Old Dog New Tricks

Imskyhigh87

Banned
Awards
I'm making this thread for my step-dad, he's been away from weightlifting for a long time. Give or take ten years. He wants to get "back in shape"

His current stats:
Weight 205 215ish
Height 58 59ish
Bf 26 ish
Age 64

This was some of our convo:
What you would like to bring up the most (muscle group wise).?
:Abs followed by legs then upper body.
Are you more into gaining strength or muscle mass?
:More so strength and endurance than muscle mass.
Weightloss?
:Drop 15lbs

I obviously wouldnt havent him jump right into my routine. Im thinking of starting him out at three days a week.

A push pull legs split MWF to get the ball rolling, something like this:

Legs: squat, stationary bike, trx planks and crunches
Push: benchpress, standing shoulder press or assisted dips
Pull: deadlift, assisted pullups, trx

obviously If I feel he has bad form on any of the exercises we can switch it up

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not trying to deter or anything, but have you had any experiences training older people?
The only reason I ask is, squatting/deadlifting are good exercises, but not easy exercises to get great form on and especially if they have not done them much or ever. Also, as one ages, they can get harder to use and recover from. Knees, low back and shoulders especially need some special attention for some.
I am not saying at all he cannot do them, but I would get checked out by a doc or PT, get some mobility ideas as to what he can and can't do and start real slow. Using BW exercises at least on some of the big stuff, might be a start really.
I think it's great he wants to start a program, but you want him to get fit and in better shape from it, not hindered.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Kenpo here, I'm 52 and can understand a little more about a guy in his older age.

First, get his diet in check. He needs to track what he eats and the calories associated. His metabolism is low and fat will only come off with reduction in calories.

Second, a doc needs to ok him to lift. Knees and back are big problems for us old guys. Squats and deadlifts can be an issue.

Third, start with some aerobic activities to get his endurance up and the joints working again. Also supplement his joints with fish oil, glucosamine and something like iForce Joint Help.

Fourth, go slow. His ability to heal is severely decreased. An injury will set him back months.

I'd start a log on here and let us older guys critique it as he goes.

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Don't suspend him in the TRX for planks or anything really. Progress him from the simplest exercises before adding in anything with top down instability. Also as recommended earlier body weight exercises will be a good starting point to reestablish movement patterns, progress joint integrity, etc. An extremely important aspect of developing any program is initial assessments not just anthropometrics but movement patterns, imbalances, asymmetries, etc. If you don't have experience with programming or assessing my advice would be to seek out someone local who does and can help you.

Imskyhigh87

Banned
Awards
Not trying to deter or anything, but have you had any experiences training older people?
The only reason I ask is, squatting/deadlifting are good exercises, but not easy exercises to get great form on and especially if they have not done them much or ever. Also, as one ages, they can get harder to use and recover from. Knees, low back and shoulders especially need some special attention for some.
I am not saying at all he cannot do them, but I would get checked out by a doc or PT, get some mobility ideas as to what he can and can't do and start real slow. Using BW exercises at least on some of the big stuff, might be a start really.
I think it's great he wants to start a program, but you want him to get fit and in better shape from it, not hindered.
Yes. I will have him start out with the bar for bench and squat and trainer plates for deads.

Imskyhigh87

Banned
Awards
Kenpo here, I'm 52 and can understand a little more about a guy in his older age.

First, get his diet in check. He needs to track what he eats and the calories associated. His metabolism is low and fat will only come off with reduction in calories.

Second, a doc needs to ok him to lift. Knees and back are big problems for us old guys. Squats and deadlifts can be an issue.

Third, start with some aerobic activities to get his endurance up and the joints working again. Also supplement his joints with fish oil, glucosamine and something like iForce Joint Help.

Fourth, go slow. His ability to heal is severely decreased. An injury will set him back months.

I'd start a log on here and let us older guys critique it as he goes.
He has been ok'd by his doc. I like your idea of staying bodyweight for a while. This sunday im running him through a military style pt as a sort of assesment ( pushups jumping jacks mountain climbers jog) . I will have a better idea of what he can do with his bodyweight and will post updates periodically.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He has been ok'd by his doc. I like your idea of staying bodyweight for a while. This sunday im running him through a military style pt as a sort of assesment ( pushups jumping jacks mountain climbers jog) . I will have a better idea of what he can do with his bodyweight and will post updates periodically.
What happened to "slow"? Seriously, you will make him so sore with this "military style PT" that you may lose him. And what about diet? Is he learning to track proper macros?

Imskyhigh87

Banned
Awards
What happened to "slow"? Seriously, you will make him so sore with this "military style PT" that you may lose him. And what about diet? Is he learning to track proper macros?
Have a little faith. Im not gonna be screaming cadence in his ear. Lol. If he cant do it pain free or with good form I wouldnt have him do it, simple. Its just to get a baseline nothing more. After which, I will have a better idea of what we can improve on. Ill post his results sunday night and we can discuss the best route for him. As far as diet that will come within a few weeks. I guarantee 99% of people on this board did not have perfect diets before they started training.

Imskyhigh87

Banned
Awards
Ran through an assessment today

Things we did:

Walked a mile
Stretched hams quads hips
Worked on squat stance
Pushups
Lat pulldown
Band pull ups
Band rows
Band bicept curls

Results:
Pushups 10
Lat pulldown 20lbs 3 sets of 8
Band pullups 2 sets of 3
Band rows 2 sets of 12
Band bicept curls 2 sets of 12

Was thinking of setting him up MWF

Monday:
Lat pulldown 20lbs 3sets of 8
Band rows 2 sets of 12
Band bicept curls 2 sets of 12

Wednesday:
30 pushups as many sets as it takes to finish

Friday:
Air squats 3 sets amap

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wednesday:
30 pushups as many sets as it takes to finish
Nice job for a 64 year old! Thinking you should replace 205 lb body weight pushups with light weight bench press for now.

Imskyhigh87

Banned
Awards
Lat pulldown is up to 50lbs now for reps with good form

Discontinued band rows switched to db rows 25lbs 8-12 range

Still trying to get squat form down. Hes having a hard time with that. I had him doing wall sits. The bench we have is too high for bench squats. He stands with toes on a line. Im trying to make him more aware of his foot position and knee alignment. But out and chest up. Maybe flexibility?
Regaring his benchpress form, He used to bench 220 but tends to really bring it down low, like mid belly powerlifter low. For now I have him using a wider grip elbows in bringing it down an inch or 2 from nipps

We are starting to benchpress with the bar in a rack and he uses pins..when hes on his own

Routine now looks like as follows
Cardio 10min warmup every workout day
All are 3sets 8-12 rep range

Back and bis:
Lat pulldown 50lb
Db rows 25lb
Cable curls 20lb

Chest tris:
Benchpress w bar.
Tricept extensions 30lb

Legs:
Wall sits air squats and practicing form