Shin Splints please help!

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.91%

Shin Splints please help!

Does anyone have any advice for dealing with shin splints or preventative measures that could be taken to avoid them in the future? I just started the fire academy and shin splints are killing me during pt.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.12%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Have you tried any trigger point, ball massage, ART, stretching?
    Do you get leg cramps at night at all?
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.91%

No its just been the typical leg stretches. Touch your toes, pull one leg back while standing, stuff like that. Lots of quad/ham/groin stretches. No I never really get muscle cramps, I stay pretty hydrated and get my potassium. Just these damn shin splints man. Felt like I could barely walk after running on the track today. But I've noticed it doesn't happen when we run stairs. Im assuming bc its less jarring on the shins.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.7%
    Achievements Posting Pro

stretching IMO is just bad. shin splints are an overuse injury and part of the injury can be tiny tears of muscles and tendons. so stretching is bad thing as it can inflame the microtrauma even more.

you have increased speed, volume, intensity, frequency, or all of them too much too quickly. and if you are in an academy and cant stop running then you are just going to have to suffer.

i would not ice it much and only to minimize pain as IMO it does not help but hinders recovery. same thing with anti-inflamatories.

i just hope you were professionally fit for proper running shoes. if not, you likely have the wrong type of supportive foot wear which is not helping much.

i would mainly suck it up, keep moving, and take some pain killers. it wont kill you nor leave you permanently injured.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.92%

[QUOTE="asooneyeonig;3963876"]

i would not ice it much and only to minimize pain as IMO it does not help but hinders recovery. same thing with anti-inflamatories.

i just hope you were professionally fit for proper running shoes. if not, you likely have the wrong type of supportive foot wear which is not helping much.

Agreed, but only if you are talking about a generalized icing.
    Pressure point icing (freeze Dixie cups of water, place them in a ziplock and rub injured areas with them) can help.

The only real cure is more running in proper shoes though
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.91%

Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post
    stretching IMO is just bad. shin splints are an overuse injury and part of the injury can be tiny tears of muscles and tendons. so stretching is bad thing as it can inflame the microtrauma even more.

you have increased speed, volume, intensity, frequency, or all of them too much too quickly. and if you are in an academy and cant stop running then you are just going to have to suffer.

i would mainly suck it up, keep moving, and take some pain killers. it wont kill you nor leave you permanently injured.
    Yea I went from doing my cardio by long distance swimming to running balls to the wall everday. Haha yea stopping isn't an option ill just have to push through till it goes away. I will try to go get professionally fit for running shoes though. Ive just been wearing some running shoes I grabbed from Academy and taking tylenol.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.92%

To get through the pain, use ice-cups and ibuprofen>Tylenol

Similar Forum Threads

1. shin splints, any help with?
    By lennoxchi in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-15-2008, 04:05 PM