Back in the game after 2 year break. Need advice

Gbaumer

Gbaumer

Awards
I'm in need of some help and this is my first post on this forum. I need some training advice. Ill give you a little background. Im not new to the game, and know quite a bit. 2 years ago I was an ideal example of a dedicated bodybuilder. I was eating spot on and had such a good knowledge of my body and how it grew I could create my own techniques and lifts to grow the way that best suited me. I'm 5'4 and was sitting at 180 with about 15% bf. I was very well trained. I am also no newbie to anabolics. I know my stuff and how to do them properly.
It all fell apart quickly and I fell into a very dark time in my life. I stopped lifting and eating (only 500 to 1000 calories of crap food a day) for over 2 years. I lost pretty much all my mass I had poured my guts out for.
But my second coming has come and I'm ready to get back in the game. I'm cleaner and healthier than ever and my motivation, drive and ambition. I've been eating great (3-4k cals a day) and need training advice.
I was at one point very strong( 350 bench/450 dead/415 squat). But I'm weak as a baby now. What's the best way to hit the weights again? How should I go about retraining my body to gather my strength and mass right? Squats and deads are a must obviously. Since I've returned to the gym the pumps I get are massive, almost to where I can't move whatever body part I'm working out. Any training advice to get back in the game properly would be great. Sorry for the rant. Ask me any info I need to add for an answer.

napalm

napalm

Awards
What kind of advice are you looking for specifically? If you're "not new to the game and know quite a bit," you should know where you need to start.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What's the best way to hit the weights again? How should I go about retraining my body to gather my strength and mass right?
Yeah, what napalm said.
And in fact, it would most likely be easier to regain your lost mass/strength, than starting new.
What routine(s)/set ups did you do before, to reach your 350/415/450?

Any training advice to get back in the game properly would be great.
I think we make this more complicated than it really is. It is basically just being consistent, focused and working hard on a good routine. If you don't do those, no program will produce.

Gbaumer

Gbaumer

Awards
I'm looking for types of training after a long break. Should I be training for strength and hit it hard. Or for the first few months should I start training at a slower pace using machines and trying to regain my muscle coordination. I'm scared of overtraining, as my mind thinks my body can do much more than it can right now. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

napalm

napalm

Awards
I'm looking for types of training after a long break. Should I be training for strength and hit it hard. Or for the first few months should I start training at a slower pace using machines and trying to regain my muscle coordination. I'm scared of overtraining, as my mind thinks my body can do much more than it can right now. Sorry if this is a stupid question.
First off, overtraining isn't your "mind thinking your body can do much more." There are a few active threads regarding overtraining. Listen to what Jason (zir red) has to say, he's prolly the most knowledgeable on the forum. Listen to rodja after that. Second, no need to do just machines, most of them are garbage anyway. Finally you had to have had a template you were working from to get you to the lifts you posted.

Do that...

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There's no overtraining, only under eating. :D

I say just get back in the gym and re-familiarize yourself with the big, important movements. Start a journal, define a goal, work.