Time for straps?

DAG2013

Awards
I have been struggling with this question for a couple weeks and now I think I need to make a decision. Looking for advice so TIA for any replies.

I am training with a 5/3/1 protocol and Ive made great gains and set some PR's in my first 1.5 cycles. My issue has been on deadlift days. I only started deadlifting in the late fall and I have made great gains, it's still no where near my strongest lift which is squats. This morning my last 5/3/1 set was 295 for 8 reps. I am pretty sure I could have gone 1-2 more but I have an early hockey game tonight and I know I would have been gassed if I pushed any further. All told between warm ups and work sets, I did 6 sets of deads.

My assistance exercises on deadlift days are pullups/lat pulls, dumbell kroc rows, and various curls depending on what I feel like doing. The problem for me is that once I finish my deadlifts, my forearms don't have a lot left for my assistance work and typically fail before my back does. I am thinking of trying straps for my assistance lifts or changing my arrangement of assistance lifts in my next cycle so that I dont do any other pulling exercises on deadlift day.

Thoughts?

napalm

napalm

Awards
This morning my last 5/3/1 set was 295 for 8 reps.
Are you saying your last set (do as many as you can) was 8 reps? What week was this, the 5x5, 3x3 or the 531 week?

As for straps, I'd say don't use them.

DAG2013

Awards
Are you saying your last set (do as many as you can) was 8 reps? What week was this, the 5x5, 3x3 or the 531 week?

As for straps, I'd say don't use them.
Im in 3x3 week.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
8 reps is a good number for your 3's week. As Napalm said, I'd avoid straps. If your grip is a weak point on your deadlifts, then raw gripping other exercises will strengthen it. I'll only use straps for snatch grip deadlifts 5+ reps and dumbell lunges or something if my grip is shot by the end of my workout. I don't have grip issues though. People will post their ideas on using straps, and there are two threads regarding it. Ultimately it's up to your needs/desires.

DAG2013

Awards
You may have started a tad light, but that's OK. Better to start light than heavy. If your doing Kroc rows as assistance, your grip will come around. Don't use the straps...
I had read in the book that it was better to err on the side of light than heavy. I did the same thing with squats too, my last sets are consistently around 12-15 reps.

Sounds like I just need to keep up and not use straps.

gymguy21

Awards
I had read in the book that it was better to err on the side of light than heavy. I did the same thing with squats too, my last sets are consistently around 12-15 reps.

Sounds like I just need to keep up and not use straps.
Yeah I agree with starting too light as well. It seems counterproductive at first because I was always used to working up to a near max weight every week. But the gradual gains over each training cycle are a good ego boost. I also had the dilemma with straps as well and only use them if I absolutely have to. But even then I still try to just chalk up more and squeeze the crap out of the bar.

gymguy21

Awards
I also have been pushing out around 8-10 reps on my + sets and I know its probably too weight but also starting back slow after some rehab. Don't want to rush back too soon.

DAG2013

Awards
I would use chalk but I am pretty sure that my gym would frown upon such practices.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
I would use chalk but I am pretty sure that my gym would frown upon such practices.
or a rosin bag. my gym doesnt allow chalk, but a couple of us have rosin bags in our gym bags and just clap it a few times inside the gym bag itself. all the trainers have seen me doing it, they dont care. probly cuz theres a heavy fukin barbell next to me for deads when i do it. lol

gymguy21

Awards
Yeah luckily they have a chalk bowl at my gym and I use it for sure. If they didn't I would bring my own and just try to be cool about it

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
All told between warm ups and work sets, I did 6 sets of deads.
Ha, I'll bet you have a hearty handshake in a few days after the grip recovers.
Are you using a mixed grip? Hand over/hand under!?
Anyway, I hear ya. I think when I first started DLing my grip always froze up first.It hangs in much better now.
I will pretty much guarantee your grip, is growing stronger right with your deads and lats.
With that said, I cannot see why you could not use a set of straps after the grip is burnt on rows or shrugs.
Agree with Rodja not the chins however.

DAG2013

Awards
I'll look into liquid chalk for sure. I bet that would help.

I dont mix my grip until I get up above about 275ish. After that I mix because I can keep my grip longer.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I dont mix my grip until I get up above about 275ish. After that I mix because I can keep my grip longer.
I certainly hear you on that.
Another thing you can try is hooking or the hook grip, (where you close the fingers around the thumb locking the thumb in the bar) but it takes a bit of a toll on the thumb doing reps, at least at first.
Once you get used to it it gets better.

Whatever you decide to do/use, you are no less for it.

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
I use straps for a lot of pushing exercises for wrist support as my wrists are about as wide as a quarter. Finally stopped using them on deadlifts about a year ago as I just felt like I was cheating lol I could easily pull 30-40 more pounds with straps and it didn't feel right.

You're doing the right thing with the Kroc Rows. Wendler goes on and on about them in the book and how much they improved his grip.

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Straps or wraps? Two different things, you won't get any support from straps...
Yea my bad, I have a pair that can be either or. So yes, it would be straps

Newbiewar

Awards
If you cant hold the weight, might as well not even lift it.

personally your 295 (depending on reps) is about the best I can do with a regular grip(anything past 5 reps my grip starts to open)... typically for my all out set I use mixed grip and I can jam down an extra 3-4 reps usually.

But if you wimp out now, when your arms are tired, how are they ever going to get stronger? just think of your deadlift as pre-fatigue work for your lat pull downs and rows. Forearms is one muscle group I never train, and I owe that to a regular grip deadlift, consequently the DL also is my sole source of trap work too. Also, my gym has 2 different barbells (while they are both the same weight) I choose the one that is thicker. I think one of them is 1 inch wide, and the other is 1.5 or so... makes a difference

Jcweinsx

Awards
If my grip fails ill strap. I try to get as much work in as possible before strapping. Don't worry your grip will be much stronger soon. Even 2 weeks from now it will be stronger. I had same grip issues (many guys do) when starting deads. Grip strength developed rapidly. Chalk is rad. Sneak it in if you have to and just cleanup after yourself

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Don't worry your grip will be much stronger soon. Even 2 weeks from now it will be stronger. I had same grip issues (many guys do) when starting deads. Grip strength developed rapidly.
This^^^
And it is pretty easily trainable 3 or so times per week really with static holds, grippers, wrist curl work etc.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would say liquid chalk. Planning on picking some up myself. Your grip will actually improve.

Look into getting some Fat Gripz. After using them consistently I was able to hold 625 at lock out for a legit 10 seconds.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Training Forum 10
Training Forum 7
AntM1564 Training Forum 12
General Chat 0
R1187 Training Forum 16