Banded assisted bench press question

opticpain

Awards
Ok, today I seen some guy doing these but not the way I've always seen them done. Usually I see them wrapped around the bottom and putting the tension pulling down. This was opposite, the band's were pulling up, is this actually doing anything for him? Just curious since I've never seen them done this way.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's called reverse band. It allows the lifter to overlod the weight more than they usually can do in order to work on the top end of the lift. It could be 200lbs at their chest but 300lbs at lockout. It gets harder on the ascent. Do the same with squats and deadlift.

napalm

napalm

Awards
reverse band presses. light at the bottom, heavy at the top

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What Sean said. It has a different feel as the tension comes out. Where band accommodating/loading has and almost restricted feel or even a tension feel, the bands deloading on the concentric, gives you the slow feel of unrestricted motion of the bar and weight. more like chains.
They are pretty noticeable on say reverse band deadlifts.

power205

power205

NLA Performance Athlete
Awards
Reverse band benching also gives you the feel of benching with a Bench press shirt on! The tension is off around the same area the shirt stops working . This allows you to train with having to gear up each time.. You can overload the top end of the press!!

JMarshall, NSCA-CPT,CSCS,FCS, DVRT
TEAM POWER & inTENsity

Fueled by NLA Performance and Geared by APT Pro Gear

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
I find reverse band does not beat you up near as bad as banded work. So I prwfer reverse band for singles and doubles. I will do banded work for triples and DE work.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Reverse band benching also gives you the feel of benching with a Bench press shirt on! The tension is off around the same area the shirt stops working . This allows you to train with having to gear up each time.. You can overload the top end of the press!!

TEAM POWER & inTENsity

Maybe a single ply shirt, but a RB bench feels nothing like a multiply shirt.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As somewhat alluded to, reverse banded movements differ from traditional banded movements in how they affect bar path. Normally, accommodating resistance with bands alters bar path to some degree. This might be good if you're trying to learn how to press in a straight line, for instance, but it can be a little bit stressful on some of your joints depending on how your groove is naturally. Traditional bands may also mask weak spots in a lift because of how they influence bar path. With reverse bands, bar path is not altered in the same way. However, it must be said that I don't say reverse bands are superior in every way. Again, traditional bands can be used as a teaching aid, and they do work for overloading the top as well, just in a different way.

power205

power205

NLA Performance Athlete
Awards
Maybe a single ply shirt, but a RB bench feels nothing like a multiply shirt.

Never tried Multi ply!!

TEAM POWER & inTENsity