Is this a good plan?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.91%
    Achievements Activity Pro

Is this a good plan?

Ok so I'm 17 and got into working out my freshman year of high school (now a junior) and stopped my sophomore year. Two months into my junior year I decided that I miss working out and how it made me feel. For the past three months I have been running and lifting six days a week. I have also been eating clean foods like turkey, chicken, fish, a lot of fruits and vegs, and getting 7-9 hours of sleep a night. I now am working out at a gym and not at the very limited clubhouse that is at my apartments. I will be taking a whey protein shake in the morning and one hour post work out to maximize the workout, along with 5-6 meals a day. I work different parts of my body every workout day with the exception of quads twice a week because they are my weakest part. I change from lower to upper every other day. Goal is to feel good and look good, hopefully get shredded so I'm trying to go with lean gains. I know it will take me a long time but I just feel so much better eating clean foods. I have read a ton on here and decided to make an account and see if some of the knowledgeable people could help me out. Thanks

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.81%

I would make a separate day or arms because for example.. On back day you work out your back involving your biceps. After back I would imagine you would do biceps. Well your biceps are already tired from the back work you performed so you won't get as much out of it. As to have a separate arm day you can hit your biceps hard.. Make sense? This is just my opinion
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.78%
    Achievements Posting Pro

My advise would be to look into an already tried and true program to start. I would not try programming for yourself. 5x5, Starting Strength, 5-3-1, or something. After you've had a few years then look into doing your own programming. I prefer 5-3-1 for my kids at schools needs as it is simple, effective, and takes out a lot if guesswork, but there are many other options. If you're in high school perhaps you have a weight room with a decent coach. Many don't, but once in a while you get lucky.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.4%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Sinister View Post
    My advise would be to look into an already tried and true program to start. I would not try programming for yourself. 5x5, Starting Strength,

Absolutely^^^
    Leaning out too, is a lot of diet, but as a younger person with most likely a higher metabolism, it is not as hard as when you get older.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.91%
    Achievements Activity Pro

Thanks for all the replys. So I might try the 5x5 but would prefer a plan that also tells me what exercises to do since I was doing back and bis on the same day. So if anyone has any suggestions that would be great, and is ON gold standard whey a good whey to use that is not a ton of money?
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.4%

Your key lifts are going to be the 5-7 compounds focused first.
    The below is an example say...
    Some routines like Starr's 5x5 and Rips SS, have you doing the Power Clean, which you can certainly try. It is a more explosive/momentum full body move and works a bit more speed wise, which may not be something you want to start with at this time, or maybe experiment with at a later date.
    I would suggest picking up a copy of Rips SS or John McCallums Keys To Progress or Brad Stieners HG Bible or Bill Starr's 5x5's or any of the mainstream publications on beginner routines or intros into weightlifting or BB'ing.

"A" Monday...
    Squat 3-5x5 (read 3-5 sets includes 2 warm ups, then 3 worksets, of x5 reps)
    BP's 3-5x5
    Rows or pull dwns 3-5x5
    *Some arm work/curls 2x8-10 (read 2 sets of 8-10 reps)
    *Abs

"B" Wednesday...
    OHP's 3-5x5
    Deads 1-2x5
    Chins/Pullups or rows 3x5-8
    *Arm work pressdwns 2x8-10
    *Calves

Friday repeat A, but sub leg presses for the squats perhaps! Up to you

Monday will be B and so on alternating...
    You are allowed to do arm work and iso exercises, but do not make those the focus or the keys, even though you may want to see a bicep bulge or a larger arm. By doing the compound work and eating enough GOOD food (or paying strict attention to diet if you are trying to really get vascular), you will add overall BW and grow all over faster than trying to spot improve your arms or chest. In fact, a ripped smaller arm, can appear much larger than a large arm that has no definition.
    I know the arm work does not sound like much, but after doing the big work, and as you add weight thru the cycle, the 2 sets will be plenty or you can add a set here and there depending on how you feel.
    *These are extra exercises and are not always in the main programs. It is just that some guys want do some direct arm work and also abs.
    Start light, even if you are able to complete the work very easy. As you progress thru the weeks and add #5 weight, you will slowly build intensity and strength/mass.
    Above all have fun and enjoy the ride
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.2%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

My advise would be to look into an already tried and true program to start. I would not try programming for yourself. 5x5, Starting Strength, 5-3-1, or something. After you've had a few years then look into doing your own programming. I prefer 5-3-1 for my kids at schools needs as it is simple, effective, and takes out a lot if guesswork, but there are many other options. If you're in high school perhaps you have a weight room with a decent coach. Many don't, but once in a while you get lucky.
    this is what i came to say. also you dont need to have protein shakes when you wake up and post workout. you also dont need to be eating 5-6 times a day unless you enjoy doing so
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.53%

id 2nd starting strength. 5/3/1 progression is dumass slow and ment for intermediate-advanced power lifters that already have big numbers

another plus is it will tell you exactly what exercises to do

Similar Forum Threads

1. Is this a good plan?
    By marshmallow man in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 06:26 PM
  2. Is this a good plan?
    By fmavila05 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-20-2007, 01:15 AM
  3. rev bench press is this any good
    By bigrich954rr in forum Exercise Science