Post hernia surgery workout plan

Wolverine10x

Wolverine10x

Awards
I'm wondering if anyone on here as any tips for someone who is about to start a gradual workout/mma training plan after getting double inguinal hernia repair. I plan on starting monday which will be 4 weeks post op. II have done some research about what to do and I know to start light and strengthen the area around where the hernias were. I am planning on starting doing lifts with a bar or very light weight and doing 4 sets of 15. I am going to start with cardio to get the heart pumping and oxygen flowing. Before my surgery I could pretty much do the splits but I am worried about stretching that far and kicking. Is there any knowledge anyone could drop on me about this?

Kilo G

Kilo G

Awards
I have 3 hernias 4 protrusions, all in my spine. 2 hernias size of 4.8-6.0mm one in the L5-S1 and one in L4-L5. One hernia in the C1 region of the neck and a couple of 2mm protrusions here and there.

At the peak of my disability I couldn't put socks on without help. Couldn't do **** basically. The doctor told not to lift anything heavier than my genitals. Even then he said have some one do it for you.

So the background of my condition is due to military service and sports, I was offered a surgery but the doc kept it real and told me that spinal hernias have a 50% chance of re appearing, and there is a chance of nerve damage from the surgery. Basically I wa talked out o getting cut up. I went to a specialized therapeutical hospital where there is no surgical methods at all. They literally are the only ones specialized in hernias. In 21 days I was back to normal. And I only payed 30000 rubles or $980. 21 days of a grade hospitalization with 3 time meals and great ecology.

Kilo G

Kilo G

Awards
Don't **** yourself up you look like your to young for surgery.

Kilo G

Kilo G

Awards
Oh **** you already had surgery. Hmm what kind of surgery?

Wolverine10x

Wolverine10x

Awards
I had double inguinal surgery. My hernias were not that bad but they were bothersome enough that I needed to get it taken care of. I am 4 weeks out and feeling fine but I know that I need to take my return slow.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't think he is talking about disc herniation. I believe inguinal/intestinal hernia repair.
Yes, I had a rt inguinal repair with mesh done over 15 years ago.
Here is what I have experienced and what I have learned...

First off I do not think you can necessarily "strengthen some of these areas" as they are not really muscular in nature. It is more the fascia and or connective thin tissue that supports and holds the intestines in. Mine herniated down thru the holes in the pelvis where the major leg arteries run thru, so I have no idea how you would do anything to strengthen the area.
Now that is not to say you cannot learn how to hold or support your self better, as I do when doing deads. I do not bear down but tense my entire abdomen like I would keep from taking a crap. (for lack of a better word) Also let me say the repair has not hurt my lifting whatsoever. I have been pulling heavy 600+ deadlift for a few years.
You really need to be cleared by the doc however, to start training. I think I waited maybe 6-7 weeks before any type of real weight. You certainly do not want them to have to go in and repair the same bulge/tear.

Fennel seed is supposed to help and don't ask me why, but I do use it at times and kinda swear by it.

There are really nothing to mess with if you feel you may have one, as it can be a very bad problem if they strangulate and cut blood off to a portion of the intestines.

Mine was done by incision too but most, are done now arthroscopically perhaps thru the belly with little cuts and less healing time.

Wolverine10x

Wolverine10x

Awards
Yeah I had two hernias one on each side. They were repaired larascopically. Larascopic hernia repairs heals much faster than open surgery so they say you need about 4 weeks recovery. I have been cleared by my doctor to lift. I am glad to hear that you are able to still deadlier heavy as I was very worried about that. I'm also a martial artist and am a little worried about kicking and flexibility but I don't really think that will be affected. Obviously I need to start very light and progress up to heavy weights again. However I'm wondering how fast or slow I should progress.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Obviously I need to start very light and progress up to heavy weights again. However I'm wondering how fast or slow I should progress.
Well, that I cannot really say since I am not your doc. Why not call and ask him what, if any limitations, to your training you should think about or be cautious with at first!?
I am not sure about the kicking, but I think hernias are more pressure or weight effected if you are bering down. I know when I was doing some running, the jolting on my left side showed a slight sign of perhaps a lft side repair, but it has never dropped or protruded or gives me any trouble, so I just watch it.
I think too, there are some underwear/ truss type supports. I have no idea if something like that might come in handy for your kicking until you are 100% !?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wait at least another 4 more weeks.

Just had my second hernia repair. First one was years ago for one umbilical with mesh. Went back too soon and have regretted it ever since.

Second was for three umbilical and one ventral all repaired with mesh.

I am 11 weeks out. I just completed my second week back with very very light work.

Still not 100% recovered nor do I expect to be. Repairs are very strong but the strain keeps the fascia sutures inflamed. I ice down after each workout.

KimChee

KimChee

Awards
You're talking about hernia in the inguinal region, the other is talking about disc hernation. This isn't my area of knowledge, but to me your need to sit down and have a good talk about what you should do and not do, when, and explain your situation with lifting and martial arts. I know you are eager to get back into it, but you need to take it easy, I've seen several patients who did not follow their precautions and have had 4 or 5 hernias even with the mesh.