HIIT - How long do you go?

whaz

whaz

Awards
I've read of people doing it from ten minutes up to 30 minutes at a time. I've heard of 10 sec sprints and 30 second "rests" all the way up to 30 sec sprints and 1 minute rest. Currently I've been doing 40 sec sprints at 1 min rest for 20 min but I think I'm gonna try 30 sec sprint/30 sec rest for 20 min. The main reason I was doing 40sec/1min was because I was doing it swimming laps and 40 secs is how long it takes me to go down and back. Just curious on peoples opinions/preferences of the sprint/rest interval they use and the overall length of time they go for and how well that's working for them. Figured it might be interesting. Anyways hope to get some feedback!

mik14

mik14

Awards
I do 30sec stair sprints - 1min walk.

When I started it was for 20mins then I worked up to 30mins. It shredded the fat off me.

After about 8weeks I was recovering to easy and didn't feel as puffed so I recently bought a weight vest that can hold 30kg.

Now I do 20mins stair sprints with 10kg in the vest. When I get to 30mins il add another 5kg and start over again.

Got to keep the intensity up to keep getting results, I was surprised the additional 10kg in the vest almost kills me but the results are awesome!

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Everyone seems to be different.

My personal favorite is an eliptical...last 20 seconds of each minute then 40 seconds at regular speed. Do that 10 times...but I also go normal speed for 4 minutes and do a sprint, then go normal speed for another 4 minutes before I get into the HIIT....that should give a 20 minute cardio session overall

I like sprinting on the treadmill, but I'm not a fan of just hoping off the treadmill and not doing anything while you recover, I feel like I'm wasting time by not doing anything

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
the work rest ratio that is best for you is the one that you will do. how long, depends on your work capacity.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Everyone seems to be different.

My personal favorite is an eliptical...last 20 seconds of each minute then 40 seconds at regular speed. Do that 10 times...but I also go normal speed for 4 minutes and do a sprint, then go normal speed for another 4 minutes before I get into the HIIT....that should give a 20 minute cardio session overall

I like sprinting on the treadmill, but I'm not a fan of just hoping off the treadmill and not doing anything while you recover, I feel like I'm wasting time by not doing anything
I slow the belt down on the treadmill and walk for 40 seconds to a minute before ramping that bad boy up again. I love it when doing that with a bunch of old people walking on the treadmill next to you. Always give you looks when you get done.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I slow the belt down on the treadmill and walk for 40 seconds to a minute before ramping that bad boy up again. I love it when doing that with a bunch of old people walking on the treadmill next to you. Always give you looks when you get done.
it doesn't take to long to slow the belt down? maybe it's just the treadmills at my gym but it seems to take like 25 of the 40 seconds just for the belts to reduce the speed and then i'd be ramping it back up...theres a few you can program but those are always the first treadmills taken

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
it doesn't take to long to slow the belt down? maybe it's just the treadmills at my gym but it seems to take like 25 of the 40 seconds just for the belts to reduce the speed and then i'd be ramping it back up...theres a few you can program but those are always the first treadmills taken
It usually gets down to walking pace in less than 10 seconds, so I just keep up with the pace of the belt. It slows down alot quicker I think if you're on it.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I try to keep most of my work alactic so my work periods are less than 10 seconds and my rest periods are at least a minute. I'm also mostly concerned with acceleration and power. I find when I my work is heavily dependent upon the glycolytic system and more conditioning based my strength and power decreases.

whaz

whaz

Awards
Yea I've been alternating from swimming laps to treadmill. The treadmill usually takes about 5 secs to slow down to my rest speed and about the same to speed back up. I may try the eliptical though, not a huge fan of the treadmill, it gets pretty rough on my right knee. I did the prowler today for 20 sec sprints/1min rest and I was toast after about 10 minutes.

mik14

mik14

Awards
Yeah the treadmill sucks for HIIT.

Skipping is awesome...skipping flat out for 30secs then slow walk or skip for 60-90secs. Definately get a good pump happening in the arms.

You can change the skipping up aswel to bringing your Knees as high as u can..it's a killer!

mik14

mik14

Awards
In saying that you can have your interval times to what you like but skipping in itself is a good overall body workout

whaz

whaz

Awards
In saying that you can have your interval times to what you like but skipping in itself is a good overall body workout
This may be a dumb question but skipping as in skipping rope or as in running down the street skipping?

Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister

Awards
  • Established
I do treadmill 20 seconds on, 20 seconds off. 10% incline. Time depends on your goals. I did a 3:00 easy run warmup ramping up to about 1 mph below my starting speed then set the incline and 3 rounds of 5:00 minutes with 1 minute in between. Just like a pro Mma fight. I did one 5 round fight, so for that one I did 5x5:00. Once your cranking at around 9-10mph on the last round you are really getting somewhere. It's not all you need, but it works great for what it is. I stole it from Rich Franklin.

mik14

mik14

Awards
This may be a dumb question but skipping as in skipping rope or as in running down the street skipping?
No I mean running down the street skipping its awesome excercise you can do it any where...all you need is a street!

Lol No jump rope skipping! Ha ha

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do 1 min at 6.0 than 1 min on 8.5. Depends how much in shape I am lol. 10-15min.

whaz

whaz

Awards
No I mean running down the street skipping its awesome excercise you can do it any where...all you need is a street!

Lol No jump rope skipping! Ha ha
Haha that's what I assumed you meant but I was thinking "hey maybe he knows something that I dont"

mik14

mik14

Awards
I think the neigbours would call the police on me if I started skipping down the street! I can just picture it skipping down the street with a big gay smile! Lol

whaz

whaz

Awards
I think the neigbours would call the police on me if I started skipping down the street! I can just picture it skipping down the street with a big gay smile! Lol
Hahaha the mental image is great.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
lol yeah in 2013....that kinda stuff gets ppl arrested and put in a padded room

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When I do hiit it is 30 seconds on and 4 minutes rest.

blindcycling

Awards
Lot of professional strength and conditioning coaches recommend about 30sec- 1 min of max exertion then rest up to 5 min. It is impossible to do much more than 1 min at 90-95% exertion.
People that are doing 10min exertion are missing the point of high intensity training.

For example.... Doing sledge training, I would pound the tire for 1 min max exertion and rest for 3 minutes for 6-10 sets (depending on time). If I am dogging it, I can last 15 min with moderate exertion no problem. The point is to get the max amount of time in the workout at maximal exertion.

pmdied

Awards
20second sprints on the bike for me...I jack the resistance up to level 10-12 on the life cycle and sprint till my legs burn.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How often u guys doing it if you train weights 5 days per week?

I'm currently trying to get 2 days of HIIT (one for speed intervals and one for hill intervals) on treadmill.. And 2 Days for prowler work...

I can't get to gym in weekends tho so I have to fit this in a 5 day split and it's really taxing on the Cns to the point I think I'm hindering fat loss....

What are thoughts on doing treadmill HIIT and prowler in the same session.. say 5-7 sprints on tread and 3-4 trips of 40 yards on the prowler following a 45-65 minute weight session? It's too much.. I already know the answer! Lol