Can Max-OT Cardio improve running endurance/performance?
- 04-15-2013, 08:47 AM
- 04-19-2013, 06:37 AM
- 04-20-2013, 01:20 PM
I don't know what Max-OT cardio is.
What type of running performance (distance, terrain, speed) are you trying to improve?
04-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Here's a link to a description of Max-OT cardio: AST Sports Science - High-Performance Sports Nutrition Supplements
I am currently running 1 mile in about 9.5 minutes. I would like to be able to shave off time from my time and be able to increase the distance. I would say I am interested in developing my endurance.
04-21-2013, 02:02 PM
So its basically just HIIT with a lot of AST/MaxOT rhetoric thrown into the description. On the bike will do little for you. Doing it with running will help.
If you want to decrease your mile time you need to:
1. Learn to run efficiently (i.e: running economy). This is like skill work, done at low intensity with a very high emphasis placed on form and a low level of fatigue.
2. Increase VO2max. This can be done with short, high intensity intervals. In your case running repeat 600's at well below your mile pace. Maybe 4-5 of them with a work to rest ratio of 1:2 or 1:3, and running each one 1:50 (based on mile time).
3. Increase lactate threshold. This can be done by (in your situation) running a mile at slightly below your mile pace (about 10-12 minutes), resting 3-5 min, then repeating.
Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS
04-21-2013, 06:24 PM
04-21-2013, 08:28 PM
2. What are 600's? What are you referring to by the work to rest ratio: my rest time should be 2-3x as long as my working times?
3. Sounds simple enough. Run my mile slower than I normally do, rest and repeat. How often should this be repeated: 2-3x max?
04-21-2013, 09:03 PM
2. 600 meter runs. yes, you are correct in that case of the work to rest. So if it takes 2-3 minutes to run a 600, you should rest for 4-6.
04-22-2013, 06:32 AM
So, to summarize:
Increase VO2 Max
4-5x600's (above mile pace)
Work to rest ratio: 1:2/1:3
Goal time per interval: 1:50 min.
Increase Lactate Threshold
1 mile x 10-12 min.
Rest 3-5 min.
Sounds like a challenge to me. Challenge accepted.
04-22-2013, 07:29 AM
04-22-2013, 08:22 AM
04-22-2013, 09:13 AM
04-22-2013, 09:23 AM
Similar Forum Threads
- By julius kelp in forum Training ForumReplies: 0Last Post: 05-31-2005, 10:36 PM
- By Blindfaith in forum Training ForumReplies: 38Last Post: 08-31-2004, 05:49 PM
- By good_guye28 in forum Weight LossReplies: 7Last Post: 06-27-2004, 10:28 AM
- By hulkster in forum Training ForumReplies: 3Last Post: 02-03-2004, 01:39 AM
- By poseidon in forum Training ForumReplies: 4Last Post: 08-16-2003, 01:23 AM