How much muscle can one gain in a year?

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
I'm 33 years old and I've trained lightly on and off for several years. I boxed not long ago - and I liked to stay light - so I haven't done much heavy lifting.. I broke my foot in March and I'll never box again. So.. At my age, approximately how much muscle could I put on in a year, naturally? I'm guessing 10 pounds.. I've never had trouble gaining weight. I don't have the greatest genetics, but I can gain weight easily.

biggjohn

Banned
Awards
10 lbs is a good estimate naturally if you know what you are doing.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I'm 33 years old and I've trained lightly on and off for several years. I boxed not long ago - and I liked to stay light - so I haven't done much heavy lifting.. I broke my foot in March and I'll never box again. So.. At my age, approximately how much muscle could I put on in a year, naturally? I'm guessing 10 pounds.. I've never had trouble gaining weight. I don't have the greatest genetics, but I can gain weight easily.
10lbs is a good goal. For a "first year", some can do better depending on diet, routine, rest, etc. But for those of us who've been bbing for a while, 10lbs a year is great! i.e. @ the olympia, Dennis James was jabbering non-stop about his 8lbs gain in mass....ha, ha...

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Cool. Thank you. I had a feeling I was in the ballpark with 10lbs..

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Just FYI, 10 lbs of LBM is a lot!!!!

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
From results I have seen I FIRMLY believe Bobo could get you OVER 10lbs lean body mass in your first year.

You might want to send him a PM.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
one's first year of having an actual PROPER diet using proper training techniques and getting enough rest you can put on a surprising amount of LBM

when i was 18 i finally got all those things down and put on around 30 pounds in a year and MOST of it was LBM, but then again i was 18 and the test was coursing through my body like drunk sailors through the streets of barcelona

i definitely think 10 pounds is doable ... if you've already had a proper diet and training techniques for a while, 10 pounds becomes harder ... its the first time putting on muscle that easiest

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
there was a flex a while back that boasted 100lbm in a year,

they were talking about 3 pros, troy alves was one of them, i think he put on 30 somethin in one year.
I would say 20 plus for me is possible, with the right vitamins

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, the possibilities--for us younger guys especially--allow for greater than 10lbs of LBM. My first year I was up about 30lbs, mostly LBM, too. I'm up about 45 total and it's been less than two years--with a few bad months, too. But, again, I'm 21 :D and the test is flowin!!

As far as flex claiming 100lbs in a year....roflmao! FLEX is good for something......................comedic entertainment!

I also heard King Kamali boasting a 60lb natural gain over the course of a single summer!!!!!! rofl!

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
As far as flex claiming 100lbs in a year....roflmao! FLEX is good for something
Yeah, its good for two things, overtraining new lifters and toilet paper.

I'd say I've put on about thirty pounds in the past two years. I was 230 pounds at a little over 21-22% BF in Feb 2003, I was 230 pounds at about 11-12% BF OCT 2004. Thats not including my latest cycle (I'm up to 254 after 6 weeks probably up to about 13-14% BF tho).

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
one's first year of having an actual PROPER diet using proper training techniques and getting enough rest you can put on a surprising amount of LBM

when i was 18 i finally got all those things down and put on around 30 pounds in a year and MOST of it was LBM, but then again i was 18 and the test was coursing through my body like drunk sailors through the streets of barcelona

i definitely think 10 pounds is doable ... if you've already had a proper diet and training techniques for a while, 10 pounds becomes harder ... its the first time putting on muscle that easiest
I can attest to that too when I was 19. In 14 months I put on around 30 lbs and im a hardcore ecto.

twerp

Awards
As far as gains in a year...
Maybe it doesn't quite count because I was just recovering from Lyme's disease and mono at the beginning of this year, but I went from 142 to 165 this year. I never weighed more than 145ish before. I've always been extremely skinny. It's pretty much all lean. I finally got the diet thing down, got a good consistent workout plan, and ran one little 4 week cycle of 4-ad and 1-test. That cycle ended in October with me at 170. I dropped 5 pounds then afterwards, which I expected. I think if someone does what I did and adopts a really strict diet and workout plan, your initial gains can be huge.

Remember though, gaining weight too fast is dangerous.

timogburn

Awards
At 17, I put on 30 pounds LBM in a year, of course I was eating right and training with guys that were juicing.

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
LOL, you can't even do that on steroids
they were speaking of three pros,

And it all depends on how yo utrain,
I think if you train more specific, strength, or hypertrophy, your going to put up more muscle,
Anyone not doing big cmpnd movements ion a regular basis. are never going to see any monster gains.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
they were speaking of three pros,
Sorry, I didn't literally mean you Kelsey, I should have reworded my post better, it's just unimaginable to expect someone to build 100 lbs of lean mass in a year, maybe an extreme case or two where there is substantial fat mass.