Evalute My Fullbody Workout Routine? THANKS!

MrBumboclart

Awards
Lifting - Tue Thur Sat
Cardio - Mon Wed Fri
Rest - Sun

4sets x 08reps Squats
8sets x 10reps Dips
8sets x 10reps Pull Ups
4sets x 08reps Deadlift
3sets x 30reps Crunches

Dips -- 4sets in a wider stance, I've been lead to believe this engages more shoulder/chest action? Wide stance with arms slightly outward?
Then 4sets regular in a narrower stance for tris.

Pull Ups -- 6sets regular overhand grip for lats, 2sets narrow underhand grip for bis

Regular squats + deads

MY GOALS: Increase general fitness, increases in strength and mass (not highest priority) and burning calories to maintain current fat levels

Your thoughs? Thanks!!

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
why try an reinvent the wheel? why not just got a on a proven program that you know does not have any programming problems?

i say you should do 5/3/1, the north of vag template.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Mind you these are only my opinions...

Originally Posted by MrBumboclart

4sets x 08reps Squats
8sets x 10reps Dips
8sets x 10reps Pull Ups
4sets x 08reps Deadlift
3sets x 30reps Crunches
Is there a specific reason you landed on 8 sets for dips and chins?
Are you limited with free weights gym stuff etc.?

Dips -- 4sets in a wider stance, I've been lead to believe this engages more shoulder/chest action? Wide stance with arms slightly outward?
Um, I think it might be the deeper you go, but I could be wrong, as I do not do dips on a reg basis anymore.
Some guys are dippers and some guys do better with BP's or inclines IMO. Dips can be harder on the shoulder joint for some too.
Why no standing OHP's? This is one of the better moves for all round shoulder/upper back strength and balance.

Pull Ups -- 6sets regular overhand grip for lats, 2sets narrow underhand grip for bis
Nothing wrong with pullups/chins, but I also think rowing is as good or better for just plain mass building and thick back development and has one breathing heavy & hard when done in a bent row style. Also, it seems that a few guys reach a quick point in pullups/chins where they do not add weight to the so called bar/with BW and or they kinda stagnate quicker. I mean I know that was the case for me and a few articles I have read over the years. Rowing seems tobe a good way also, to add weight and strength IMO.
Why no reg curls? Most people men and women, love doing that exercise for a few sets anyway. It is kinda a feel good exercise for many. HA HA.

Regular squats + deads
Doing these 2 exercises (especially on the same day) with medium intensity multi sets & reps (ie: 8-10) can certainly help build work capacity and general fitness along with your cardio and outside activities. These 2 exercises alone can move the absolute largest muscle mass and the body's structures. (80% maybe) Bending exercises work your entire body/systems fairly hard.

Above all have fun. If you are not having fun, the intensity wanes and so does the W/O's.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think you'll grow very bored and stagnant quite quickly doing the same exact workout three days a week. And, that's a lot of volume to recover from.

Why not simplify and diversify

Choose:
1 major lower body movement
1 ancillary lower body movement
1 major pull movement
1 major push movement
1-2 ancillary upper body movements
1-2 core movements

You can come up with 3 workouts and run them for 2-4 cycles (weeks). You can even periodize the volume over these 3-4 weeks, working from extensive (3-4 sets of 10-12 reps) to intensive ( 4-5 sets of 2-3 reps). Then, re-evaluate, set up a new workout, and repeat.

Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think you'll grow very bored and stagnant quite quickly doing the same exact workout three days a week. And, that's a lot of volume to recover from.

Why not simplify and diversify

Choose:
1 major lower body movement
1 ancillary lower body movement
1 major pull movement
1 major push movement
1-2 ancillary upper body movements
1-2 core movements

You can come up with 3 workouts and run them for 2-4 cycles (weeks). You can even periodize the volume over these 3-4 weeks, working from extensive (3-4 sets of 10-12 reps) to intensive ( 4-5 sets of 2-3 reps). Then, re-evaluate, set up a new workout, and repeat.

Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS
That is some pretty good stuff right there ^^^