Very overweight

OptimusX

Awards
Not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes.
I'm about 33% BF currently and would like to get down to around 15-17%. My current diet is around 1800 calories/day. I want to increase lean mass also. What would be a good starter approach ?

OptimusX

Awards
Are there any supplements I should consider at this point, any specific workout plans I should try out ?

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The easiest thing to do IMO is download myfitnesspal app on your phone and scan in the foods you eat for like a week, and then subtract like 300-500 calories a day.

As far as programming it really depends on training level, what your exact goals are, injuries, time you have to dedicate.

Supplements...well they only help a little IMO. That's not a bad thing though. Something with appetite suppression would be good(ie dexaprine, alphamine, etc).

I would start with the diet, then training, then supplements or fat loss. It will take time, but it can happen if you really go for it. Just takes time.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
Not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes.
I'm about 33% BF currently and would like to get down to around 15-17%. My current diet is around 1800 calories/day. I want to increase lean mass also. What would be a good starter approach ?
try eating 150 to 200 cals less aday and find a good workout program, you will want to lose fat but gain muscle...........try jim wendlers 5/3/1 program

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
try eating 150 to 200 cals less aday and find a good workout program, you will want to lose fat but gain muscle...........try jim wendlers 5/3/1 program
Do that program. The north of vag version.

As for diet, up your protein, jack your fat up as high as you can, and cut carbs out everywhere but post workout.

OptimusX

Awards
Also, I had my test checked about 6-7 months ago, twice, about 8 weeks apart. Came back at 219 and 243.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
Also, I had my test checked about 6-7 months ago, twice, about 8 weeks apart. Came back at 219 and 243.
the talk to your Dr. or get and Endo. my test was 160 (im 37yrs old) ive been on Test shots for about 9 months now and im at 533. i can tell my muscles are getting harder and my measurements are getting smaller.......so go talk to your Dr. and start taking Test.......you will not regret it

OptimusX

Awards
I saw a doc when I had those tests ran, doc said it was low, but within the acceptable range. So, no further action was needed.

joeblow1

Awards
I saw a doc when I had those tests ran, doc said it was low, but within the acceptable range. So, no further action was needed.
Your doc is a ****ing moron. Those are way below acceptable ranges. Anything below 330 is below normal, which is way to low IMO. I keep mine around 1200 during cruises lol. That's above above normal and I wouldn't want anything less during my cruise. And as far as your diet goes how long have you been eating 1800 calories? That seems way to low and you should be well under 30% bf. Thats obese level bf and to get there you have to eat a hell of a lot more then that. But regardless, find out what your maintenance cals are then subtract 500. Start lifting weights and doing cardio 3 times a week. Then when you slow down on weightloss add another day in. Once you get to 5-6 days a week and start plateauing on weightloss, subtract more calories. Also keep in mind your nutrients need to come from quality clean foods. Keep protein high, fats moderate, and carbs low. Once you get down to your desired bf then begin to lean bulk. But for now just focus on fat loss. Oh and find a doc that has a clue and get put on hrt.

OptimusX

Awards
I just started the calorie count about 3 weeks ago. I try to keep track of everything I eat now, which is mostly skinless chicken breast, various varieties of "steamers" vege packs, tilapia, protein shakes, post work out,from the gym(lifetime fitness). According to the app that I use for keeping track, my ratios have been around 40/30/30 with a 5% shift somedays to 35/25 on the carbs/fats.

joeblow1

Awards
I just started the calorie count about 3 weeks ago. I try to keep track of everything I eat now, which is mostly skinless chicken breast, various varieties of "steamers" vege packs, tilapia, protein shakes, post work out,from the gym(lifetime fitness). According to the app that I use for keeping track, my ratios have been around 40/30/30 with a 5% shift somedays to 35/25 on the carbs/fats.
Bump the protein up to 45, fats to 35, and drop carbs to 20. The carbs are your enemy when cutting and your savior when bulking. Once you start to plateau I suggest carb cycling or the carb night diet. Actually you may want to just start out with carb night if you have a lot of fat to lose. You can get the jist of it for free online. Or you can spend $20 a get the full book on exactly how to do it step by step. The book is by John keifer and lots of people have used the program successfully.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Bump the protein up to 45, fats to 35, and drop carbs to 20. The carbs are your enemy when cutting and your savior when bulking. Once you start to plateau I suggest carb cycling or the carb night diet. Actually you may want to just start out with carb night if you have a lot of fat to lose. You can get the jist of it for free online. Or you can spend $20 a get the full book on exactly how to do it step by step. The book is by John keifer and lots of people have used the program successfully.
THIS. Carb Nite absolutely works and I've lost over 60lbs of fat doing it.

Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister

Awards
  • Established
I'd suggest 5/3/1 with limited accessory. Maybe even BBB and spend the bulk if your time conditioning. Hills, prowler, rope, hell just take the dog out for an hour a couple times a week.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
5/3/1 would be a very good starting program. A good diet will be the best thing to help with the weight loss. Also if you want an extra something to help with recovery Finaflex BCAA+SAA would be a great choice. Also PX Black or Pro Xanthine 500-XT would help keep the appetite in check as well as giving you some extra energy throughout the day and before the gym.