Dislocated Shoulder

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anyone here have any experience with one? I dislocated mine pretty bad on Saturday, it was out for around 2 1/2 hours. I have MRI and appointment with orthopedic this afternoon. Just looking for some hopeful good news!

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I've had two surgeries related to my left shoulder dislocation. The main one related to the dislocation itself was an orthoscopic surgery to repair the labrum , remove bone fragments(caused by violent dislocation) and anchor my shoulder in place. Mine was dislocated so badly my hand could cup my knee cap standing up. It was gnarly and to top it off I wouldn't let the EMTs take me to the hospital until my Harley was off the road and safe so I tried to put it back in using the bumper of the ambulance as leverage. A foolish attempt and I sickened 3 EMTs. It sound like yours was out far enough that you most likely tore your labrum as well pretty good. That needs surgery if you plan to be active and lift weights etc. No matter how strong you get there will be instability with that shoulder until its anchored and the tissue is surgically repaired. For example, i could lift as i could before the accident and make gains but reaching across the table to grab the salt would surely drop my shpulder out.Got orthoscopic at all cost, not open surgery if you do. The healing time and additional tissue damage and scar tissue is significantly less. I have only two 1/2-3/4 inch scars you cant see unless pointed out (hidden in tattoo lines) from the one surgery as my body has a huge scar across his shoulder area from his and his. Hopefully you talk to a good ortho and he/she directs you well and does a good job . Good luck

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good luck...3 surgeries in myself. 1 left 2 right. One on each was to anchor it in, and the second one on the right was to take out an anchor that had become loose and stuck in the joint.

If the dislocation as that violent....you will almost certainly need surgery. The good thing for me is that after the 3 surgeries, I have had no issues resuming weight training or any other activities.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
thanks for the well wishes and stories guys. I met with an ortho yesterday and am in this sling for two weeks before a follow up. Shes worried I tore my rotator cuff but thought i should wait til my next appointment for an mri. If its feeling better i wont get an mri but start rehab. Hoping for no surgery! Ill post my xray in the next post, pretty nuts! And mine happened playing shortstop in a baseball game, i dove full extension for a line drive, caught it but landed with enough force and awkwardly enough to knock it out. Im 30 so the doc said my chance of redislocation is less than a younger person. Lol, its hard to type one handed.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So it's been about a week and a half now. Still pretty painful to move, I'm only out of the sling to shower and change so the fact that it's still painful has me worried about something being torn but I'll know more on Tuesday. As far as working out, I've been doing legs and cardio on the bike, I've also been lifting my good arm with light weights as I've been told that can actually help the other arm out. Anyone else ever heard anything like that?

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I did back in 2004 in a workplace accident.(I fell on wet pavement and used my arm to stop my fall. It did only too well) Popped the joint back in myself within a few seconds.(balled fist in armpit) Returned to normalcy after 6 months convalescing. Did not need a sling or Dr. visit and has never bothered me again. It was rather tender during certain movements such as turning a steering wheel or reaching out/up with the arm outstretched. I did feel some rotator cuff tenderness when starting to lift some serious weights last year but all gone now. Probably due to form and not the injury.

Obviously you have something more serious than my episode.

Wish you speedy and complete recovery.

KimChee

KimChee

Awards
I didn't read the thread much by like mike said, above there is a very good chance you have will need labral repair. The glenoid labrum is a fibrous ring that is in the glenoid fossa that helps deepen the socket. It also helps hold the head of the humerus up in there, the head of the humerus came out and "chipped" the glenoid labrum on the way out...

You won't know anything until your MRI comes back, but it is likely you will need a labral repair. You're looking at about 6-8 weeks of physical therapy, and if you have a torn RTC it really depends on how big the tear is.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I didn't read the thread much by like mike said, above there is a very good chance you have will need labral repair. The glenoid labrum is a fibrous ring that is in the glenoid fossa that helps deepen the socket. It also helps hold the head of the humerus up in there, the head of the humerus came out and "chipped" the glenoid labrum on the way out...

You won't know anything until your MRI comes back, but it is likely you will need a labral repair. You're looking at about 6-8 weeks of physical therapy, and if you have a torn RTC it really depends on how big the tear is.
Ouch, I'm hoping that's not the case. But my doc was worried about my rotator cuff being torn so that's worse. Well, I should have an MRI on Tuesday after my follow up appointment so I'm crossing my fingers but kinda worried

KimChee

KimChee

Awards
Yes an RTC repair is a more serious surgery..let's hope that you don't have any tears at all. Let us know how the MRI turns out..

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well they were very pleased with my ROM so they thought to forgo the MRI and get right into PT so that's awesome. Lots of humbling band exercises to really strengthen those small muscles. Said it should be at least four weeks til I can do any real weight. Good news is I'm out of the damn sling. And they told me I can lift my bi's and tri's if I keep it light but no chest or shoulders, so I'm gonna bro it up in that gym! Except I'll be doing legs and cardio as well.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So its pretty humbling going to the gym and lifting light. Before my injury I was curling 50's now they don't want me to go over 25. Can't wait till I can start hitting it Hard again! Although this has basically acted like a cutting phase since I've lost some weight but unfortunately some of that weight has definitely been muscle

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So an unfortunate update. Everything was going well, was back to lifting hard and even playing baseball again. Was playing very well too so that makes this even harder but I ended up dislocating it again last week. I have to go in on Thursday for an arthogram and MRI to see what damage I did this time. Doc thinks I probably have a SLAP tear judging by her exam. Hoping for the best but looks like surgery is in the future for me. And with a daughter due on September 30th I'm hoping if I do need surgery I can get it ASAP so I'm close to all good by the time she's born. Definitely sucks not being able to do the two things that I really enjoyed though, those being lifting and baseball. Kinda bummed!

Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister

Awards
  • Established
Good luck, I've heard from different people that if you're diligent you can come back from a Labrum tear.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
If you get surgery go orthoscopic. I had my left shoulder severely dislocated in a motorcycle accident and had surgery 6 months later to repair the torn labrum, anchor the shoulder and remove bone fragments from the joint. They buttoned it up pretty tight. Took alot of hard work and intensive therapy to get it strong and flexible again but it's strong. Still have a problem holding the bar for squats as ROM is not the greatest up there but that's pretty much the only lift I have trouble with as a result of the injury.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yea, doc said unless something crazy showed up on the MRI it would probably be arthroscopic surgery. Definitely not looking forward to the arthogram on thursday though!

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So got the results back, surgery next Friday unfortunately. Have a pretty severe slap tear, and doc said that I was born without a portion of my labrum so that's not helping things. Not looking forward to it but will take PT as a challenge and kick it's ass and be back to normal in no time!

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
So got the results back, surgery next Friday unfortunately. Have a pretty severe slap tear, and doc said that I was born without a portion of my labrum so that's not helping things. Not looking forward to it but will take PT as a challenge and kick it's ass and be back to normal in no time!
Just remember to take it slow with the weights an listen to your PT. hopefully you get a sports related PT or request one. I went through two crappy PT clinics who were awful till I got one that was ran by an athlete herself with a PHD. arthroscopic you feel healed faster then an open surgery so its easy to over do it and re-injure yourself.

Can they do anything to correct that missing labrum section did they say?

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just remember to take it slow with the weights an listen to your PT. hopefully you get a sports related PT or request one. I went through two crappy PT clinics who were awful till I got one that was ran by an athlete herself with a PHD. arthroscopic you feel healed faster then an open surgery so its easy to over do it and re-injure yourself.

Can they do anything to correct that missing labrum section did they say?
The PT's actually work with the University athletes where I'm from so all good there! They said they would just need to do some general tightening as well as repair the tear due to the missing labrum. They said it's not too common but not that rare. They had a medical term for it but I can't remember

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just remembered, it's called a Buford complex. I guess only 2% of the population has it so I suppose I should go play the lottery!

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Cool, well it sounds like you're in good hands. Good luck with the surgery and enjoy the goofy drugs they give ya. Iono what it is but I always roll into the OR cracking up from the pre anesthesia they give and the dilauded after isn't a bad trip either, then its norcos and television for the next couple weeks. Like a mini blurry vacation. I can't remember but I think they started my PT only a week or two after the surgery so it doesn't get that depressing since you get to work on your recovery soon after. Keep us updated

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Will do good sir, thanks for following along!

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So had surgery yesterday. Went pretty well, I got a pain block that wore off late last night so I've been in a pretty decent amount of pain. Have a cooler hooked up to my arm that's pretty sweet, percocet for the pain and some muscle relaxers. The percocet definitely knocks me on my ass, thank God for my wife who wakes me up to take them or I'd wake up in a lot more pain. Also, sleeping sitting up is easier than I thought

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Definitely not a fan of percocet

madripper32

madripper32

Awards
  • Established
Yea I think I am going to have surgery on mine also been doing PT on it but no real relief yet might be better off cept I have an 9 month old and I'm kinda mr mom right now.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Be careful with them brother, I have sadly seen too many good people become addicted to them and ruin their lives. Some in the end losing them.
Oh I'm all good in that front, they make me so tired and out of it I'm already weaning off. My wife is a substance abuse social worker so even if I wanted to take more than prescribes she'd be all over it!

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yea I think I am going to have surgery on mine also been doing PT on it but no real relief yet might be better off cept I have an 9 month old and I'm kinda mr mom right now.
Yea if its a labrum tear it'll never heal on its own, but sounds like you can wait a bit for it? There's no real good time to do it but if your taking care of a little one you'll def be laid up for awhile