Teen training

olshanskiy

Awards
I'm 16 and go to the gym I was wondering what would be the best workout plan for me and what should I do to gain muscle and weight?

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm 16 and go to the gym I was wondering what would be the best workout plan for me and what should I do to gain muscle and weight?
How much experience and what are your goals?

olshanskiy

Awards
I started the gym about a month and a half ago and my goal is too get bigger

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Rippetoe's starting strength would honestly probably be the best routine IMO for someone your age anyway. Will build you a solid strength base and at your age size will come irregardless of your routine.
Make sure you have a good understanding of how to properly execute compound movements such as bench press, squat, deadlift, and shoulder press ahead of time. Proper form is CRUCIAL in preventing serious injuries. Make sure you leave your ego aside and worry about the movement itself instead of how much weight you are moving.

olshanskiy

Awards
I joined the gym a month ago and my goal is to get bigger

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Rippetoe's starting strength would honestly probably be the best routine IMO for someone your age anyway. Will build you a solid strength base and at your age size will come irregardless of your routine.
Make sure you have a good understanding of how to properly execute compound movements such as bench press, squat, deadlift, and shoulder press ahead of time. Proper form is CRUCIAL in preventing serious injuries. Make sure you leave your ego aside and worry about the movement itself instead of how much weight you are moving.
i secodn this. get the compounds down because they will lay a base for your future. then you can graduate to the 5x5 series or something smilar when you have a little strength behind those wheels. and dont be like majority of us and neglect squats/deadlifts for awhile after first begining to lift. you cant replace them for lower body strength, so just learn them and do them. big numbers in those lifts brigns a lot of respect. squatting in particular = loads of respect from fellow lifters

im on the ipad so i cant link youtube vids. but youtube "so you think you can squat" by eliteftsmobile and watch the entire series. squatting is the hardest movement to master (other than olympic lifts) and this vid will show you exactly how to do it step-by-step

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
i secodn this. get the compounds down because they will lay a base for your future. then you can graduate to the 5x5 series or something smilar when you have a little strength behind those wheels. and dont be like majority of us and neglect squats/deadlifts for awhile after first begining to lift. you cant replace them for lower body strength, so just learn them and do them. big numbers in those lifts brigns a lot of respect. squatting in particular = loads of respect from fellow lifters

im on the ipad so i cant link youtube vids. but youtube "so you think you can squat" by eliteftsmobile and watch the entire series. squatting is the hardest movement to master (other than olympic lifts) and this vid will show you exactly how to do it step-by-step
A 16 year old should not be trying to squat big numbers to earn respect from fellow lifters. That is a terrific way to get injured. Actually no one should be lifting to earn respect from other lifters. I could give a rat's ass what anyone in the gym thinks of me....besides the hot babes in yoga pants, of course.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
A 16 year old should not be trying to squat big numbers to earn respect from fellow lifters. That is a terrific way to get injured.
another terrific way to get injured is neglecting the legs for years. terrific way to create an unbalanced physique and develop beautiful lower back pain too. the idea was to not ignore the squat and begin working on it early. not squat 300lbs+ at 16yo

bigintensions

bigintensions

Awards
What's up bro, I'm 17. I've been lifting for about 3 years and I can say from experience that the best thing for you to do is a strength building program right now to build a solid base. There have been some good routines posted above, you could also look into 5/3/1. I've used that and it works great, pretty simple too. Just please don't make the mistake that almost all teens do and just hit chest and bis haha

olshanskiy

Awards
Yeah thanks and I rarely hit my biceps cause there just a small muscle I hit them like once a week