Periodization Question

  1. Registered User
    ForceOneSeven's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    88
    Answers
    0

    Periodization Question


    I've been reading through a lot of logs/Threads here and have found very good information. I've seen a lot of refrence towards workout splits for recomp. etc

    I was wondering if some of the more experienced guys here could lay out their periodization schedule over a year? How long do you run each individual program? and what types of exercises/ rep ranges go into each program.

    I was thinking about running a recomp log this summer following Norton's PHAT with a nice little supplement stack. I will go into further detail if this threads gets some good feedback. Basically want to know how long you guys would run a recomp and what follows for the rest of the year etc.

    Thanks

  2. Registered User
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Answers
    0


    What are you training for, what are your training goals? I train for speed and power, so my form of periodization will likely be different than what you are looking for if it is hypertrophy.

    To make things simple, stagnation and accomodation generally occur following 3-5 weeks of doing the same thing. So changing reps, sets, intensities, exercises, every 3-5 weeks is recommended. The trick then becomes how you transition between these changes to induce the desired result.

    Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS
  3. Registered User
    ForceOneSeven's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    88
    Answers
    0


    Awesome, I train very similarly. I've been following a couple Defranco templates since December trying to increase athletic ability/pure power. However this summer I want to grow so I was planning on dropping weight drastically and instead begin to focus on contractions for hypertrophy purposes. I am currently 22, 6'2 and fluctuate between 185-190 lbs. my goal is to get to at least 205 by the end of summer.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Answers
    0


    You still need to provide a stimulus for growth, so don't drop weight drastically. TUT plays a role, but with higher rep ranges TUT will increase. My suggestion is to rotate back and forth between hypertrophy concentrated blocks (2 x 3 week blocks) and strength concentrated loading (1 x 3 week block).

    The strength increases will provide for a greater potential stimulus during the hypertrophy phase, and thus greater gains in size.

    Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS
  5. Registered User
    ForceOneSeven's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    88
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    My suggestion is to rotate back and forth between hypertrophy concentrated blocks (2 x 3 week blocks) and strength concentrated loading (1 x 3 week block).

    Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS

    Would you mind breaking this down a bit further for me? As of now I'm planning on running the PHAT routine that incorpates hypertrophy and strength days within the same week.
  6. Registered User
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Answers
    0


    Sure.

    3 week block of hypertrophy training:
    week 1 3 x 12 reps
    week 2 3 x 10 reps
    week 3 4 x 8 reps
    Change exercises, repeat for 3 weeks.

    Then run a 3 week strength block
    week 1 4 x 5
    week 2 5 x 3
    week 3 6 x 2

    Then go back to hypetrophy.
  7. Registered User
    ForceOneSeven's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    88
    Answers
    0


    Ok cool. Are these numbers just for compound movements or should I be trying to hit these rep ranges with each exercise?
  8. Registered User
    ForceOneSeven's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    88
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Sure.

    3 week block of hypertrophy training:
    week 1 3 x 12 reps
    week 2 3 x 10 reps
    week 3 4 x 8 reps
    Change exercises, repeat for 3 weeks.

    Then run a 3 week strength block
    week 1 4 x 5
    week 2 5 x 3
    week 3 6 x 2

    Then go back to hypetrophy.
    Do you run this switching between etc over the course of a year???
  9. Registered User
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ForceOneSeven View Post
    Do you run this switching between etc over the course of a year???
    The numbers in the hypertrophy range can be applied to nearly all movements. In the strength phase you will use them on major movements and then probably work in the 4-6 range on ancillaries and higher for core/fixator.

    You could run a schematic like this year round. Its a basic layout, and really depends on how you are progressing and what your overall goal is. Incorporating some dynamic work would eventually be a good idea, and even a short (2-3 week) dynamic block to increase motor programming and neurodyanmic rate in order to get a greater recruitment of muscle fibers come the following hypertrophy phase, and thus enhanced growth.

    Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS
  10. Registered User
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,098
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Sure.

    3 week block of hypertrophy training:
    week 1 3 x 12 reps
    week 2 3 x 10 reps
    week 3 4 x 8 reps
    Change exercises, repeat for 3 weeks.

    Then run a 3 week strength block
    week 1 4 x 5
    week 2 5 x 3
    week 3 6 x 2

    Then go back to hypetrophy.
    Nice layout. Could you run a one month cycle of 5/3/1 with say a BBB template then revert to a hypertrophy specific program?

    I'm loving 5/3/1 so i don't want to drop it
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  11. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,795
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ForceOneSeven View Post
    Awesome, I train very similarly. I've been following a couple Defranco templates since December trying to increase athletic ability/pure power. However this summer I want to grow so I was planning on dropping weight drastically and instead begin to focus on contractions for hypertrophy purposes. I am currently 22, 6'2 and fluctuate between 185-190 lbs. my goal is to get to at least 205 by the end of summer.
    Defrancos WS4SB would work nicely for your goals
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  12. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,795
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Nice layout. Could you run a one month cycle of 5/3/1 with say a BBB template then revert to a hypertrophy specific program?

    I'm loving 5/3/1 so i don't want to drop it
    Sure why not? You can just use Jays suggested setxrep for the assistence movements
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  13. Registered User
    rob112's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,114
    Answers
    1


    Your could pay Rodja or ZirRed for their services with a personalized training template with focus on personal goals and weaknesses.

    Or jump on some 5/3/1...
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  14. Registered User
    ForceOneSeven's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    88
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post

    Defrancos WS4SB would work nicely for your goals
    Definetly and it has. It's just that I've been training with that program for some time...ready for a change.
  15. Registered User
    pmdied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    287
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Sure.

    3 week block of hypertrophy training:
    week 1 3 x 12 reps
    week 2 3 x 10 reps
    week 3 4 x 8 reps
    Change exercises, repeat for 3 weeks.

    Then run a 3 week strength block
    week 1 4 x 5
    week 2 5 x 3
    week 3 6 x 2

    Then go back to hypetrophy.
    Thanks Red. I'm going to rip this off!
  16. Registered User
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,098
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post

    Sure why not? You can just use Jays suggested setxrep for the assistence movements
    Seems like a slow way to go; but the way my workouts are programmed now I run the 5/3/1 + BBB and a hypertrophy template simultaneously.

    But trying to increase volume to avoid stagnation is damn hard when the BBB is insane on squat and DL day. Also given I work out the muscle groups twice per week.

    I hadn't considered splitting them into two phases; i'll give it a try
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  17. Registered User
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Seems like a slow way to go; but the way my workouts are programmed now I run the 5/3/1 + BBB and a hypertrophy template simultaneously.

    But trying to increase volume to avoid stagnation is damn hard when the BBB is insane on squat and DL day. Also given I work out the muscle groups twice per week.

    I hadn't considered splitting them into two phases; i'll give it a try
    It's goal dependent. If your goal is strength you would probably modify it such that you are doing 2-3 blocks of concentrated strength and power work for every 1 block of hypertrophy training. You can work frequency tolerance during the strength and power training (i.e.: train each movement 2x per week, with lower volume and lower fatigue per workout) and then work on fatigue tolerance during hypertrophy (once every 5-8 days, but with high volume and high fatigue from each workout).
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Epistan cycle-question about the after pct period
    By Mephisto in forum Celtic Labs
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-20-2011, 06:01 PM
  2. Period question
    By wrestler4life in forum Female Fitness
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-12-2010, 02:23 AM
  3. question concerning periodization and hormones
    By Bas4Lizzife in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-28-2004, 05:40 PM
  4. Question about T-1 Pro??
    By windwords7 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 12-31-2002, 04:07 PM
  5. 1-test questions
    By Sanosuke in forum Supplements
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-29-2002, 09:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in