Upper Chest question

CStank89

CStank89

Awards
So I feel like on a lot of my upper chest movements my shoulders are overpowering the movement and I'm not getting the maximum out of those movements. Any pointers on how to isolate the Pectoralis Major. I feel as though its my lacking point on my body.. Its STONG but the mass just isn't there. For a typical "chest" day.. I would do, flat bench, 5 sets.. 2 warm up sets of 10-12 reps with 3 working sets 8-10 reps.. followed by incline bench with 4 sets, 1 warm up 3 working sets.. followed by pec deck fly's 3 sets.. then i do decline DB or BB (switch week to week) presses 3sets.. followed by incline DB fly's and I super-set it with incline DB presses..I also throw in a few cable movements like cable crossovers and such.. I know placement and angle of the arms/elbows pay a key part. Like the closer your elbows to your sides the more you activate your chest while the further away (more of a 90.. from your body) you tend to use your anterior delt. (correct me if im wrong).. Any advice will be appreciated thanks in advance -Chris

hubbabubba

hubbabubba

Awards
If you have an adjustable incline take it down to 30 degrees ( most fixed benches are around 45) and start your day with incline DB presses. Go deep, fully contract the muscle at the top ( don't lock out) and go slow on concentric part of your rep. Then, do incline flyes afterwards squeezing your pecs at the top.. When you do flat first, your body is probably recruiting your front delts to compensate for your pecs being pre-exhausted. Just something to try.

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
On the pec deck puff your chest out, lift your chin back, and (here's the key) use a supinated grip.

Your welcome & cheers

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here's a simple band exercise that can help if you're shoulder or tricep dominant. I use it occasionally before barbell work and notice better chest contractions on the sets that follow.

[video=youtube;ENcjNnwci4Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENcjNnwci4Q&feature=share&list=PL2F8A4BD406176C34[/video]

CStank89

CStank89

Awards
Thanks^ yea my triceps also dominate. Thanks for the advice guys I'll have to try this stuff out next chest day.. (tomorrow)

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Chests are built differently. I'd say there's way more variance in chest builds than say, how our biceps or triceps builds compare. That being said, if you have to find what works for you.

I used to do a lot of barbell pressing, but found that although it helps me build upper body strength that's useful, it doesn't really get my chest responding. A big reason is that the way I'm built, my shoulders do too much work. I went on a routine of doing supersets of incline DB flyes with incline DB presses, along with dips and DB pullovers, and my chest started to respond.

Look into something called neck presses. I used to do these and I got visible response in my upper chest area, believe it or not (I know the scoop on the exercise science, ect..). But don't use a lot of weight. At the most I was using 135lbs. Use it to stress the upper chest area, but don't use it has a heavy mass building exercise.

That picture in my avatar, which is years old, is before my chest really started responding. I was making some progress at this point, but not like I have now. Also, I weigh less but look way better. Niiiiiice...

CStank89

CStank89

Awards
Your avatar looks a lot like me honestly.. But I'm 6' 195 roughly 6-7%.. My arms/shoulders/back/legs are all about where I want them for the time being (looking to compete in mens physique), but my upper chest just isn't popping the way I would like.. I'm very lean and even have striations all over my chest and have a huge amount of strength, just lacks a bit size, always have.. Its my "hard gaining" spot that we all have..

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
Chests are built differently. I'd say there's way more variance in chest builds than say, how our biceps or triceps builds compare. That being said, if you have to find what works for you.

I used to do a lot of barbell pressing, but found that although it helps me build upper body strength that's useful, it doesn't really get my chest responding. A big reason is that the way I'm built, my shoulders do too much work. I went on a routine of doing supersets of incline DB flyes with incline DB presses, along with dips and DB pullovers, and my chest started to respond.

Look into something called neck presses. I used to do these and I got visible response in my upper chest area, believe it or not (I know the scoop on the exercise science, ect..). But don't use a lot of weight. At the most I was using 135lbs. Use it to stress the upper chest area, but don't use it has a heavy mass building exercise.

That picture in my avatar, which is years old, is before my chest really started responding. I was making some progress at this point, but not like I have now. Also, I weigh less but look way better. Niiiiiice...
To be honest that's a fallacy- there are multiple studies where EMT studies show what grip activates the most of a muscle. They have done this for all muscles for the most part ( Ie: horizontal plane pulling activated lats predominately with a neutral grip, and for vertical an supinate grip is best).

For pecs, a supinated grip activates the most if the chest. This doesn't change person to person, and therefore some exercises really are better. I recommended a supinated fly because it takes the bicep out if the motion along with many muscles in the forearm and triceps. It also gives a much better stretch and doesn't allow other muscles to get involved. That's isolation.

Without regards to including other muscles trip supinated incline DB flyes

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My first questions are always posture and shoulder blade placement during any sort of chest movements. In short, make sure you have your shoulder blades pulled back, and if you cannot maintain this position, or if you have forward shoulders then its time to strengthen the middle/lower traps and rhomboids.

Second, the use of bands placed horizontally can increase the tension on the clav. head of the pecs during incline and flat presses. And also improve the vector of the bar during free presses.

[video=youtube;qZwprziFFHY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZwprziFFHY[/video]

Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS

mik14

mik14

Awards
My first questions are always posture and shoulder blade placement during any sort of chest movements. In short, make sure you have your shoulder blades pulled back, and if you cannot maintain this position, or if you have forward shoulders then its time to strengthen the middle/lower traps and rhomboids.

Second, the use of bands placed horizontally can increase the tension on the clav. head of the pecs during incline and flat presses. And also improve the vector of the bar during free presses.

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZwprziFFHY

Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS
^^^
Agree with this alot, zir red said it perfectly, the shoulder blades back definately helps the chest do majority of the work! You can also feel the difference....shoulder blades back, chest out.

CStank89

CStank89

Awards
I actually incorporated a little of all what was said, and felt like THEE best chest workout I've had!! Maybe my "hard gaining" area wont be as difficult anymore!! Thanks guys

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
I actually incorporated a little of all what was said, and felt like THEE best chest workout I've had!! Maybe my "hard gaining" area wont be as difficult anymore!! Thanks guys
... Well what did you do mate?! Don't just say you had a revelation in your chest workout and bit share haha

CStank89

CStank89

Awards
My shoulder blades being back wasn't really the problem, but I did try a few moments with a grip adjustment, also did the horizontal band resistance on the incline bench movement.. But the supinated grip on a few movements REALLY hit it.