Something that's been on my mind since day one.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    What Sean, Rodja, Onion said. Don't overthink this stuff, you'll get paralysis by analysis and stump gains.

Remember that supplement companies ie: shakes, want to sell you stuff first and foremost. That is why they are in business. Making it seem like supplements are the most important thing to lifting gains. They are an adjunct only. It is really simple... lift and eat good natural foods first. So replace that "from day one thought" you had, with adding #10-#30 to your squat this month. ;-) Rinse & repeat

Yeah i know what you're saying. Ive got everything going good at the moment.

Was just curious about other people's takes on this particular window of time.
    Currently using... ALRI - Humapro, Bioflex - Hydroflex HWPI, Bioflex - Jointz, Bioflex - Biogreens, Athletic Xtreme - Hard FX, Infinite Labs - Juggernaut HP, Finaflex - Max Pump, BPS - Vanillean, ALRI - Lipotherm, Swisse - Fish Oils.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Heavyappetite View Post
    So i have a question... what do you do once you finish training?

I'm curious to see everyone's approach to the bottom options!
    I couldn't answer this because I'm a top ;-)
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by mikeg313 View Post

I couldn't answer this because I'm a top ;-)
    We know you want to say it...
    Currently using... ALRI - Humapro, Bioflex - Hydroflex HWPI, Bioflex - Jointz, Bioflex - Biogreens, Athletic Xtreme - Hard FX, Infinite Labs - Juggernaut HP, Finaflex - Max Pump, BPS - Vanillean, ALRI - Lipotherm, Swisse - Fish Oils.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Heavyappetite View Post

Was just curious about other people's takes on this particular window of time.
    Gotcha...
    And I do have a shake or some food, usually anywhere from 15 mins to 1 hour after a W/O.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post

I disagree.

Insulin infusion decreases protein degradation post workout (aids in restoring protein balance which can be done without protein intake but only post workout) . Intravenous amino acid has a stimulatory effect on muscle protein synthesis independant of the insulin effect. BCAAs post workout also increase the muscles sensitivity to the protein stimulatory effects of insulin (hence why a combination of a CHO and BCAA conatining beverage or meal is appropriate). In addition, there also appears to be a potentialtion of amino acid transport into the muscle after an acute bout of exercise ----> Hyperaminoacidemia (following amino acid intake post workout) has been shown to further enhance amino acid transport and muscle proteim synthesis post workout.

CHO have an interactive effect with aminos that enhance protein synthesis and decreasing protein degradation..

This is without even delving into the effects of mTOR activation and the inhibition of epsilon subunit of eukaryotic initiation factor 2B that begins the translation process
    Before I go on to disagree, I would like to point out I am not your enemy, nor am I here to argue

But all of that you just said contained no reference to time.. Aka the anabolic window. In fact, it's been shown in studies that 7g of leucine stimulates protein synthesis moreso than post. Regarding carbohydrates and branch chain amino acids, the synergistic effect you mentioned applies at any time of the day without reference to a workout.

Finally, you might want to consider the negligible difference ad hearing to such specificity has to offer... No study shows that meal timing, or the anabolic window if you want to call it that, caused any substantive difference in gains.

To quote Marc lobliner, "there is no most important meal."

So. Post workout I usually come home, sit, zone out... Maybe look at myself in the mirror, self 'mire, and then pass out. When I get hungry, I eat. And I make gains just as fast, if not moreso, than when I had adhered to all of those specifications you mentioned within 45 minutes of working out.

Sometimes looking for the answer is more fun than finding it.
    My current UNsponsored PES EP cutting log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/234161-adonisbelts-pes-erase.html
    •   

6. Nutrient Timing

J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2008 Oct 3;5(1):17.
    International society of sports nutrition position stand: nutrient timing.
    Kerksick C, Stout J, Campbell B, Wilborn C, Kreider R, Kalman D, Ziegenfuss T, Lopez H, Landis J, Ivy J, Antonio J.

ABSTRACT: Position Statement: The position of the Society regarding nutrient timing and the intake of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats in reference to healthy, exercising individuals is summarized by the following eight points: 1.) Maximal endogenous glycogen stores are best promoted by following a high-glycemic, high-carbohydrate (CHO) diet (600 - 1000 grams CHO or ~ 8 - 10 g CHO/kg/d), and ingestion of free amino acids and protein (PRO) alone or in combination with CHO before resistance exercise can maximally stimulate protein synthesis. 2.) During exercise, CHO should be consumed at a rate of 30 - 60 grams of CHO/hour in a 6 - 8 % CHO solution (8 - 16 fluid ounces) every 10 - 15 minutes. Adding PRO to create a CHO:PRO ratio of 3 - 4:1 may increase endurance performance and maximally promotes glycogen re-synthesis during acute and subsequent bouts of endurance exercise. 3.) Ingesting CHO alone or in combination with PRO during resistance exercise increases muscle glycogen, offsets muscle damage, and facilitates greater training adaptations after either acute or prolonged periods of supplementation with resistance training. 4.) Post-exercise (within 30 minutes) consumption of CHO at high dosages (8 - 10 g CHO/kg/day) have been shown to stimulate muscle glycogen re-synthesis, while adding PRO (0.2 g - 0.5 g PRO/kg/day) to CHO at a ratio of 3 - 4:1 (CHO: PRO) may further enhance glycogen re-synthesis. 5.) Post-exercise ingestion (immediately to 3 h post) of amino acids, primarily essential amino acids, has been shown to stimulate robust increases in muscle protein synthesis, while the addition of CHO may stimulate even greater levels of protein synthesis. Additionally, pre-exercise consumption of a CHO + PRO supplement may result in peak levels of protein synthesis. 6.) During consistent, prolonged resistance training, post-exercise consumption of varying doses of CHO + PRO supplements in varying dosages have been shown to stimulate improvements in strength and body composition when compared to control or placebo conditions. 7.) The addition of creatine (Cr) (0.1 g Cr/kg/day) to a CHO + PRO supplement may facilitate even greater adaptations to resistance training. 8.) Nutrient timing incorporates the use of methodical planning and eating of whole foods, nutrients extracted from food, and other sources. The timing of the energy intake and the ratio of certain ingested macronutrients are likely the attributes which allow for enhanced recovery and tissue repair following high-volume exercise, augmented muscle protein synthesis, and improved mood states when compared with unplanned or traditional strategies of nutrient intake.

PMID: 18834505

http://www.jissn.com/content/5/1/17

7. Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post

I disagree.

Insulin infusion decreases protein degradation post workout (aids in restoring protein balance which can be done without protein intake but only post workout) . Intravenous amino acid has a stimulatory effect on muscle protein synthesis independant of the insulin effect. BCAAs post workout also increase the muscles sensitivity to the protein stimulatory effects of insulin (hence why a combination of a CHO and BCAA conatining beverage or meal is appropriate). In addition, there also appears to be a potentialtion of amino acid transport into the muscle after an acute bout of exercise ----> Hyperaminoacidemia (following amino acid intake post workout) has been shown to further enhance amino acid transport and muscle proteim synthesis post workout.

CHO have an interactive effect with aminos that enhance protein synthesis and decreasing protein degradation..

This is without even delving into the effects of mTOR activation and the inhibition of epsilon subunit of eukaryotic initiation factor 2B that begins the translation process
    Thank you sir, I am so tired of ppl saying you don't need cho post..

Personally OP, I prefer about 50g carbs from oj, two scoops vanilla protein (over5g leu here) some creatine, and glu.
    I drink this within ten minutes after training, then around an hour or so after that I eat a whole food meal, preferably some red meat- saturated fats are anabolic- and whatever carb I can find.

8. Quote Originally Posted by aceroni View Post

Thank you sir, I am so tired of ppl saying you don't need cho post..

Personally OP, I prefer about 50g carbs from oj, two scoops vanilla protein (over5g leu here) some creatine, and glu.
    I drink this within ten minutes after training, then around an hour or so after that I eat a whole food meal, preferably some red meat- saturated fats are anabolic- and whatever carb I can find.
    Thanks for that response. This is all i was asking in my OP... Everyone's ritual or view PWO.

Thanks again!

9. Quote Originally Posted by Heavyappetite View Post

Thanks for that response. This is all i was asking in my OP... Everyone's ritual or view PWO.

Thanks again!
    Not a problem buddy. Also, if I know it's going to be a long session I like to drink bcaas either before or during

10. Quote Originally Posted by aceroni View Post

Not a problem buddy. Also, if I know it's going to be a long session I like to drink bcaas either before or during
    Yeah intra workout BCAA'S have been a staple for me since day one. However as of late I've been keeping my sessions nice and heavy for 45min to an hour.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Heavyappetite View Post

Yeah intra workout BCAA'S have been a staple for me since day one. However as of late I've been keeping my sessions nice and heavy for 45min to an hour.
    There's nothing wrong with that.

Just make sure you're not slacking on your prehab /rehab /warmups, especially if you're training heavy.

Oh and kinda related to this and your original post, if you're only in the gym 1hr and are doing cardio after you could just do your shake after cardio..
    You'll be fine

Drinking carbs before post workout cardio kind of defeats the purpose.
    I personally like to do my cardio first thing after waking, drink some bcaas and Glu, then do cardio, then home, big breakfast, and weights after that.

12. Everyone has their own protocol, i'm just showing that there is method to my madness. I'm allowed to be pedantic over this stuff because my job revolves around it

13. Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Everyone has their own protocol, i'm just showing that there is method to my madness. I'm allowed to be pedantic over this stuff because my job revolves around it
    I love it bro. This is the **** i enjoy reading. Don't stop... Fill me in on anything you got!!!

14. Quote Originally Posted by aceroni View Post

There's nothing wrong with that.

Just make sure you're not slacking on your prehab /rehab /warmups, especially if you're training heavy.

Oh and kinda related to this and your original post, if you're only in the gym 1hr and are doing cardio after you could just do your shake after cardio..
    You'll be fine

Drinking carbs before post workout cardio kind of defeats the purpose.
    I personally like to do my cardio first thing after waking, drink some bcaas and Glu, then do cardio, then home, big breakfast, and weights after that.
    I usually do 5 warmup sets with my first exercise to get it going so i think im sweet.
    To be honest i haven't done proper cardio in three weeks lol.

I've got a treadmill downstairs but i never use it. I used to do cardio on waking but now i start 7 30 and im up at 5 30 so no chance now.

Im in, smash it, shake and then out! Seen great gains in strength and size in the last 6 weeks because its the first time ive adopted the heavier lifts. I've gone from dumbbell pressing 35kg db's for 12 to 45kg for 6.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Heavyappetite View Post

I usually do 5 warmup sets with my first exercise to get it going so i think im sweet.
    To be honest i haven't done proper cardio in three weeks lol.

I've got a treadmill downstairs but i never use it. I used to do cardio on waking but now i start 7 30 and im up at 5 30 so no chance now.

Im in, smash it, shake and then out! Seen great gains in strength and size in the last 6 weeks because its the first time ive adopted the heavier lifts. I've gone from dumbbell pressing 35kg db's for 12 to 45kg for 6.
    I'll try to get back on later to post links but look up shoulder circuit mobility and lower body mobility. You will be glad you did

16. Quote Originally Posted by aceroni View Post

I'll try to get back on later to post links but look up shoulder circuit mobility and lower body mobility. You will be glad you did
    Ok ill see what i can find. Cheers.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 263
    Last Post: 03-22-2012, 06:56 PM
  2. over training on my new 3 day?
    By iballmike24 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-07-2010, 01:31 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2009, 11:49 PM
  4. ? i been on my cycle for 4 weeks now
    By bigrich954rr in forum Anabolics