Lil help

MiniGun

MiniGun

Awards
I'm fairly new to lifting, unfortunately I am only able to work out three days a week. I think i'm doing whats call split training where i do two muscle groups during each workout (push/pull). Will this be effective? Also does anyone have a three day a week training program they would reccomend?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
unfortunately I am only able to work out three days a week.
Actually, 3x per is plenty, especially if you are doing the big compound exercises 2-3x in that week that elicit the best/biggest changes.
I might second Staring Strength

joeblow1

Awards
I like the basics compounds in starting strength except power cleans. If you plan on doing oly competitions then go for it, but other then that I wouldn't bother with them. Other then that program, 531 is good program, push, pull, legs is another good one.

napalm

napalm

Awards
This

IMO, SS is best for novice lifters. After 6-8 months on SS, then you think about an intermediate program like 531.

I can't stress enough how important it is to do the program by the letter, as it was written. SS gives lifters a solid foundation in which to build - if done correctly.

Buy the book, read the book, live the book...

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like the basics compounds in starting strength except power cleans.
Yeah, I tend to agree and did not cut my teeth doing too much of those, but there is a reason they put them in there, and I am thinking more along the lines of explosive movements and getting some speed/plyo moves into the mix as a novice. I mean football programs always had cleans and stuff in it, just to help guys/girls become more coordinated with speed/power/explosion etc. I know they are staples for xfitters. If I was starting someone on them, I would certainly have them use very light weight until they really learned the movement.

I can't stress enough how important it is to do the program by the letter, as it was written. SS gives lifters a solid foundation in which to build - if done correctly.
Agreed^