Training calves

  1. Training calves


    So evidently it appears I am not genetically gifted when it comes to calve growth. I have researched the topic and haven't yet found a routine that works for me. Can someone please give me an insight into how they have faced this challenge??


  2. well im gifted in calves but high rep movements work well for me. jumping rope made a difference for me as well

  3. Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    well im gifted in calves but high rep movements work well for me. jumping rope made a difference for me as well
    In addition try sprinting with and without a prowler sled. Great for calves
    •   
       


  4. Quote Originally Posted by arthurfonz View Post
    So evidently it appears I am not genetically gifted when it comes to calve growth. I have researched the topic and haven't yet found a routine that works for me. Can someone please give me an insight into how they have faced this challenge??
    Do seated AND standing calf raises. One positions works the Soleus,the other works the Gastrocnemius. Do both exercises with moderate weight, lots of reps, and multiple sets. You will get growth. You have to really tire them out since they are used to being walked on all day.Hope this helps. Goodluck.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    well im gifted in calves but high rep movements work well for me. jumping rope made a difference for me as well
    Jumping rope helped me as well. It also helps with definition.

  6. I've had issues with calf growth in the past when I used to try to exercise them to make them grow. What I found most effective was making sure I got a full stretch during the motion as well as positioning my feet in such a way that I used mostly the thick muscle in the calf to move. Also, back in the day running hills also helped my calves grow, but I haven't done any degree of running for more than 10 minutes since '10.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  7. Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar

    I'm going to add in don't lock yourself to high reps only. Calves are mixed muscle fibers, so you'll get more growth if you do both some heavy weight low rep work as well as lighter weight high rep work.
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

  8. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    I'm going to add in don't lock yourself to high reps only. Calves are mixed muscle fibers, so you'll get more growth if you do both some heavy weight low rep work as well as lighter weight high rep work.
    Agreed! I like to go heavy with low reps sometimes. Extra strength is always good!
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. How often to train calves?
    By AnthonyIOSOS in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-08-2009, 08:56 AM
  2. training front calves
    By tirtle88 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-07-2009, 10:23 AM
  3. whats your favorite muscle to train?
    By hamper19 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-11-2005, 11:11 PM
  4. Westside training?
    By spoofy in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-13-2002, 07:00 PM
  5. My Diet/training Journal
    By Blindfaith in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-29-2002, 12:09 AM
Log in
Log in