What grip do you deadlift with?

Deathyetforce

Deathyetforce

Awards
Im currently using a double pronated grip conventional deadlift. My grip is weaker than a little girl's should i work on this weakness or do you guys just recommend going with the mixed?

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I used to use mixed and switch them back n forth between sets with the most comfortable rotation on the heaviest lift but after my last bike accident last fall I can't rotate my left wrist without pain yet so Im getting used to gripping with both overhand. I used to hate it but like it more now(kinda have to). My grip isn't as good as before so I have to use straps over 225lbs and can only stand that till about 360lbs. Been increasing forearm exercises to get my grip back and rehab both wrists and where my arm broke in half. Pick up a wrist roller (theyre cheap) and start off with a 10lb weight on it and work up over time. I find it helps me alot, a month ago I couldn't grip enough to do a chin up and now I'm gettin more reps in every week since I've been using it on my forearms/wrists.

Deathyetforce

Deathyetforce

Awards
Sorry to hear about the accident. Good to see it hasn't derailed your fitness endeavors. Ive never in my life done anything isolating my forearms. The roller luckily for me my gym has one so ill be using that and start doing assistance for forearms. I guess ill just go with the mixed then as im healthy and i can do it.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
I hook grip. Trainings hard, I tape my thumbs up beforehand or they get destroyed.

Deathyetforce

Deathyetforce

Awards
How in gods name do you go about being able to even think about the hook grip that just looks so painful.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, **** happens and you gotta roll with the punches. i just focus on coming out stronger then before and it motivates me and it works, i do.
Look into other forearm exercises too. You'll be suprised how much and how fast it increases your grip. I used to always ignore calves and forearms and not surprisingly looking back my wrist and ankles have sustained alot of injuries that maybe had those areas been stronger I wouldn't have had such a rough time. Now I make it a point to make my weak points my favorite to target throughout the week.

Never leave anything out, you may end up regretting it;-)

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im currently using a double pronated grip conventional deadlift. My grip is weaker than a little girl's should i work on this weakness or do you guys just recommend going with the mixed?
It is probably not as weak as you think. It may just be that most people will be able to pull more keeping the bar from rolling out of their hands, thus the mixed grip.
The hooked grip can be painful at first, but over time it seem your thumb gets numb to it.
Mixed is good, if you are not repping too high, but if you do 8's 10's++ pulling with one arm in, one out, kinda puts a torque on the torso in one direction. Another resort, is to use lifting straps and worry about building the grip at the end of the W/O's or on off days. It will recover much faster (since it is small muscles) than all the posterior chain muscles so that is certainly an option you can choose. My grip can recover in a day or 2 and be trained again.
I use every option available ie: mixed/switched, hook, straps, overhand. I was blessed with bigger hands, but that is not to say you cannot improve the grip greatly, by static holds, wrist rollers/curls, grippers and pinch work.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Hook grip feels better for me, I had some bicep tendon issues a while back so mixed grip hurts s bit.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
How in gods name do you go about being able to even think about the hook grip that just looks so painful.
It gets better over time. I still mix grip over 80% but hook grip does not hurt much anymore for me. It took about 2 months for that to happen.

And yes, taping helps to prevent skin tears.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I use an overhand grip for all sets 405lb and under. Once I go over 405, or if I'm doing around 4 plates for reps, I usually use a hook grip.To bring up your grip, I'd do a variety of things including using straps less as much as possible for your other workouts (rows, deadlifts), using a double overhand grip as much as possible and only use a mixed when necessary, and training your grip maybe once a week. Do it consistently and you should see your grip strength go up. Doing this, I haven't missed a deadlift attempt due to grip in over a year. Twice I've had a max attempt last around 6-8 solid seconds and my grip still didn't go.

bigintensions

bigintensions

Awards
I use hook grip as well. It hurt extremely bad at first but I don't even feel it anymore.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
Hooks untill 315, mixed until 405 then I add straps so I can stay overhand. the underhand grip really irritates my left elbow so I like to limit it even if it means losing some grip strength potential by using straps

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Over/under up to 495. Over/under+chalk 495+

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Double over w/ hook grip till 250/275 then over/under above that. I always chalk up a ton too

TheSaiyan

TheSaiyan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I tried hook grip today, works well until 4 plates and higher. I don't have long fingers so it's just hard to grab.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
over under with chalk at a snatch length , god i love SG deadlifts :D

KimChee

KimChee

Awards
I go with switch grip, pronated grip on left upper extremity, I tore the TFCC a while ago, and my wrist just can't handle anything past moderate. I also want to be able to walk when I'm 60, and if I kept up at the rate I was going it wasn't going to happen.

Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister

Awards
  • Established
Hook grip. Takes some getting used to, but has really helped my back. The over/under kept causing me to twist.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Over/under and then I hold the last rep of my last set.