Need a Strength Program

Hasan.D

Awards
In need of a solid bodyweight strength program. I do MMA and Parkour so I always need better bodyweight strength.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
are you looking for a bodyweight only workout? why not use weights?

Hasan.D

Awards
I did Starting Strength, was successful and made gains, but being on a pure weights program made me lose way to much flexibility and weight gain. Cant move up a weight class in MMA, and bulkier = cant throw yourself around as easy in parkour.

So i was looking for a pure bodyweight program.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
so you dont want to get stronger? and did you know that your muscles dont know what they are pushing against. only that you are requiring them to produce force. in other words whether it be weights, stones, sand, babies, watermelons, or your own body the muscles just produce force. they dont know any better.

if you want to get stronger but not gain weight than dont eat to get big and dont lift to get big. you can lift to get stronger without gaining much if any mass. could you afford to shed any body fat?

for bodyweight stuff you could go to the ross training website, bodyweightculture.com, or beastskills.com. after a few years of doing kickboxing i found the athletes that lifted heavy weights were stronger than those that did none or did only bodyweight stuff. who knows, maybe getting stronger and moving up a weight class you would be better.....

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Minimize the stimuli that will lead to hypertrophy. Perform lower volume, higher intensity work. Focus on dynamic effort and minimizing time under tension and the metabolic demands of the training session. Look into reactive training as well (check out my youtube channel youtube.com/zirred ).

Use smart weight training to build strength and power, and use "outside of the gym" work to transition the gains into skills applicable to your sport.

Jason Cholewa, Ph.D, CSCS

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
for bodyweight stuff you could go to the ross training website, bodyweightculture.com, or beastskills.com.
I know Ross' stuff/site is pretty great stuff so another vote for above ^

IrishSoldier

IrishSoldier

Awards
Go on TNation and check out The Texas Method. If that won't get you strong, idk what will.

Hasan.D

Awards
The reason I'm not asking for a weights program, is because im always in and out of the country, and its not quite practical to travel with a olympic barbell + weights.

Hasan.D

Awards
And also, anyone who suggests moving up a weight class just so I can be stronger, obviously has,never fought in MMA. You don't just go up a weight class for the heck of it. I am a relatively short guy (5' 10"), so if I jumped a class, I'd be against much taller, bigger built opponents.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
And also, anyone who suggests moving up a weight class just so I can be stronger, obviously has,never fought in MMA. You don't just go up a weight class for the heck of it. I am a relatively short guy (5' 10"), so if I jumped a class, I'd be against much taller, bigger built opponents.
That would be me. And yes, I only did kickboxing as mma was just getting started with the ufc getting started the same year I started fighting. I did train and got stronger when I fought. Ended up going up 2 weight classes from my first to my last fight. And each fight I was stronger as I put on muscle and not just fat. You can do that will mma, you just have to know how to train for that mass.

And you are right, you a dont go up just for the heck of it. Thank god I never suggested that.

And 5 10 is above average for a male so you are not short. I dont know how much you weigh but you can pack on usable mass unless you already weigh like 250. Sure it would take time. Years probably as mass just doesnt come out of no where. I am wondering who your trainer is and how bad your physique and training is if you can move up a weight class so easily by lifting weights. After over a decade of training athletes my experience has shown me that if someone can jump up that easily they are not near to there size potential and can afford the mass.

But there is a lot we dont know about your training or physique. So its hard to say. Its like asking us whether a blonde or brunette are hoter but not showing us a picture of either.

It is my opinion that your question has been answered to the best we can given the limited information. So you are welcome. Hope it helps.2

IrishSoldier

IrishSoldier

Awards
Hmmm, Texas Method might be too risky then if you fight MMA. German Volume Training would better fit your desired lifts then, no doubt. Look it up on BB or TNation, Tnation's version is modified due to the program being boring. However, if you need to push yourself to the next level physically and mentally, I'd do GvT. Check it out man.

FUBARMD

Awards
  • Established
Hmmm, Texas Method might be too risky then if you fight MMA. German Volume Training would better fit your desired lifts then, no doubt. Look it up on BB or TNation, Tnation's version is modified due to the program being boring. However, if you need to push yourself to the next level physically and mentally, I'd do GvT. Check it out man.
GVT looks intense.

IrishSoldier

IrishSoldier

Awards
GVT looks intense.
It is intense. It's like a mixture of endurance and strength training. The programs say use 60% of your 1RM, it has killed me everytime. Makes you realize how much volume you can really move. I think it's a good fit for an mma fighter.