Crossfit versus Wendle

theish11

theish11

Awards
So what's the difference between crossfit and Wendle 5/3/1 powerlifting strength plan?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Everything?

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Everything?
HAHA that was EXACTLY what I thought to myself when I read this. With that said crossfit is a pretty broad term. Really depends on the programming. Pretty much most of the time I would go with Wendler's 5/3/1 over crossfit.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Yeah that's a rather odd comparison. Wendler is used for strength and power in specific lifts, whereas CF is an overall athleticism and fitness program.
What are your goals?

theish11

theish11

Awards
Yea well my goals is to be fit but strong too, so i do a lot of running an pull-ups push-ups but I have bad knees and those one legged squats are for *******s.

theish11

theish11

Awards
My goal is to be Better than everyone at everything

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Then crossfit is not for you. (On that note, nothing is.)

Crossfit is for the lifter that wants to be average or slightly above average at many aspects of fitness (while excelling in injury)

Its about specificity, pick a few aspects if fitness that are most important and train for the development of those skills.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Well alrighty then....not a bad goal. I do a decent amount of CF, it helps a lot with muscular endurance and athleticism. At my particular gym, we also use the Wendler method for those of us looking more strength and size route. I would say if you have a decent cardio routine, then just stick to Wendler or other strength programs, and just keep up your cardio.
If you are lacking a decent cardio routine, the definitely give CF a try. If you find a good gym, and do research on good form, it can have great benefits.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
This isn't physically possible. Everything is in a continuum and excellence at one thing often comes at the expense of something else.
Ha, this. And if your not sure what the differences between the 5/3/1 powerlifting template and CrossFit, then you have a long way to go :D

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would suggest starting with 5/3/1 for a few cycles and then transition into WS4SB

Your will gain strength and athleticism which seem to be your overall goal

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
this makes you perfect for crossfit. pretty pathetic mentality in my opinion, especially for someone that "cant squat due to bad knees." crossfit will fit you perfect. a lot of them are competition based so youd have plenty of oppurtunity to show off your amazingness and get hurt doing so

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
I'm gonna give the OP the benefit of the doubt here and hope that he was joking about the "better than everyone" comment.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
HAHA

Then crossfit is not for you. (On that note, nothing is.)

Crossfit is for the lifter that wants to be average or slightly above average at many aspects of fitness (while excelling in injury)

Its about specificity, pick a few aspects if fitness that are most important and train for the development of those skills.
Ya crossfit(only) will make sure you are not the best at anything EXCEPT crossfit.

This isn't physically possible. Everything is in a continuum and excellence at one thing often comes at the expense of something else.
Exactly

this makes you perfect for crossfit. pretty pathetic mentality in my opinion, especially for someone that "cant squat due to bad knees." crossfit will fit you perfect. a lot of them are competition based so youd have plenty of oppurtunity to show off your amazingness and get hurt doing so
He really does sound perfect for crossfit. Already has the "ELITE" mindset. That if you want to be a true badass start with Wendlers 531 and find a prowler.

theish11

theish11

Awards
Ha ha yea I thought that would make a couple people laugh at least. "Here at globo gym we're better than you, and we know it!" And onion whatever the poop your name is. Learn to read English. I can't one legged squat or choose not too. It's horrible for your knees. I squat regularly.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I can't one legged squat or choose not too. It's horrible for your knees. I squat regularly.
I would not one leg squat, just because they sound off balance, not fun and I would not be able to use as much weight. A lunge or something like that might even be better!?
That said, I had a small stretch where my rt knee just was not allowing me to squat much if at all. I did quite a bit of trap bar deads (not going as deep as a squat of course) and slowly worked them up to standing on blocks to deepen the squatting and lengthen the ROM. After a bit I was able to get back to squatting and for heavy higher reps to boot.
I understand many peoples draw backs and afflictions, but finding a way to train around those and eventually strengthen a weaker area, to me, can be eye opening.

As far as your goals, a simple 5x5 or W/O's from say John McCallum's KTP, is pretty much a great foundation for anything you want from your body.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bulgarian split squats are not bad for your knees, and will humble most lifters in a hurry.

Moose45

Moose45

Awards
Crossfit=Bad form+injuries!! We have a few guys/gals at our gym that do it. It makes me cringe to even watch them perform their workouts.

On that note:
a guy dislocated his elbow at our gym last week. From my observation, he was trying to perform a snatch with little to no experience on the proper mechanics of the exercise. I think a lot of these people come from some sort of athletic back ground and figure "how hard can it be?? These meatheads can do it" Lmao!!! Well that's what can happen CF's!!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ha ha yea I thought that would make a couple people laugh at least. "Here at globo gym we're better than you, and we know it!" And onion whatever the poop your name is. Learn to read English. I can't one legged squat or choose not too. It's horrible for your knees. I squat regularly.
A one-legged squat is not terrible for your knees. Unilateral work actually is best to strengthen the knee.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No prob broseph, apples and hand grenades...

I sent you the excel file didn't I?
I don't think so but cant be 100% sure. Got the ebook though. I like being my body to a bloody pulp BB style not crossfit style haha.

napalm

napalm

Awards
I don't think so but cant be 100% sure. Got the ebook though. I like being my body to a bloody pulp BB style not crossfit style haha.
Pm me your email addy again, I'll send it on over. I like having my training planned out for a year...

theish11

theish11

Awards
Well it's like oranges and apples bro:

1. They both have skin
2. They both have seeds
3. They are both round
4. They are both sweet
5. They both grow on trees
6. They both make juice

Sometimes things have more in common than you think, especially when you don't know which is why I asked. I saw the crossfit reebok games and notices that lifting was part of it. Although I'm not impressed with most, I want to get stronger and faster. If I get bigger from getting stronger, fine as long as it doesn't make me slow.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Yeah, but apple juice gives me the s.hits, that's prolly why I stay far away from CF...

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well it's like oranges and apples bro:

1. They both have skin
2. They both have seeds
3. They are both round
4. They are both sweet
5. They both grow on trees
6. They both make juice

Sometimes things have more in common than you think, especially when you don't know which is why I asked. I saw the crossfit reebok games and notices that lifting was part of it. Although I'm not impressed with most, I want to get stronger and faster. If I get bigger from getting stronger, fine as long as it doesn't make me slow.
The crossfit games aren't like the workouts. Plus most of the "athletes" you saw focus on strength. Then when it comes time to do the cf open and games they start incorporating wod. That is why if you go to a decent amount of cf places you wont see anything special. It really depends on the programming. Now if you said crossfit football I could kind of understand comparing the 2, but to me crossfit doesn't equal crossfit football.

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
The crossfit games aren't like the workouts. Plus most of the "athletes" you saw focus on strength. Then when it comes time to do the cf open and games they start incorporating wod. That is why if you go to a decent amount of cf places you wont see anything special. It really depends on the programming. Now if you said crossfit football I could kind of understand comparing the 2, but to me crossfit doesn't equal crossfit football.
^^ This. I workout at a CrossFit gym, and my main focus is strength during the year. HBBS, front squats, deads, clean and jerk, snatch, bench, and strict press are worked on with 5/3/1 for the majority of the year (we also use Westside for a few months), and then add in more WODS as we prepare for the games/competitions. For those who compete in CrossFit, you don't WOD every day - you can't make strength gains by doing that. So, OP, it really depends on what your goals are. If you want to get stronger, you can't be doing METcons every day and not lift heavy. Every "box" is different. Some coaches are better than others, and some programming is better than others. And when you go into a regular gym and see people doing crossfit workouts, they're doing that out of their own stupidity. They've looked up something on the internet and have decided to try it without educating themselves. There's a difference between those who devote a lot of time to this and those who just want to try to be a badass at their local gym. For those who take it seriously, it's treated like a sport in the sense that there's year-round programming and a lot of thought put into making strength gains in the "off season."

Jcweinsx

Awards
Bulgarian split squats are not bad for your knees, and will humble most lifters in a hurry.
^ second this. BGS are tough. A good way to really work the legs without loading your spine as much. I do em with DBs, but can be done with BB or goblet hold single DB. Doesn't take the place of the squat but a great accessory lift

theish11

theish11

Awards
Epolis thank u

Would u mind explaining the acronyms?

I want to win the crossfit games how do I do this?

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
Epolis thank u

Sure. HBBS = high bar back squat. This is in comparison to LBBS (low bar back squat) and refers to the position of the bar on your back. In HBBS, it's up high, as the name would suggest, typically stacked on top of your traps. LBBS is down further between your shoulder blades. Most ppl perform HBBS - it's far less awkward (LBBS can push you down/forward due to the bar positioning) and translates more into Olympic lifts (cleans, snatches, etc). WOD = workout of the day. It typically varies in length: some are short and sweet and others are focused on endurance. I've done WODs that have taken me as few as 3 minutes, and I've done one that takes 55-60 minutes. However, as I mentioned, programming varies greatly at every CrossFit gym, so your WODs will be different everywhere. CrossFit does have some standard WODs that they call "benchmark" WODs that are used to establish a baseline when you first start and then can be re-measured to assess progress.

To win the CrossFit games - it's gonna take years and years of devotion to the oly lifts, the CrossFit skills (double-unders, handstand pushups, etc) and to getting your conditioning where it needs to be. I just started CrossFitting this year and am competing in the open and I feel like I have NO BUSINESS there, haha. I'm actually doing well because I'm strong, but my skill work and my conditioning are just not the same as the elite folks. To give you an idea of some of the #s that the best of the best are putting up: the guy who won the CF Games last year can snatch 300#. That's crazy talk.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
To win the CrossFit games - it's gonna take years and years of devotion to the oly lifts, the CrossFit skills (double-unders, handstand pushups, etc) and to getting your conditioning where it needs to be. I just started CrossFitting this year and am competing in the open and I feel like I have NO BUSINESS there, haha. I'm actually doing well because I'm strong, but my skill work and my conditioning are just not the same as the elite folks. To give you an idea of some of the #s that the best of the best are putting up: the guy who won the CF Games last year can snatch 300#. That's crazy talk.
As Beth said it isn't going to happen over night. I would suggest getting a strength base. It is going to be the quickest way to progress. Maybe do some skill training but nothing too crazy. Prioritize your goals first. Being strong should be your number one goal. That is what the top crossfitters are working on first now. Hated crossfit from the start but I will say they are adaptive. It used to be just randomness of whatever could beat their bodies up. Now you see more work on strength. They did a great job of getting some of the top/well known powerlifting coaches to come in and coach. It shows they realized what they were doing wasn't quite going to work. Cant imagine what the games would have looked like years ago. That said still cant like it because it is still HQ and I have read enough to think they are scum. But that shouldn't keep you from a box. Just try one out and see if you can find a decent one. I went to one and they were happy to let me try it out for a week free.

theish11

theish11

Awards
Thanks to everyone. That's kind if what I thought was to start by building strength. To me physique doesn't really excite me or make me feel like an athlete. If I changed my diet and ate boiled chicken and broccoli for 3 weeks my abs would probably pop out, my body fat would be under 10% an then of course I could go tan and throw on a pair of board shorts and flex on stage. That just doesn't really connect with me though. I know nothing about cf but some of the games on tv look like something I would like to try. Didn't mean to sound arrogant that was just boredom and goofiness. So here's the ultimate question.

Can I get stronger and faster at the same time? Not necessarily add more lean mass just be stronger. I'm 185 and probably around 13% of course I would want to bench more dead lift more squat more and shoulder press more and also run faster swim faster do more pull-ups and push ups etc. how do u do this?

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
Thanks to everyone. That's kind if what I thought was to start by building strength. To me physique doesn't really excite me or make me feel like an athlete. If I changed my diet and ate boiled chicken and broccoli for 3 weeks my abs would probably pop out, my body fat would be under 10% an then of course I could go tan and throw on a pair of board shorts and flex on stage. That just doesn't really connect with me though. I know nothing about cf but some of the games on tv look like something I would like to try. Didn't mean to sound arrogant that was just boredom and goofiness. So here's the ultimate question.

Can I get stronger and faster at the same time? Not necessarily add more lean mass just be stronger. I'm 185 and probably around 13% of course I would want to bench more dead lift more squat more and shoulder press more and also run faster swim faster do more pull-ups and push ups etc. how do u do this?
Strength is all about programming. I love 5/3/1, personally. You may not necessarily get BIGGER, size-wise, unless you're eating in a surplus, but you can still gain strength. When I started, I was cleaning 85#.......now I'm cleaning 155# - my weight has stayed roughly the same the entire time. I don't calculate anything - no macros, no cals, no nada. I just eat and make sure I get protein at every single meal. If you're smart about your programming, the answer is yes. You'd be surprised at how lifting heavy on deads and squats will actually help you with your speed. Additionally, I like to do stuff with the prowler to help with my explosive speed. In the off season when I'm working on strength, I do 3 METcons a week: tabata wall balls, prowler pushes/pulls, and a 10 minute triplet (3 of crossfit's moves grouped together and performed at max effort/intensity/wt for 10 mins). That's really it. I stay in shape all year and also get strong as s**t. Just don't eat like a turd and be really smart about your strength programming and you can achieve all of that.

If I were you, I'd research the different CF gyms in your area and visit ALL of them. Find the ones with the best coaches, particularly the best strength coaches. See if any have any oly certs, ask about programming, etc. I typically work with a coach 1:1 in the off season and then work with the rest of the crossfit community when I'm trying to get better conditioned.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Subbed for entertainment
How many CrossFitters does it take to change a light bulb?

Three! One to do it, one to time it and one to brag to everyone "see crossfit is functional bro!"

I know I know not funny, but I tried

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
most crossfit people ACT LIKE they are better than everyone at everything (unfortunately for them though they are just delusional) but as others have stated they can be DECENT at most things kind of jack of all trades master of none.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
most crossfit people ACT LIKE they are better than everyone at everything (unfortunately for them though they are just delusional) but as others have stated they can be DECENT at most things kind of jack of all trades master of none.
And just how can you go about claiming you know the thoughts of "most" people? Lemme guess, you met one or two guys with bad attitudes and decided everyone who does it thinks they are arrogant! You sir, are a jack@ss

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
And just how can you go about claiming you know the thoughts of "most" people? Lemme guess, you met one or two guys with bad attitudes and decided everyone who does it thinks they are arrogant! You sir, are a jack@ss
never said i knew their thoughts, said they act like. also have met quite a few of crossfitters and they have had that elitest attitude. not to mention the winner of the crossfit games is called the "fittest man on the planet" gtfo with that

Moose45

Moose45

Awards
We have some at our gym and they do carry an arrogant air about them! I just sit back and laugh at them to be honest. To sacrifice form/technique for speed is ridiculous! Always waiting to hear something tear or break!! All the kicking they do to complete chins or dips is hilarious to watch......IMO. Lol

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Epolis thank u

Find a really good coach. Not you avg. run of the mill CF coach. Do not follow the main site. Most of the folks you see compete in the games deviate from the traditional mantra of CF. And as of the latter years strength has played a more dominating factor in the games.

Ben Bergeron has this to say...

"CrossFit is training for the unknown and unknowable, but for top athletes, knowing the date of game day changes the game, Ben Bergeron says.“We’re no longer training for the unknown and unknowable. We’re no longer training for ‘a constant, ready state,’” the co-owner and head coach ofCrossFit New England says of athletes competing at Regionals and the CrossFit Games.
He adds: “We know when game day is. It’s the middle of July.”
Likewise, Bergeron breaks up the year so his athletes peak at the Games:

• August: rest and recovery.
  • September and October: strength.
  • November and December: speed strength.
  • January: solely dedicated to weaknesses.
  • February and March: met-cons.
  • April and May: Regional prep.
  • June and July: Games prep.
In the case of Regional competition, where the workouts are known weeks before game day, it’s “irresponsible” not to train the movements if the goal is to go the Games, Bergeron says.
“Those six weeks, we are no longer CrossFitters,” he explains. “We are deadlift-box jump specialists, we are thruster specialists, we are Amanda specialists. … We specialize those workouts. We excel at them. We know the workouts inside, outside cold, frontwards and backwards. We know exactly the stimulus. … We are peaked at those movements.”

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
Find a really good coach. Not you avg. run of the mill CF coach. Do not follow the main site. Most of the folks you see compete in the games deviate from the traditional mantra of CF. And as of the latter years strength has played a more dominating factor in the games.Ben Bergeron has this to say..."CrossFit is training for the unknown and unknowable, but for top athletes, knowing the date of game day changes the game, Ben Bergeron says.“We’re no longer training for the unknown and unknowable. We’re no longer training for ‘a constant, ready state,’” the co-owner and head coach of CFNE says of athletes competing at Regionals and the CrossFit Games.He adds: “We know when game day is. It’s the middle of July.”Likewise, Bergeron breaks up the year so his athletes peak at the Games:
  • August: rest and recovery.
  • September and October: strength.
  • November and December: speed strength.
  • January: solely dedicated to weaknesses.
  • February and March: met-cons.
  • April and May: Regional prep.
  • June and July: Games prep.
In the case of Regional competition, where the workouts are known weeks before game day, it’s “irresponsible” not to train the movements if the goal is to go the Games, Bergeron says.“Those six weeks, we are no longer CrossFitters,” he explains. “We are deadlift-box jump specialists, we are thruster specialists, we are Amanda specialists. … We specialize those workouts. We excel at them. We know the workouts inside, outside cold, frontwards and backwards. We know exactly the stimulus. … We are peaked at those movements.”
Awesome post, and spot on. Yes, those of us who compete treat it more like a sport and train as such. We have a year-long plan and stick to it. Agree on the coaching front, as well. Good stuff.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
never said i knew their thoughts, said they act like. also have met quite a few of crossfitters and they have had that elitest attitude. not to mention the winner of the crossfit games is called the "fittest man on the planet" gtfo with that
If you have ever seen any of the older youtube videos you know this. Or just listen to anything glassman says. He has made some outrageous claims that are just plain comical. Now I know some people are going to say that crossfitters have deviated themselves from glassman and HQ but the fact remains everything crossfit related goes through them. Plus you know some dbags heard glassman's claims and ate them up. This would be an awesome place to start a new paragraph... With all that said crossfitters are crazy haha. They bust their asses with their workouts. Work themselves to the bone. Train to the point of exhaustion. Personally not my style but you have to give them props for hard work even if I think it is counter productive at times.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
If you have ever seen any of the older youtube videos you know this. Or just listen to anything glassman says. He has made some outrageous claims that are just plain comical. Now I know some people are going to say that crossfitters have deviated themselves from glassman and HQ but the fact remains everything crossfit related goes through them. Plus you know some dbags heard glassman's claims and ate them up.
Glassman is a tool! And not everything CF goes through him and HQ, unfortunately, just what you see on TV. And anyone with a brain knows you take what you see on TV with a grain of salt.. each gym tailors toward the goals of the trainers at that gym and the people who go there.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
To give you an idea of some of the #s that the best of the best are putting up: the guy who won the CF Games last year can snatch 300#. That's crazy talk.
Rich Froning besides having great genetics basically works out for a living. He is part owner of a crossfit gym and is a strength & conditioning coach for Tenn. Tech Univ.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Glassman is a tool! And not everything CF goes through him and HQ, unfortunately, just what you see on TV. And anyone with a brain knows you take what you see on TV with a grain of salt.. each gym tailors toward the goals of the trainers at that gym and the people who go there.
I did add to my post. EVERY crossfit affiliate has gone through HQ or they cant call themselves a crossfit gym. HQ can revoke an affiliate if they feel the need. And of course each box is different that goes with any gym.
Rich Froning besides having great genetics basically works out for a living. He is part owner of a crossfit gym and is a strength & conditioning coach for Tenn. Tech Univ.
Ya having goal of Rich Froning are not realistic. As said he has the genetics and his job is working out. Plus wouldn't be surprised if he was a former athlete like MOST of the crossfit competitors are.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Now I know some people are going to say that crossfitters have deviated themselves from glassman and HQ but the fact remains everything crossfit related goes through them.

This is not true. In fact, this has actually been one of the larger points of issues taken with CF. The fact that CF HQ does not regulate/license the gyms and instructors out there. Consistency is lacking. This is how you come across horrible coaches and gyms and really good ones. There is no well defined regulatory system.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I did add to my post. EVERY crossfit affiliate has gone through HQ or they cant call themselves a crossfit gym. HQ can revoke an affiliate if they feel the need. And of course each box is different that goes with any gym.

Ya having goal of Rich Froning are not realistic. As said he has the genetics and his job is working out. Plus wouldn't be surprised if he was a former athlete like MOST of the crossfit competitors are.
Pretty sure he was an athlete in high school and college. I don't remember what though.