Cardio on my day off good or bad for muscle growth?

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
3 days strength training on with 1 day off which is either a true off day or a cardio session. This is the day after legworkout/squats.

Typically do 1 hour of hill running at variable high/low speed & elevation on a treadmill or elliptical. Something to work the heart into upper ranges but not over-rev.

Read where cardio workouts of this nature inhibits muscle repair. Is that correct or myth?

Also read where sprints are best as that gets both cardio and T-levels boosted.

Basically, asking what type of cardio should I be looking at for those off days as a best fit for a strength training program.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Unless you are so elite that you compete at the world stage, then you are splitting hairs and majoring in the minors.

And think of cardio as conditioning. Do what will make you better at lifting so you can reach your goals sooner.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do cardio on off days... You know what hurts your muscle growth..... CROSSFIT. that's all you need to know

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No man, average joe here trying to be healthy and look it. Fellow who wrote what I was referring to is actually a contest competitor so I suppose his comment is appropriate for that level.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
How long have you been doing this 3/1 split? Is it working? IMO 1 cardio day won't break down muscles, provided it's not prolonged steady state cardio.
Seems like a decent plan to me

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for asking. Started 3on/1off first week of October 2012. Seven months later still incrementally increasing weight moved and so pleased with the results. I was experiencing sleep issues before starting the extended workout plan and suppose I was overdoing it. Before it was 2on/1off and repeat. The extra day helps me recover. Still adjusting the workout. Learn new techniques here all the time.

S

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is crossfit really that bad? Lol. It looks like fun (I've never done it so maybe I'm wrong) you constantly mix things up. For me, after three months of traditional lifting, I want to poke my eyes out with a number two pencil.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Is crossfit really that bad? Lol. It looks like fun (I've never done it so maybe I'm wrong) you constantly mix things up. For me, after three months of traditional lifting, I want to poke my eyes out with a number two pencil.
Do it if you like. It's your world! I made my own version of it for about a year but now I'm back to lifting heavy

OHlympia

OHlympia

Awards
It's not that it's bad but it involved some more advanced techniques and lifts in their workouts that people have NO IDEA HOW TO REALLY DO. And the fact that its getting so "popular" you have normal joe and john in the corner trying to snatch, clean and press, overhead squat, etc.. lifts that take technique and form, of which they are just doing it because it's "CROSSFIT" and trying to the workout for "TIME" so instead of learning how to do things they just watch some stupid youtube video and in turn are just injuring themselves due to not knowing the proper technique...

That is how I feel about crossfit.... just my opnion

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
It's not that it's bad but it involved some more advanced techniques and lifts in their workouts that people have NO IDEA HOW TO REALLY DO. And the fact that its getting so "popular" you have normal joe and john in the corner trying to snatch, clean and press, overhead squat, etc.. lifts that take technique and form, of which they are just doing it because it's "CROSSFIT" and trying to the workout for "TIME" so instead of learning how to do things they just watch some stupid youtube video and in turn are just injuring themselves due to not knowing the proper technique...

That is how I feel about crossfit.... just my opnion
I had a discussion with an MMA fighter friend and another friend who owns 2 Crossfit franchises. The MMA guy was criticizing the kipping motions on exercises citing form and momentum. The Crossfit owner said CF is more about "total work" done, whether or not kipping is used. If a kip is used to generate more reps, that's almost all that matters from a CF perspective.

While there has been some great proven theories on forced reps for musclular hypertrophy, that is not necessarily the goals of CF