Powerlifting regimen suggestions

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
To start, I am 5'11 205 and I'm looking to compete in Powerlifting after a year or so of structured training.

My current one rep maxes are:
Bench-365
Deadlift-515 (most i've pulled, but it came up fairly easy)
Squat- Hard to say because the last few months i've only been doing below parallel box squats, or squats with bands or chains. None of which included singles. So i will be conservative and say around 405. Needless to say its my weakest lift and i need improvement on my form.

My goal is to achieve a 405 bench, 565 deadlift, and a 455 squat before i compete.

The question i have is, which workout regimen have you guys had success with and would suggest? I have done DC training and P/RR/S, neither of which geared specifically for PL'ing. I have done research on Westside's Conjugate method and am looking at running that. The problem is i have heard a lot of mixed reviews. Some saying its geared for lifters running juice, leaving an inadequate time for recovery for people not using it, or for lifters using equipment. At this time i only want to compete raw, so obviously i don't want to run a program geared for equipped lifters.

I am fairly uneducated when it comes to PL'ing training, so i would appreciate any feedback you guys could give me.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lilly's Cube Method is aimed towards raw lifters, but still implements many of the principles of conjugate periodization.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lilly's Cube Method is aimed towards raw lifters, but still implements many of the principles of conjugate periodization.
I'm running Cube Method & I love it.

I think the tough thing about the conjugate system is you either need a coach or need to be nails with programming. I, personally, don't feel it lends itself to a novice PLer that's doing their own programming. Just mho.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm running Cube Method & I love it.

I think the tough thing about the conjugate system is you either need a coach or need to be nails with programming. I, personally, don't feel it lends itself to a novice PLer that's doing their own programming. Just mho.
100% agreed. It takes years to build the kind of base of needed to run a true conjugate program.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
^ D) all of the above

Start reading as much as you can.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Dude, you are strong enough to do a comp this year if you wanted to. My lifts aren't where yours are at and I am going to do my first meet in less than 2 months.

I agree with what is said above. Either get a coach or a system for training.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dude, you are strong enough to do a comp this year if you wanted to. My lifts aren't where yours are at and I am going to do my first meet in less than 2 months.

I agree with what is said above. Either get a coach or a system for training.
Again, IMHO, everyone is strong enough to compete anytime. It's about being the strongest YOU, regardless of where you're at today.

If you're healthy, compete. You have no maxes until you hit the platform. Then...get stronger.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks a lot guys. I'm going to do research on the cube method and start as soon as I feel educated enough.

I agree that everyone is already strong enough to compete, but I would like to have at least a year of specific powerlifting training before I cross that bridge and compete.

I am excited to get the ball rolling. This surely is going to bring a new dynamic to my training. Not that I don't train hard as is, but this will be an extra kick in the ass to eat another chicken sandwich, or drink that extra shake. Lol.

Thanks again.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hell ya, got his E-book. Going to start tomorrow since I was planning on starting the conjugate method tomorrow. :happyface:

Does anyone else find it strange that Lilly is opposed to; bands, chains, and box squats? Seems to be polar opposite from Louie.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Does anyone else find it strange that Lilly is opposed to; bands, chains, and box squats? Seems to be polar opposite from Louie.
Not really and more especially for raw lifters since they have to become strong(er) thru the entire ROM of the lift. I believe Lilly has stated he uses reverse set ups at times, but reg bands do not mimic his comp squat say and that is your bottom line.
WSB leans more towards gear, which is another reason adding loads in other parts of the ROM help. I am not completely anti WSB, but I cannot help but say, that quite a bit of their success is learning to use gear to its optimum, and that is a bit different than just being a brutally strong RAW lifter.
Also, I know guys who did a steady diet of box squats, and when they went back to regular squatting, were weaker.
You got to know a little about band set up for it to be really helpful and lots of guys have hit huge PL totals without all the extra stuff. Don Reinhoudt comes to mind with a host of others. If you are only starting out & lifting raw, I am of the opinion that WSB is probably not very good. Many other straight forward 3-4 day a week programs that pound the big 3 lifts and will have you gaining the most strength. (Even Wendler's Triumvirate, comes to mind somewhat)
Remember the extra stuff (you mentioned) is only an adjunct and better for advanced guys and will not make you elite. Lifting hard and heavy on the 3 mains, will produce the biggest gains overall.

There a few things in here that may interest you...
Powerlifting Training Programs | Powerlifting Watch

PC's stuff is pretty good too...

LIFT-RUN-BANG: Training for Raw Powerlifting

LIFT-RUN-BANG: Raw Powerlifting - Squatting

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for the post Paul. Definitely going to utilize those resources.

I can see now why box squatting is not for raw lifters. I'm at a point now where I can squat as much weight on a box 3" below parallel, as I can squat reg parallel.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, it's not that box squats are not at all for raw guys, but they seem more suited to help you sit back in the squat, which helps cue geared lifters some. I know it seems guys are doing some regular "pause squats" and they seem okay for raw lifters too with strength out of the hole.
All the very best in your endeavors.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Box squat carryover is going to depend on squat stance and style. Oly style squats will have limited carryover as they inherently have knee flexion. Wide stance will get better carryover and you can take it a step further and create an obtuse angle with the shin and foot.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Box squat carryover is going to depend on squat stance and style. Oly style squats will have limited carryover as they inherently have knee flexion. Wide stance will get better carryover and you can take it a step further and create an obtuse angle with the shin and foot.
Agreed. I think the carryover from box squat is pretty subjective. Additionally, I can't agree more on stance; wide always translates to narrow, where I don't feel the inverse is true in the vast majority of cases.

I saw good box/free carryover, and box squats were a godsend when I was injured & couldn't free squat. Lost next to nothing, but I realize that's not the discussion. Just an extra comment.

Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister

Awards
  • Established
How long have you been training and what is your age?

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just turned 23. Started lifting when I was 16. Lifted incorrectly for about two years. Played college baseball for two years, where training was all light and high rep for the most part (erroneous). Been training correctly and consistently since.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol just made me think of my high school weight training teacher. This f***er had us benching Mon, Wed, Fri.

It's sad, I just started deadlifting 8 months ago. Luckily I'm built for them.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol just made me think of my high school weight training teacher. This f***er had us benching Mon, Wed, Fri.
It is not so odd. Actually, I used to BP 3x per week and made good gains on it years ago.
The general rule of thumb, is to train as often as you can, as long as you are pretty much around 80%+ recovered. Most if not all beginners/intermeds do not use the amount of weight that would have you needing to rest 4-5 days in between pressing moves.

It's sad, I just started deadlifting 8 months ago. Luckily I'm built for them.
Dude, #515...!!! That is pretty outstanding progress. I know guys who took a few years getting to #500.
Can I ask specifically what set up/program/routine, you did on it, to get it to progress so quickly or waht your starting weight was on it?

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I believed I started at around 185 just to get my form down. Within about two months I was up to 365. Been making steady progress since. Not a terrible amount of rhyme or reason went into it lol. I was alternating heavy deads and heavy rack pulls each week. Keeping it in the 3-5 rep rang for the most part. And really focusing on form and being explosive off the floor.

I contribute it mostly to my long arms. I'm 5'11 with the wing span equivalent to a 6'4 person.

KimChee

KimChee

Awards
Compete now if you want..I did my first PL contest at 16-17 lol. You are plenty strong enough and it'll give you some good experience.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Compete now if you want..I did my first PL contest at 16-17 lol. You are plenty strong enough and it'll give you some good experience.
Yeah, I'm going to finish this 10 week phase of the cube and see where I'm at.

Started Monday and ill i can say is, I haven't been this sore since I started lifted. I read in Lilly's book that dragging the sled around for 20 minutes can be used for recovery. That man is something else because I could hardly get out of bed this morning.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I'm going to finish this 10 week phase of the cube and see where I'm at.

Started Monday and ill i can say is, I haven't been this sore since I started lifted. I read in Lilly's book that dragging the sled around for 20 minutes can be used for recovery. That man is something else because I could hardly get out of bed this morning.
I love sleds for active recovery, especially after a brutal leg session.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I love sleds for active recovery, especially after a brutal leg session.
Me too. Little sled, little Rumble Roller, good to go.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm too cheap for a rumble roller, I use PVC pipe.
I've got both. PVC for when I'm sore, Rumble Roller for when I'm mad at myself and deserve torture.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rumble roller that much better?
Oh I wouldn't necessarily say so. The PVC does a great job; I have the RR for when there's a particularly stubborn area that won't release, or when I'm in a bit of a hurry. It just DIGS in a way a smooth roller can't.

IT bands are particularly "stimulated" by the RR for me.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I could start a new thread, but everyone who has commented in here will have good advice.

Any site or book I could get for some good info on foam rolling. I hear powerlifters talking about it all the time and I really need to loosen up. I have done zero stretching and I know I can't continue or it will catch up harshly.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Once you get into myofacial release there is no going back. It is glorrrriousss.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
How would it work if your thoracic is super tight?

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
My arch is small when powerlifting the bench press.

Any good websites?

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sweet, thanks for the info Swanson.

Just made my own foam roller out of a 4" PVC pipe, pipe insulation, and duct tape. Gonna try her out tonight.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, I was thinking about doing the same, but I read that the insulation isn't used for padding, but to grip some surfaces better. Besides, the 1/4 inch insulation foam isn't going to provide much padding lol.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I was thinking about doing the same, but I read that the insulation isn't used for padding, but to grip some surfaces better. Besides, the 1/4 inch insulation foam isn't going to provide much padding lol.
I've considered adding stripping (or something similar) to the outside to create raised surfaces. That way I can hate my life more when I use it.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wrapped mine with athletic tape.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Used mine for the first time tonight and I'm not going to lie I underestimated it. Hurt, but could literally feel a release of tension. Looking forward to seeing what it does for me.

broken bottle

broken bottle

Awards
A tennis ball against a wall does wonders as well. A lot more pressure in one spot.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Started a log if any of you guys want to follow, add suggestions, or bust my balls when I F@&ck up.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It won't let me post links since I haven't met the minimum requirement. It's called killin' the cube: my powerlifting venture begins.