How much should i be lifting

butrybench555

Awards
I'm 16 and have been lifting for 2-3 years. I weigh 150. I bench 210. Is that good. What should be my goal for this August

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There's guys that are 150lbs that could bench 405lbs and there's guys that could bench 210lbs. It all depends on your diet, training, and technique.

If your goal is a big bench, then start training and eating for it. Are you seriously looking for a random number for someone to tell you? Strive for what you think you can do. Implement a training plan and perfect technique.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
I've always considered 1.5x bw to be respectable and 2+x bw to be impressive

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
I agree with Sean. It really depends on what your goals are too. Are you looking to gain a tons of size and huge numbers? IMO a 210 bench weighing 150 is pretty dam good. Can you get more...of course, but you are off to a good start. Keep eating big and lifting big and just set goals for yourself

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
#210 @ 16 is not bad at all.

There's guys that are 150lbs that could bench 405lbs and there's guys that could bench 210lbs. It all depends on your diet, training, and technique.
Yeah, I see what you're saying, but I also think there is a difference between a young person who is still growing, and an adult with all the hormones in place, along with maybe possibly using extra stuff, along with being built specifically for a given lift, having most likely more training time in and perhaps even using a shirt of some kind!? Just sayin'
Take that into account and his BP is pretty great for his age IMO.

It is very hard to give you any real standards IMO, since you are in a constant transition phase of becoming an adult male and may have growth spurts in bone & fiber mass going on.
Don't worry about it too much and just have fun getting stronger dude.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
#210 @ 16 is not bad at all.

Yeah, I see what you're saying, but I also think there is a difference between a young person who is still growing, and an adult with all the hormones in place, along with maybe possibly using extra stuff, along with being built specifically for a given lift, having most likely more training time in and perhaps even using a shirt of some kind!? Just sayin'
Take that into account and his BP is pretty great for his age IMO.

It is very hard to give you may standards IMO, since you are in a constant transition phase of becoming and adult male and may have growth spurts in bone & fiber mass.
Don't worry about it too much and just have fun getting stronger dude.
I agree Paul and you may have taken that out of context, or I said it wrong. My main point was that everybody is different: body types, experience, nutrition, ect so it's impossible to assign him a number to achieve. I would be content with "as much as I can lift" instead of a #. That's a very good bench for his age and body weight.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree Paul and you may have taken that out of context, or I said it wrong. My main point was that everybody is different: body types, experience, nutrition, ect so it's impossible to assign him a number to achieve. I would be content with "as much as I can lift" instead of a #. That's a very good bench for his age and body weight.
There you go and yes good points to ponder.

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
Why just worried about bench. Worry about squat and dead lift. They'll make you and your bench bigger :). A big bench is cool but you need to keep everything even that way when you get old like me you don't need surgery like me to fix your shoulders because you never worked your rear delts or back a day in your life and get laughed at because your calves are so small.

pmdied

Awards
Why just worried about bench. Worry about squat and dead lift. They'll make you and your bench bigger :). A big bench is cool but you need to keep everything even that way when you get old like me you don't need surgery like me to fix your shoulders because you never worked your rear delts or back a day in your life and get laughed at because your calves are so small.
^^this. Squat and dead lift, and all will be right in the world...