Proper HIIT

OptimusX

Awards
Admittedly, I have doing my cardio at low intensity, long duration pace. I have been informed in the error of my ways, lol. Anyways, I was on the eliptical tonight and attempted some HIIT. The first minute was at a moderate/slow pace(about 130 HR) then the second minute I went as fast as I could for another minute(around 175HR). I always did the "fast" part in 1 minute intervals with 1 minute or 1:30 "slow" intervals in between. I did this for about 18 minutes with my HR ranging from 140-180 through the intervals. Was I doing it correctly or was I way off ?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
if you can do something for 18 minutes its not high intensity. especially if you are just starting doing HIIT.

one type of HIIT, tabata lasts only 4 minutes and many people the first time cant even make it the entire time.

texastea

Awards
if you can do something for 18 minutes its not high intensity. especially if you are just starting doing HIIT.

one type of HIIT, tabata lasts only 4 minutes and many people the first time cant even make it the entire time.
Yes. 8 cycles of 20 seconds of 100% output, separated by 10 seconds of rest.

Sent from my iPhone, slacking at work, using Tapatalk

KimChee

KimChee

Awards
I don't think you're doing it at the proper intensity, there's different ways to split it up in the beginning, either 30 seconds at the high intensity 30 seconds off starting at 4 min and adding minutes each week. I like the other way better for me personally, 15 seconds high intensity a minute rest, 10-12 minutes, and adjust it down to where you're doing 30/60, then 30/30 and 30/15 rest.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Is there a reason why you are using an eliptical for your HIT. My advice right there would be to jump off the machine
he didnt mention it in this thread, but he has before in his others. hes ~36% bf. weight bearing exercises are pretty rough on the body at that size

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Tabata FTW. get yourself a gymboss timer and set it for 20/10. Actually, I do 22/8 just so I get the full 20 at sprint. Push the treadmill while it's off. That'll do it real quick.

KimChee

KimChee

Awards
Is the tabata the only cardio you guys do? Also how many times a week?

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Is the tabata the only cardio you guys do? Also how many times a week?
Currently no cardio in the traditional sense. But lifting 400lb deadlifts and high rep walking lunges with 150-200lbs makes me breathe harder than anything. So you could say that's how I do cardio.
I used to to tabata jump rope, stairs, treadmill pushes...but my new way is more fun

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
he didnt mention it in this thread, but he has before in his others. hes ~36% bf. weight bearing exercises are pretty rough on the body at that size
weight bearing or impact based movements? as long as he is standing, even on an elliptical, he is weight bearing. and sitting would not make it intense enough to be considered HIIT.

also, running is not the only option to do cardio/conditioning, or HIIT. he could do swings, body weight squats to a bench, incline walking on a treadmill, stairmill, etc.

KimChee

KimChee

Awards
Good lord guys, thanks for the Tabata mention, I'm a regular HIIT'er and I did some tabata today it was killer! Gonna try and see how this does for a while.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Good lord guys, thanks for the Tabata mention, I'm a regular HIIT'er and I did some tabata today it was killer! Gonna try and see how this does for a while.
I'm sure heads turned when you were killing it. At my corporate ass gym, few people give 100% effort

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do my HIIT sessions at a 2:1 interval. So, 1 minute at high intensity (85-100%) and :30 very low, or 2 minutes/1 minute. I've been doing HIIT for a long time though so I'm used to it. It works. Keep at it big man, you'll see results.

texastea

Awards
What exercises are you able to maintain at high intensity for 2 minutes?

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

12.5mph treadmill "sprints". I then turn down the speed to 2.5mph for a minute and repeat.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

800M sprint = 2 minutes (probably closer to 700M for most people)

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If/when I ever decide to hiit I will do 30 second sprint 4 minute walk cycles.

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
800M sprint = 2 minutes (probably closer to 700M for most people)
Yeah, I believe 12.5mph to be just under a 5 minute mile so 2 minutes wouldn't quite make 800M. I'm not going at an all out sprint though, as I repeat the on/off for up to 20-25 minutes some sessions and an all out sprint would be too taxing for a session that long with 2:1 ratios. I'm not quite on the Bourne Identity level where I can sprint the length of a beach.

jerrysiii

jerrysiii

Awards
  • Established
I try to mimic strength training timing -- 30 seconds all out effort followed by 1.5 min "rest". Bike or rower work well. For me five sets is plenty. Including 1 min warm-up and cool down I'm done in 12 minutes.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I try to mimic strength training timing -- 30 seconds all out effort followed by 1.5 min "rest". Bike or rower work well. For me five sets is plenty. Including 1 min warm-up and cool down I'm done in 12 minutes.
Do you use a spin bike or 1 of those "regular" bikes?

jerrysiii

jerrysiii

Awards
  • Established
Do you use a spin bike or 1 of those "regular" bikes?
I have a Life Fitness bike. I do 30 seconds all out at level 16 followed by 1.5 min at level 3. I'm sure a spin bike would work well also.

The C2 rower is the best IMO

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have a Life Fitness bike. I do 30 seconds all out at level 16 followed by 1.5 min at level 3. I'm sure a spin bike would work well also.

The C2 rower is the best IMO
Ya the fitness center I go to has the life fitness bike. Don't seem like they would be ideal for going all out. Seems like a spin bike would be better suited. The place does have a C2 rower though. Might give that a shot.

KimChee

KimChee

Awards
I'm going to have to work up to the 10 minutes of tabata as the top level (20 cycles)...I made it 5 minutes 10 cycles today lol.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How often u guys doing it if you train weights 5 days per week? I'm currently trying to get 2 days of HIIT (one for speed intervals and one for hill intervals) on treadmill.. And 2 Days for prowler work...
I can't get to gym in weekends tho so I have to fit this in a 5 day split and it's really taxing on the Cns to the point I think I'm hindering fat loss....

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do HIIT two times a week and I'm on a four day lifting split. Usually on Weds and Saturdays and I'll mix in some LISS on one or two other days as well.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do HIIT two times a week and I'm on a four day lifting split. Usually on Weds and Saturdays and I'll mix in some LISS on one or two other days as well.
That's what I did when I was lifting 4x a week

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
dont do a 5 day split
Monday- Friday

Chest/shoulders(mid delts)/calves+HIIT post workout and prowler work

Back - no cardio/weighted carrieS

Legs/calves-LISS post workout

Arms- HIIT post workout

Shoulders/lats (additional lat work)- optional HIIT post workout and prowler work

I muh prefer 3 or 4 lifting days and I think in actually respond physique wise much better... But the current program im using to lean bulk and build a v taper shape (add on to my v taper shape) widening back and shoulders, dictates hitting back and shoulders twice a week...
So I try to keep my cardio away from those days to illicit more growth on those days and less calorie expenditure

I only do 3-4 sets of chest my chest is so fcking big lol and I'm doing 5/3/1 for squats and deads in leg day. So I do LISS then bc I couldn't handle HIIT

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
then lose the arm day or tack it onto back

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Monday- Friday

Chest/shoulders(mid delts)/calves+HIIT post workout and prowler work

Back - no cardio/weighted carrieS

Legs/calves-LISS post workout

Arms- HIIT post workout

Shoulders/lats (additional lat work)- optional HIIT post workout and prowler work
where do you squat? as its legs, abs and back. where do you deadlift as you use legs, back, abs, etc. so you are hitting arms 3 times a week (back, chest, shoulders)? shoulders twice a week with legs once. it seems you are doing the smallest body parts the most often with the largest the least often.

try reversing that and watch your body improve. or even better. design a 2 day workout with only 2 exercises in each workout. that will tell you exactly what is important to you. now, add in accessory work to improve those 2 workouts. spread out to your days as needed and you may have a good program.

even better, get on a proven program as you know they will work, that is why they are proven.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
where do you squat? as its legs, abs and back. where do you deadlift as you use legs, back, abs, etc. so you are hitting arms 3 times a week (back, chest, shoulders)? shoulders twice a week with legs once. it seems you are doing the smallest body parts the most often with the largest the least often.

try reversing that and watch your body improve. or even better. design a 2 day workout with only 2 exercises in each workout. that will tell you exactly what is important to you. now, add in accessory work to improve those 2 workouts. spread out to your days as needed and you may have a good program.

even better, get on a proven program as you know they will work, that is why they are proven.
I usually deadlift on back day but this program in Doing deads at the beginning of leg day and then right into squats

I started doing 5/3/1 for those lifts - I just finished one cycle and my dead lift was 280 for 2 and squat was 275 for 1 (following deadlift)

Most I ever dl was 285 during football and 325 squat. So these r great numbers for me considering I played at 185 and I am 165 right now and 3-4% less BF ad well. I also have low back and knee arthritis (I'm 25) and am 5 months of a Pituitary restart.

I'm going to start running 5/3/1 with the periodization bible for accessory work in January.