advice on improving my back

  1. New Member
    blaykeryan's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  203 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    349
    Rep Power
    47107
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    19.87%

    advice on improving my back


    Lets see in 5"10, 207 pds, 14 % bf....I have a pretty decent sized back, but feel I'm lacking thickness...I alternate every week between heavy bb and db rows...cable rows, pull ups as much as twice a week...of course deads, and t bar rows....weight is pretty heavy as I'm trying to gain more size....here's a pic advice is welcome
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. Senior Member
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,816
    Rep Power
    115628
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    48.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Does not look bad from that angle.
    A few things. Back thickness can take time as it slowly grows over the years. Mine was always wide enough, but until I was doing steady heavy deads, rows etc., over the years, it grew thicker/deeper.
    Also, don't neglect power shrugs et al. as they can add to thickness and some upper & nice traps. It is not necessarily more or better exercises as much as it is consistency over time and heavy weight.
    Keeping the waist slim also gives an appearance of wider shoulders etc.
    It's getting there, just be patient ;-)
  3. Professional Member
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,273
    Rep Power
    438360
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    95.28%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Heavy shrugs

    Pendlay rows done explosively at a strict 90. By explosively I mean bar speed, and lots if it. Feel like you're pulling the bar through your body.

    Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    PROness's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    182
    Rep Power
    1917
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    68.74%

    Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    Heavy shrugs

    Pendlay rows done explosively at a strict 90. By explosively I mean bar speed, and lots if it. Feel like you're pulling the bar through your body.

    Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    Name:  tumblr_m539ixDI1m1qzr2njo1_500.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  56.4 KB

    Clean Pulls over shrugs
  5. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,745
    Rep Power
    1317333
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    29.96%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Snatch-grip deads
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  6. New Member
    pmdied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    294
    Rep Power
    12362
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    17.26%

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Snatch-grip deads
    ^^this.
  7. Advanced Member
    zcol94's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    533
    Rep Power
    124896
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    51.23%

    What part of your back do you want to improve?
    My log- http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/254235-zcols-log.html
  8. Advanced Member
    zcol94's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    533
    Rep Power
    124896
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    51.23%

    Upper thickness or in the middle.. Power shrugs did amazing things for my upper back... But my middle is lacking soni can't contribute much for that, except I've seen a quite a bit of growth since exchanging deads for rack pulls
    My log- http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/254235-zcols-log.html
  9. Elite Member
    breezy11's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,953
    Rep Power
    4820750
    Level
    90
    Lv. Percent
    8.8%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by zcol94 View Post
    Upper thickness or in the middle.. Power shrugs did amazing things for my upper back... But my middle is lacking soni can't contribute much for that, except I've seen a quite a bit of growth since exchanging deads for rack pulls
    Prone shrugs (against the rack) have been great for my lower traps/mid back.

    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  10. New Member
    blaykeryan's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  203 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    349
    Rep Power
    47107
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    19.87%

    Quote Originally Posted by zcol94
    Upper thickness or in the middle.. Power shrugs did amazing things for my upper back... But my middle is lacking soni can't contribute much for that, except I've seen a quite a bit of growth since exchanging deads for rack pulls
    More upper thickness. I know my back is developed just want more thickness...thanks for the advice guys, I'll incorporate some lifts you guys suggested and see what happens....like I said the past few months all I've been doing is heavy rows, deads, max right now is 390 ,I know it needs to go up ha, ex.bb row 235*5 , is anyone fans of rear shrugs( behind the back)
  11. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297851
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    77.75%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Snatch-grip deads
    ^ Exactly.

    Here's how:
    http://jasoncholewa.com/2013/03/05/s...grip-deadlift/
  12. Elite Member
    Young Gotti's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,454
    Rep Power
    1369329
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    28.53%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    meadow rows ftw!
  13. On my grind
    3clipseGT's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    10,008
    Rep Power
    1295509
    Level
    71
    Lv. Percent
    14.38%
    Achievements Posting VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Re: advice on improving my back


    Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post
    meadow rows ftw!

    While i do love meadows rows i dont believe they are an exercise that would illicit the effects he is wanting.
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns
  14. New Member
    PROness's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    182
    Rep Power
    1917
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    68.74%

    I'm surprised no one has said...

    Kroc rows with max weight for max reps.
  15. Senior Member
    AntM1564's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,253
    Rep Power
    2577443
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    59.48%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

    I would look into doing meadows rows. I feel these have helped my back thickness
    Performax Labs Product Specialist
    Like Us On Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/PmaxLabs
  16. Senior Member
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,816
    Rep Power
    115628
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    48.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Most any rowing/shrugging/pulling movement done heavy enough and over time, is going to do the job. The idea that exact exercises will or will not build the muscles in a certain way is kinda odd to me, since a muscle, when it develops, will build from all sides not just flat or in one specific direction. (If that were so, there would be a lot of odd looking people running around) So if you are not real thick chested or rib caged, your body will pretty much develop according to the balance of other parts. A heavy boned guy will be able to make a thicker back most likely.
    Another thing is, a few of those vids, look like the guys may be assisted, so unless you are using PEDS, getting to look like a cartoon character is probably a bit skewed.
    If you look at oly weight lifters like Rigert et al. you will see how just simple pulling exercises build the foundation of a thick massive back, depending on your structure. Trying to pick exacts IMO, is most likely overthinking it a bit.
  17. New Member
    SXIPro's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    475
    Rep Power
    92141
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    91.23%

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    Most any rowing/shrugging/pulling movement done heavy enough and over time, is going to do the job. The idea that exact exercises will or will not build the muscles in a certain way is kinda odd to me, since a muscle, when it develops, will build from all sides not just flat or in one specific direction. (If that were so, there would be a lot of odd looking people running around) So if you are not real thick chested or rib caged, your body will pretty much develop according to the balance of other parts. A heavy boned guy will be able to make a thicker back most likely.
    Another thing is, a few of those vids, look like the guys may be assisted, so unless you are using PEDS, getting to look like a cartoon character is probably a bit skewed.
    If you look at oly weight lifters like Rigert et al. you will see how just simple pulling exercises build the foundation of a thick massive back, depending on your structure. Trying to pick exacts IMO, is most likely overthinking it a bit.
    Bingo. People that do 20 different exercises for their back crack me up amost as much as the kids that do 30 different kinds of curls for their arms. Stick with a few BIG movements for any body part.
  18. Advanced Member
    VS91588's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    702
    Rep Power
    46443
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    82.81%

    Quote Originally Posted by SXIPro View Post

    Bingo. People that do 20 different exercises for their back crack me up amost as much as the kids that do 30 different kinds of curls for their arms. Stick with a few BIG movements for any body part.
    Basic movements work!
    Deadlifts
    Barbell/T-Bar Rows
    Dumbbell Rows
    Cable Rows
    Lat Pulldown
  19. New Member
    rockme's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    348
    Rep Power
    2873
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    10.67%

    Deadlift.
  20. Elite Member
    Montego1's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    8,642
    Rep Power
    7507772
    Level
    96
    Lv. Percent
    89.56%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Re: advice on improving my back


    Keep going heavy brother. Prone shrugs, rack pulls, heavy rows. Muscle maturity had a lot to do with thickness too.
    FINAFLEX PRODUCT EDUCATOR


    ​" If you're looking for a work horse.......I'm no Clydesdale."
  21. New Member
    Moose45's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    455
    Rep Power
    48651
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    59.46%

    Prone shrugs and snatch grip DL!!!
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Advice on if my First Cycle Looks Okay
    By Aerospace in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-27-2013, 03:46 AM
  2. advice on what my next step should be
    By bi0hazurd in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-30-2011, 01:05 PM
  3. Advice on altering my workout days
    By soseg in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-30-2008, 04:39 PM
  4. Any advice on keeping my libido up during my VAR cycle.
    By babbyrattles in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-27-2006, 10:31 AM
  5. Need advice on my "stack"
    By AlexParty in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-06-2003, 01:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in