2 a day training?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Answers

2 a day training?

So with a new baby on the way, full time work, husband, and daddy duties my gym time is hard to come by, but I make it work. That said I'm used to a 5 day split and will have to cut to a 4 day split this week for the forseeable future. My usual layout is as follows:
    Sat: Chest
    Sun: Back
    Mon: Legs
    Tues: Shoulders
    Wed: Arms
    Thurs and Fri: Off

I will no longer have Mondays to train, but Tuesday I can toss legs in the AM and shoulders in the PM. Is that too much and should I just work shoulders in on chest and back and sub in legs for tuesday? Thoughts on best approach?
    Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD shall be a light unto me. Micah 7:8

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Answers

well think of it this way. your og plan sucks

you have 4 upper body days to one lower body day. and arm only days are ego days and pretty close to useless

thats just my first impression without the details. but it seems you could do with a better more rounded routine that will protect you from muscle imbalances and other possible issues
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by OnionKnight View Post
    well think of it this way. your og plan sucks

you have 4 upper body days to one lower body day. and arm only days are ego days and pretty close to useless

thats just my first impression without the details. but it seems you could do with a better more rounded routine that will protect you from muscle imbalances and other possible issues
    So I do arm only days since I responded better to that training rather then the whole back/bi, chest/tri method. So an example of a good plan in your eyes would be? I had been splitting leg in to deads + hams one day and squats/leg press/extensions on another. I try to keep my lifting to sub 1hr. sessions since I toss in cardio 2-3 day a week 20-30min. at seperate time from my lifting.
    Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD shall be a light unto me. Micah 7:8
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Answers

IMO, you could do less days a week (3), freeing up even more family time and get more out of gym time by doing a less pieced up program with mostly the little muscle groups and concentrate more on the big 5-7 compound exercises training most of the body 2/3 times per week. Overtime the adaptation that would take place, would have you building a good deep foundation and a good fitness and strength/power level.
    I'd think more of training the body and especially the largest musculature of it than certain exercises or body parts.
    Honestly, (and I am not trying to be a smart arse) routines in Starr's KTP or Rips SS or McRoberts Brawn or Steiner's HG Bible are proven programs that far outshine what less experienced trainees can come up with.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by tilldeath View Post
    So with a new baby on the way, full time work, husband, and daddy duties my gym time is hard to come by, but I make it work. That said I'm used to a 5 day split and will have to cut to a 4 day split this week for the forseeable future. My usual layout is as follows:

I will no longer have Mondays to train, but Tuesday I can toss legs in the AM and shoulders in the PM. Is that too much and should I just work shoulders in on chest and back and sub in legs for tuesday? Thoughts on best approach?
    Plenty of options out there; 5/3/1 for example can be a 4 day program with tremendous results and with not alot of time spent in the gym.

I agree though that you to balance out upper body to lower body ratio; which 5/3/1 does. One day could be anterior chain dominant and the other posterior chain dominant (front and back respectively) and the other two days upper body.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  95k lbs.
    Answers

It is looking like more for uper body and less for lower body. so make workout plan for both equal, so you get balance. and more thing is about legs and shoulders, try to make between in two days.
    Anabolic steroids | Steroid Cycles
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Answers

So I do arm only days since I responded better to that training rather then the whole back/bi, chest/tri method. So an example of a good plan in your eyes would be? I had been splitting leg in to deads + hams one day and squats/leg press/extensions on another. I try to keep my lifting to sub 1hr. sessions since I toss in cardio 2-3 day a week 20-30min. at seperate time from my lifting.
    i was gonna suggest 5/3/1 too since it can be done 4 days a week. but if you want to make your own, try to keep lower and upper balanced. unless your form of cardio is hiit traini with sprints

something like chest/arms, back/shoulders, posterior chain, anterior chain. so you do like you said and split the legs into deads and squats/leg press
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

What are your goals?
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post
    What are your goals?
    Ideally like 215lb. @ 8% not super worried about strength I always consider it a by product of increased muscle.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

How long have you been lifting? How long have you been doing your current program?

Hows your diet? For example, list exactly what you one day.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Answers

5/3/1 can also be broken into 3 days if needed. I forgot how Wendler stated in his book you can do it but I can look it up for you if you're interested.

I got a 16 month old boy, no way in hell would I have the energy to do 2-a-days.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

You could also google dan john and his mass made simplr workouts. I think they are 2 to 3 days a week. Throw in some conditioning when done lifting and get on a great nutrition program like intermittent fasting and you should be able to reach your goals and have lots of time to hold up your other commitments.

I would not recommend 2 a days. In my experience you dont save much time and most of the time you use more time due to twice the time spent warming up and cooling down and showers.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    5/3/1 can also be broken into 3 days if needed. I forgot how Wendler stated in his book you can do it but I can look it up for you if you're interested.

I got a 16 month old boy, no way in hell would I have the energy to do 2-a-days.
    It's just an expanded week, IIRC, although one does have the option of combining OHP and deadlifts.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. three day training question
    By philp in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-27-2010, 06:27 PM
  2. Please can you rate my new Split 5 day training schedule!
    By AdamSweeting in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-29-2009, 04:52 PM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-28-2009, 09:58 PM
  4. 3 Day Training Split
    By Future in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-08-2009, 08:18 PM
  5. 7 day training ???
    By mattakaspeedy in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12