbs, 150 fat, 63 or less grams of sugar and 3,300 calories. no cardio. 4 day split, but 8 day workout week, since I take an extra day off after my leg day.

25. Insomnia as well? You're in a tough stop in life right now huh? Look keep your head up, maybe focusing more on weight loss and getting sufficient rest is more of a priority then making gains, lets get you back on a level where your body doesn't have to worry about injuries and sleep deprivation. Wipe the slate clean in way, diet, weight loss and work on catching some quality zzzzzzzz's

26. I can buy a memory foam mattress, that should get rid of the shoulder pain. My mattress is junk. It was cheap and can't support my weight. My worry is that side sleeping is causing an imbalance in my shoulders. How many of you sleep on your sides?

27. Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    I can buy a memory foam mattress, that should get rid of the shoulder pain.
    If only it were that easy, many surgeons would be out of work. LOL

28. Been there, done that. Diagnosis: severe tear in superspinatus rotator cuff muscle, bissected long head biceps tendon, minor tear in subscapularis rotator cuff muscle. End result: surgical repair of superspinatus and biceps tendon, 16 weeks of physical therapy, no workouts for 9 months following surgery. The good news: shoulder is stronger than ever now (1-1/2 years later). Good luck!

29. Quote Originally Posted by deerow View Post
    Been there, done that. Diagnosis: severe tear in superspinatus rotator cuff muscle, bissected long head biceps tendon, minor tear in subscapularis rotator cuff muscle. End result: surgical repair of superspinatus and biceps tendon, 16 weeks of physical therapy, no workouts for 9 months following surgery. The good news: shoulder is stronger than ever now (1-1/2 years later). Good luck!
    Any calcium deposits form?

30. None that I can detect by working that shoulder hard.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Hurt my shoulder doung dips!
    By goingtogrow in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-05-2012, 03:47 PM
  2. Hurt my shoulder, again.
    By Killerkanadia in forum Supplements
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 01:10 PM
  3. Bicepedal tendonitis on flat bench
    By goshawk in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-26-2008, 03:35 PM
  4. THINK I hurt my shoulder :(
    By fst89lx in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-29-2005, 06:35 PM
  5. Is there anyone who doesn't flat bench press at all?
    By Rock Lee in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 01:45 PM