Summer routine.... Thoughts?

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
Doing a 3 day per week full body. I did this before using the same exercises for each of the 3 days and ended up putting too much of the same stress on my joints so I wanted to keep all the groups getting hit 3x but variate the lifts and stress points. I'm a tall, lean guy who is eating just under maint with high protien and low- moderate carb intake. I really just want to preserve muscle and trim fat, obviously thats all in the kitchen but routine can still help for a guy like me who isn't going to never miss a day or maintain a perfect diet.

Monday
Chest- bench presses 3 x 10
Back - chins or pull downs 3x10
Shoulders - military presses 3x10
Biceps - barbell curls 3x10
Squats 3x10
Calves - Standing calf raises 3x10

Wednesday
Chest- incline bench presses or dips 3 x 10
Back - barbell or dumbbell rows 3x10
Shoulders - shoulder shrugs 3x10
Biceps - Zottman or hammer 3x10
Hams - leg curls 3x10
Abs - 1 set of 50 incline sit ups

Friday
Back - chins or pull downs 3x10
Shoulders - military presses 3x10
Biceps - incline dumbbell curls 3x10
Tricep- skulls 3x10
Quads- Front squats 3x10
Stiff legged dead lifts 3x10
Calves - Seated calf raises 3x10

1 min rest (But I was thinking about 45 sec rest) I read so many contradicting articles about rest time vs. muscle size. Some say less rest time is more muscle exhaustion so more size.... other say you wont lift as much weight so less size). Rest pauses make sense... so there is no in between??

15-20 min LISS after every lifting session (walking uphill @ 3.5-4 mph).

HIIT (uphill springs) one or two times a week on off days

Hoping this isn't too much for a lean guy like myself....

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Is that also the order in which you are doing the exercises?

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
Is that also the order in which you are doing the exercises?
Not necessarily, I will generally do biggest muscle groups first. So, squats first on that day and so on.

Any advice on shorter rest times would help. I'm guessing I should keep it at a minute and worry about fat burning with the LISS and HIIT.... ?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Personally, I do not put a ton of focus on time between sets, as that seems to take away from my prime directive, which is building mass and strength. I can almost intuit a certain amount of time and when I am ready and recovered for 80%-100% effort for the next set(s) I go. I can totally understand if that is not a primary goal of yours, or if fitness, cardio and or work capacity comes first.
To me, if one is doing other activities for fitness and cardio/conditioning, I might focus more on the work of building muscle and take enough time between sets in order to increase the intensity by means of weight progression. But that is just me.

Lord_Of_Iron

Lord_Of_Iron

Awards
Program: Go on bodybuilding.com and start Kris Gethin 12week harcore transformation.
Nutrition: Keto diet, high fats (good fats),high proteins, no carbohydrates.

Im sure u will get great transformation.

Moose45

Moose45

Awards
Personally, I do not put a ton of focus on time between sets, as that seems to take away from my prime directive, which is building mass and strength. I can almost intuit a certain amount of time and when I am ready and recovered for 80%-100% effort for the next set(s) I go. I can totally understand if that is not a primary goal of yours, or if fitness, cardio and or work capacity comes first.
To me, if one is doing other activities for fitness and cardio/conditioning, I might focus more on the work of building muscle and take enough time between sets in order to increase the intensity by means of weight progression. But that is just me.
Good info! He is it rt on this one. Especially on the question of rest between sets.

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
Program: Go on bodybuilding.com and start Kris Gethin 12week harcore transformation.
Nutrition: Keto diet, high fats (good fats),high proteins, no carbohydrates.

Im sure u will get great transformation.
Keto sounds like a rough time for marginally better results than low carb. I'll carb back load before doing keto.... anyone on that low of carbs is gonna shed weight. I'm so tall and lean, I feel like I would lose muscle too on top of weak workouts.

Thanks though

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
I'm 12% bf right now. I really want to cut with the least amount of gym time possible.

Honestly, after starting this routine it seems like I'm not going to have much motivation left to do LISS after every session. I pound these sessions out in about 35 min but I don't stop, its 1 min rest at the most, always. About 85% for the first 2 sets on each and 90-95% intensity on 3rd sets. I'm pretty worked after it with a low(er) carb diet.

I guess the popular answer will be less cals or make myself do LISS after sessions if I'm not losing the fat...

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'm 12% bf right now. I really want to cut with the least amount of gym time possible.
Then I think your easiest route is what you do at the table.
Out of gym stuff can help too, if you enjoy say, bike riding, basketball, or just some brisk walking etc etc., always taking stairs instead of escalators. I know you know the drill ;-)
Lose it slow, #1-#2 a week maybe, hold back the impatience as you will hang onto more lean mass and strength that way.

Lord_Of_Iron

Lord_Of_Iron

Awards
Keto sounds like a rough time for marginally better results than low carb. I'll carb back load before doing keto.... anyone on that low of carbs is gonna shed weight. I'm so tall and lean, I feel like I would lose muscle too on top of weak workouts.

Thanks though
Look bro, with Keto diet u cant lose muscles, u will save them. I'm kinda endomorph and i will try Keto when im on cutting, low carb/high good fat. However bro that is your choice and this is individual sport, do what u think that is good for YOU. Good Luck :)

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
Then I think your easiest route is what you do at the table.
Out of gym stuff can help too, if you enjoy say, bike riding, basketball, or just some brisk walking etc etc., always taking stairs instead of escalators. I know you know the drill ;-)
Lose it slow, #1-#2 a week maybe, hold back the impatience as you will hang onto more lean mass and strength that way.
Yea, my body wants to lose weight so bad right now. I have about 7-8 more leans lbs on me from last summer's cut in which I got down to about 9% @ 190lbs. I feel like I could lose 5 lbs in a week, no problem.... and I feel like half would be muscle haha. I started out 3 years back @ 6'6" 170lbs. I'm just genetically thin and so is every person in my family. Thats why I completely stopped running long distances and just run sprints these days. I'm shooting for a pound a week. 2 at the very most until I get below 11%

Look bro, with Keto diet u cant lose muscles, u will save them. I'm kinda endomorph and i will try Keto when im on cutting, low carb/high good fat. However bro that is your choice and this is individual sport, do what u think that is good for YOU. Good Luck :)
I've seen people have success with it but to get that low of carbs on the regular is a full time job, I've done carb cycling and those low carb days take lots of preparation and discipline. Not that I don't want to work hard but this is one of about 100 hobbies I have and Keto is just asking a lot of my diet. I'm going to just go traditional low carb and shoot for around 100-150g of carbs a day and 500 cals under maint.

I'm also going to toy around with some new beta agonist products and see if its really worth the $. At least it will push me a little harder, I know the effects are minimal without the hard work. I just got a tub of Alphamine so, with a clean diet and low carb on this routine combined with my naturally thin genetics I feel I should lean up nicely. Losing fat was never the problem for me, preserving muscle was. My body hates muscles haha.