5x5 volume help

Czervos

Czervos

Awards
Hey guys, I've been thinking about bulking up and getting stronger for football coming up. I play linebacker so size is necessary. I just cut from 210 to 185 and got down to 9-10% BF. I stick to bodybuilding type training and include powerlifts such as deads,bench, push press/jerk, and squats. I'm trying to get to at least 205, but with lean mass this time. I play outside backer so I need more speed than anything. I'm 5'10 190 right now after a week of bulking. The question I have is how much volume I should be getting in my 5x5 workout. I know I should use the 5x5 method on compound movements such as bench, squats, pull-ups, and military press, but what about the other isolation movements, and how would I train arms using this method?? And if my arms are my weak point, should I try training them twice a week? Here's what I do so far...

Chest/tris Mon:
Flat bench 5x5
Incline DB,or barbell 3x8-10
Heavy dips or barbell decline 3x8-10
Machine incline isolation 2x8-12 (focusing on squeezing)
Pec deck or DB mid flys 3x15-20
Cable pushdowns 2x12
Chair weighted dips 2x15
Overhead ext. 2x15

Shoulders Tues:
Barbell or DB military press 5x5
Machine front delt Iso. 3x8-12
Lateral raises 3x15-25
Ez curl or DB front raises 3x12
Rope pulls 3x12
Bent over rear delt DB 3x12

Weds Back/Bis
Weighted pull-ups 5x5
Deads 5x5
Bent over BB or DB rows 3x10
Mid rows 3x10
Lat isolation(lay pull down or single arm) 3x10
Incline DB curls 2x 15
Machine curl Iso. 2x15
Reverse curls 2x15

Thursday legs
Back squats 5x5
Front squat 5x5
Hack squat 3x10-12
Leg press 3x10
Leg ext. 2x 20
Leg curl 2x20
Calves various exercises

Friday rest

Saturday arms
Barbell curls 5x5
Single arm preacher curl 3x10
Incline curls 3x10
Hammer curls 3x10
Close grip bench 5x5
Skull crushers 3x10-12
Rope or bar pushdowns 3x10
Underhand ext 3x10

Sunday rest

Now, I work in forearms and calves 2-3 times a week also.. I only do contraction and squeezing type arm exercises on days I put it with larger muscles, as seen above. Then on arm days I do more compound type stuff and go heavy. Critique this plan and please suggests any changes I should make in order for a good mass/strength building routine... Any help is wanted! Thanks!

napalm

napalm

Awards
squat, deadlift, barbell rows, bench press, pull ups and OHP's. that's what will get you big and strong, along with some good programming. arm only days just plain suck...

toss all that other crap...

Moose45

Moose45

Awards
Strength

What you need...

Linebackers strength is constantly being tested no matter what technique you play we need to take on lead blockers and shed them immediately. This will take an extremely powerful lower body foundation, a stable core, and a powerful upper body. This will allow you to take on blocks shed then make the play.

What to do...

Squats and deadlifts need to be a staple in your training, make sure to increase the sets and decrease the reps. We want you pushing heavy weight and resting more in between to really tax your nervous system. Also add power cleans, snatches, jerks, and heavy overhead/bench presses, this will develop explosive hips and give you the strength to toss runningbacks around

Speed

What you need...

Speed can be tricky for linebackers because many do not know how to train this. The key movements in the game for a linebacker will be your lateral burst and your forward burst. Rarely will you be running the 100 yard dash so why would you focus your linebacker drills on that? Before worrying about your 40 time, you might want to make that play in the game. Linebackers are ever evolving but it has stayed consistent that they need to be just as shifty and explosive as runningbacks.

What to do...

Focus on training very short, high intense sprint movements. Some of my favorite drills are box drills where you are constantly cutting at full speed. Another great one is to have a friend give commands either forward/reverse and side to side with a point of his finger. This will allow you to read him and react, exactly what a linebackers job is. For that initial explosive burst train jumps. Set up a series of hurdles or stack boxes up and perform high box jumps, anything to train hip extension/flexion. Placing your focus on these 2 staples in your training can increase your game tremendously. It becomes a matter of, is your training design tailored into your particular needs in the game.

Czervos

Czervos

Awards
I enjoy working out, I can stay in the gym for 2 or 3 hours.. but I feel like I would lose my mind if I'm just doing the lifts you posted.. are you saying to cut out everything else? It seems as if you're suggesting a powerlifting approach...

napalm

napalm

Awards
I enjoy working out, I can stay in the gym for 2 or 3 hours.. but I feel like I would lose my mind if I'm just doing the lifts you posted.. are you saying to cut out everything else? It seems as if you're suggesting a powerlifting approach...
there's no need to be in the gym for 2-3 hours. if you are, you're talking too much...

Czervos

Czervos

Awards
Strength

What you need...

Linebackers strength is constantly being tested no matter what technique you play we need to take on lead blockers and shed them immediately. This will take an extremely powerful lower body foundation, a stable core, and a powerful upper body. This will allow you to take on blocks shed then make the play.

What to do...

Squats and deadlifts need to be a staple in your training, make sure to increase the sets and decrease the reps. We want you pushing heavy weight and resting more in between to really tax your nervous system. Also add power cleans, snatches, jerks, and heavy overhead/bench presses, this will develop explosive hips and give you the strength to toss runningbacks around

Speed

What you need...

Speed can be tricky for linebackers because many do not know how to train this. The key movements in the game for a linebacker will be your lateral burst and your forward burst. Rarely will you be running the 100 yard dash so why would you focus your linebacker drills on that? Before worrying about your 40 time, you might want to make that play in the game. Linebackers are ever evolving but it has stayed consistent that they need to be just as shifty and explosive as runningbacks.

What to do...

Focus on training very short, high intense sprint movements. Some of my favorite drills are box drills where you are constantly cutting at full speed. Another great one is to have a friend give commands either forward/reverse and side to side with a point of his finger. This will allow you to read him and react, exactly what a linebackers job is. For that initial explosive burst train jumps. Set up a series of hurdles or stack boxes up and perform high box jumps, anything to train hip extension/flexion. Placing your focus on these 2 staples in your training can increase your game tremendously. It becomes a matter of, is your training design tailored into your particular needs in the game.
I forgot to mention I do include powercleans/ over head press/split jerk... I do these lifts twice a week. And i also do agility training and straight line speed training including speed ladders.

Czervos

Czervos

Awards
Haha well its always worked for me.. Ive always been more into the bodybuilding type training but would always include some powerlifting movements.. Lets just say I want to get the best of both worlds in a sense.. So is there any way to include bodybuilding into an athletic training routine that focuses primarily on strength? Or will that totally ruin the point?

Moose45

Moose45

Awards
Your OP was to get into football shape for the linebacker position. I would look up and hunt down programs specifically design for that..... They are out there!

Save the bodybuilding physique for later.

TexasGuy

Awards
Yeah, if football is your goal train for it. Program your body specifically.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Flexibility & mobility in addition to what Napalm posted. Your key issue at OLB will be hip flexibility. If you have stiff hips, you'll be slow into coverage & changing directions.

Work the big lifts, core strength, short distance speed work (shuttles, boxes, anything that combines speed & direction change) and mobility.

Czervos

Czervos

Awards
Your OP was to get into football shape for the linebacker position. I would look up and hunt down programs specifically design for that..... They are out there!

Save the bodybuilding physique for later.
I saw you on another forum talking about the west side barbell programs think. How's that?

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
5/3/1 with some high volume assistance. Improve your strength and keep your bodybuilder side happy

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
This is broad and generalized but one of my favorite sayings ever when playing football was "muscles in the front for show, muscles in the back for go". Strong hamstrings, glutes and upper back will take you a long way in football, my friend. The ability to stack and shed comes from hip strength and stability and then the pulling power to take that blocker where you want him.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not applicable to football...
The conjugate method CAN be applicable to football (when properly adapted)

For football my recommendation is:

DeFrancos Westside for Skinny Bastards

Go to defrancostraining.com to read his articles on it.

napalm

napalm

Awards
The conjugate method CAN be applicable to football (when properly adapted)
I agree in theory, but IMO w novice trainees, by that I mean high school kids who have "worked out" for a couple yrs w/o much supervision, both the ME work AND their sport specific training would not be the best it could be.

My concern would be recovery...

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree in theory, but IMO w novice trainees, by that I mean high school kids who have "worked out" for a couple yrs w/o much supervision, both the ME work AND their sport specific training would not be the best it could be.

I agree, was merely clarifying. It's a pretty complex plan to keep track of and takes a lot more experience than a high school (or possibly even college) level athlete would have.

napalm

napalm

Awards
I agree, was merely clarifying. It's a pretty complex plan to keep track of and takes a lot more experience than a high school (or possibly even college) level athlete would have.
We are on the same page broseph...

Czervos

Czervos

Awards

I wouldn't exactly say I'm novice.. I've been training since I was 13, I eat 7-8 meals a day, haven't missed a week of working out since the 7th grade.. So I don't want a beginners plan. I just need a solid strength building program. I'm thinking Jim wendlers 5-3-1 program is the best bet as far as strength goes wouldn't you say? Or maybe phat? There's only one thing proven to work and that's to eat like crazy. I'm at 190 11% BF as of now. Ever since football has been over I cut from 205 to 185.. Basically to increase my lean muscle/fat ratio and build up my speed. Like I said, I play outside linebacker. I want to get to around 205-210 before August. And get my bench to at least 300, squat to 400+, and deadlift to around 500.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wouldn't exactly say I'm novice.. I've been training since I was 13, I eat 7-8 meals a day, haven't missed a week of working out since the 7th grade.. So I don't want a beginners plan. I just need a solid strength building program. I'm thinking Jim wendlers 5-3-1 program is the best bet as far as strength goes wouldn't you say? Or maybe phat? There's only one thing proven to work and that's to eat like crazy. I'm at 190 11% BF as of now. Ever since football has been over I cut from 205 to 185.. Basically to increase my lean muscle/fat ratio and build up my speed. Like I said, I play outside linebacker. I want to get to around 205-210 before August. And get my bench to at least 300, squat to 400+, and deadlift to around 500.
For athleticism I prefer the WS4SB template. But 5/3/1 would work as well.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
how about "5/3/1 for stupid army runs"

mine will be "5/3/1 for CG sand volleyball"
Lol I wont need the army one for that long.

Football could be better for the long term training :biglaugh: