5x5

honkeykong

Awards
I think I am going to start the 5x5 workouts. I've done isolation workouts but never given the complex movement workouts a try. I would like to start off losing a little bit of weight then bulk up so I guess what I'm asking is, is this program gonna allow me to do both with just my calorie intake to worry about for my fat lose/muscle gain goals?

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Your diet will dictate a majority of your physical goals (bulk up/cut down) but 5x5 would be a perfect introduction into the compound lifts and make you feel strong as hell. I base most of my workouts off heavy compounds even after moving away from a traditional 5x5 layout. Keep the cals high and you'll love it

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
. I would like to start off losing a little bit of weight then bulk up so I guess what I'm asking is, is this program gonna allow me to do both with just my calorie intake to worry about for my fat lose/muscle gain goals?

I'm assuming the loss you want is BF and the bulk you wanna gain is lean tissue? Isn't that what we all want !? Ha ha
Actually, as you get more and more time in on the compound lifts and work the largest portions of the body's musculature, it will most likely have you replacing some of the fat mass for lean mass. No, one does not turn into the other, but your overall BW may stay the same as you lose the adipose tissue and gain the lean mass and change your body's appearance. (That is why I might not concentrate on the scale per se.)
I would focus on a said routine and then just eating clean (lose as much junk food as you can maybe just treats/pizza et al. on the weekends!?) and not put so much focus on how or when it will happen. Work on progressing the weight with great form on the big 5-7, BP's Squats, Deads, Rows, OHP's, some ab and arm work thrown in.
As you get a few cycles under your belt, you can adjust as need fit for power, looks, etc. goals but for now, I would just concentrate on the routine.

honkeykong

Awards
Thanks a lot guys for the help! Sounds like solid advice to me.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your diet will dictate a majority of your physical goals (bulk up/cut down) but 5x5 would be a perfect introduction into the compound lifts and make you feel strong as hell. I base most of my workouts off heavy compounds even after moving away from a traditional 5x5 layout. Keep the cals high and you'll love it
i do the same exact thing (except when Im on DC). If i am doing a traditional chest day, I will start with BB flat bench or BB incline and go no higher than 6 reps.