acid build up feeling only in left shoulder?

nemix

Awards
Everytime I do an overhead press, dumbell or barbell, I always get a feeling in my left shoulder like it's fatigued or has an acid build up. Not quite sure what's causing it. I have inflammation of the distal clavicle but this feeling isn't that high up. It's more towards the front of the shoulder. Any suggestions or thoughts?

oz_phys

oz_phys

Awards
Osteolysis of the distal clavicle can refer pain to the front of the shoulder, but with overhead pressing, that feeling described could also indicate some form of impingement. Likely supraspinatus (a rotator cuff muscle-tendon), subacromial bursa, or long head of biceps, often due to a bio mechanical imbalance. There's heaps around on those topics so have a read and see if anything fits your symptoms. Plenty of more knowledgable members here too will hopefully chime in - I know Sir_Zed has some shoulder health articles which are great...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's not a buildup of acid; that's an impingement (most likely the bicep tendon).

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
Osteolysis of the distal clavicle can refer pain to the front of the shoulder, but with overhead pressing, that feeling described could also indicate some form of impingement. Likely supraspinatus (a rotator cuff muscle-tendon), subacromial bursa, or long head of biceps, often due to a bio mechanical imbalance. There's heaps around on those topics so have a read and see if anything fits your symptoms. Plenty of more knowledgable members here too will hopefully chime in - I know Sir_Zed has some shoulder health articles which are great...
That's not a buildup of acid; that's an impingement (most likely the bicep tendon).
I think oz is in training to become a phd, rodjas usually pretty smart too but, Op should go see a dr. X-ray mri etc. don't **** around with a possible injury to your shoulder. They only get more painful. Bro diagnosing over the Internet gets dicey at best and there's only one real way to know there's an issue. I had drs for 4 years tell me I had an impingement. Guess who has a few shreds of labrum left. Yup. This guy here. Hell I went to a good ortho, he even said hey you're probably fine but I'm going to take pictures anyways. Turns out replacement is a better option than arthroscopic surgery to sand it down.

KimChee

KimChee

Awards
Sounds to me like impingement or bicep tendonitis..is it a deep throbbing ache? Bend your arm to 90 degrees as if you were in the middle of a biceps curl, rotate it in and out, if you feel up in about the middle of your side shoulder, there is a deep groove you will feel moving, that is your bicepital groove where the tendon attaches. Feel in this groove..is there where you are tender? Any pain that radiates down your arm? You might notice tenderness with internal rotation..oz is right, its sometimes difficult to determine ac joint impingement, biceps tendonitis, and supraspinatus problems.

I'd say biceps tendonitis, there is your internet dx lol....how if your range of motion in over the head activities? Any limitation in range or motion or pain? There are several PT tests for this, but typically biceps tendonitis presents with rotator cuff tears, and/or labral tears. It is a good idea to go see an ortho doc.

nemix

Awards
No limited range of motion, no pain besides what feels like the acid buildup. No throbing and no pain or tenderness to touch.

no pain with close grip bench or incline dumbell bench only with over head movements

I'll check with the doctors, see if I can bypass kaisers 3 minimum visits before they'll even of attempt to give me an MRI lol

Thanks everyone

nemix

Awards
Thought I'd bring this thread back from the dead to share my results. Finally got my MRI, the full one with the injection.

Nothing showed up for the front of my shoulder where I felt this. I only still have distal clavicle/ac joint inflammation. That seems to be the root of all this. It's odd that I feel it more in the front of my shoulder but that's apparently the problem. Ice and anti inflammatorys or surgery to remove a section if my clavicle. Going with the ice and NSAIDs for now