Training calves

arthurfonz

arthurfonz

Awards
So evidently it appears I am not genetically gifted when it comes to calve growth. I have researched the topic and haven't yet found a routine that works for me. Can someone please give me an insight into how they have faced this challenge??

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
well im gifted in calves but high rep movements work well for me. jumping rope made a difference for me as well

ITW

ITW

Awards
well im gifted in calves but high rep movements work well for me. jumping rope made a difference for me as well
In addition try sprinting with and without a prowler sled. Great for calves

lpfleiderer

lpfleiderer

Awards
So evidently it appears I am not genetically gifted when it comes to calve growth. I have researched the topic and haven't yet found a routine that works for me. Can someone please give me an insight into how they have faced this challenge??
Do seated AND standing calf raises. One positions works the Soleus,the other works the Gastrocnemius. Do both exercises with moderate weight, lots of reps, and multiple sets. You will get growth. You have to really tire them out since they are used to being walked on all day.Hope this helps. Goodluck.

lpfleiderer

lpfleiderer

Awards
Jumping rope helped me as well. It also helps with definition.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've had issues with calf growth in the past when I used to try to exercise them to make them grow. What I found most effective was making sure I got a full stretch during the motion as well as positioning my feet in such a way that I used mostly the thick muscle in the calf to move. Also, back in the day running hills also helped my calves grow, but I haven't done any degree of running for more than 10 minutes since '10.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm going to add in don't lock yourself to high reps only. Calves are mixed muscle fibers, so you'll get more growth if you do both some heavy weight low rep work as well as lighter weight high rep work.

lpfleiderer

lpfleiderer

Awards
I'm going to add in don't lock yourself to high reps only. Calves are mixed muscle fibers, so you'll get more growth if you do both some heavy weight low rep work as well as lighter weight high rep work.
Agreed! I like to go heavy with low reps sometimes. Extra strength is always good!