Physique Competition Good/Bad Foods?

LeanMaShane

LeanMaShane

Awards
I am 12 weeks out from my first comp. I have 10% body fat. I have a diet plan that i will be going by and I'm going to start dieting next Monday. But what foods do I need to stay away from, and what are ok to eat..

Tonycfh

Tonycfh

Awards
I am 12 weeks out from my first comp. I have 10% body fat. I have a diet plan that i will be going by and I'm going to start dieting next Monday. But what foods do I need to stay away from, and what are ok to eat..
Eat what you want as long as you fit it in your macros

Moose45

Moose45

Awards
Lets concentrate on what U can eat:
Protien:
Tuna or most any fish.
Cottage cheese.
Eggs (especially the whites).
Chicken breast (boneless skinless).
Turkey breast (boneless skinless).
Lean beef.
Low fat or no fat cheese.
Low fat pork.
Milk protein isolate.
Whey protein.
Soy protein.
Essentially most any other source of protein so long as it is low in saturated fat and carbohydrates.

Carbohydrates:
Sweet potatoes.
Oat meal, oat bran, oat bran cereal (i.e. cheerios).
Bran cereal.
Brown rice.
Wheat bread (try to limit to 2 slices per day).
Beans.
Low fat popcorn (low fat butter spray makes this a delicacy).
Fruits (limit to 2-3 servings per day).
Malto dextrin (during workout).
Dextrose (during workout)
Vegetables.
Stay away from refined grains and anything that says "enriched" or "high fructose corn syrup" on the label!

Fat:
Omega 3 capsules (i.e. fish oil capsules).
Flax seed oil.
Primrose oil.
Borage oil.
Olive oil.
Nuts (limit to 1 serving per day), peanut butter (as long as it does not contain hydrogenated oils).
Egg yolks.
Fish (salmon especially).

I hope this helps.
Also here is a guideline to your sodium intake:
15 Days Out - Begin sodium loading. Salt or season all meals and eat foods high in sodium.
10 Days Out - Reduce sodium to 4000 mg per day.
5 Days Out - Reduce sodium to 2000 mg per day.
2 Days Out - Reduce sodium to 1500 mg.
1 Day Out - Reduce sodium to 1000 mg.
Show Day - covered below.

By increasing sodium intake during the "sodium loading" phase, your cells' sodium pumps will become up-regulated (working harder than normal) and pump Na+ ions out of the cell to maintain the equilibrium ion gradient.

When you begin to drop sodium intake, your cells' pumps will still be up-regulated, but since sodium intake is low it will pump out more sodium than normal and with it, a lot of water will be excreted (water levels fluctuate in relation to ion concentrations). During this time (5 days out up until the day before the show) you will begin to flatten out and look smaller than normal due to less water being held.

LeanMaShane

LeanMaShane

Awards
Wow.. lol that's all I can say. Thanks a lot!

LeanMaShane

LeanMaShane

Awards
Lets concentrate on what U can eat:
Protien:
Tuna or most any fish.
Cottage cheese.
Eggs (especially the whites).
Chicken breast (boneless skinless).
Turkey breast (boneless skinless).
Lean beef.
Low fat or no fat cheese.
Low fat pork.
Milk protein isolate.
Whey protein.
Soy protein.
Essentially most any other source of protein so long as it is low in saturated fat and carbohydrates.

Carbohydrates:
Sweet potatoes.
Oat meal, oat bran, oat bran cereal (i.e. cheerios).
Bran cereal.
Brown rice.
Wheat bread (try to limit to 2 slices per day).
Beans.
Low fat popcorn (low fat butter spray makes this a delicacy).
Fruits (limit to 2-3 servings per day).
Malto dextrin (during workout).
Dextrose (during workout)
Vegetables.
Stay away from refined grains and anything that says "enriched" or "high fructose corn syrup" on the label!

Fat:
Omega 3 capsules (i.e. fish oil capsules).
Flax seed oil.
Primrose oil.
Borage oil.
Olive oil.
Nuts (limit to 1 serving per day), peanut butter (as long as it does not contain hydrogenated oils).
Egg yolks.
Fish (salmon especially).

I hope this helps.
Also here is a guideline to your sodium intake:
15 Days Out - Begin sodium loading. Salt or season all meals and eat foods high in sodium.
10 Days Out - Reduce sodium to 4000 mg per day.
5 Days Out - Reduce sodium to 2000 mg per day.
2 Days Out - Reduce sodium to 1500 mg.
1 Day Out - Reduce sodium to 1000 mg.
Show Day - covered below.

By increasing sodium intake during the "sodium loading" phase, your cells' sodium pumps will become up-regulated (working harder than normal) and pump Na+ ions out of the cell to maintain the equilibrium ion gradient.

When you begin to drop sodium intake, your cells' pumps will still be up-regulated, but since sodium intake is low it will pump out more sodium than normal and with it, a lot of water will be excreted (water levels fluctuate in relation to ion concentrations). During this time (5 days out up until the day before the show) you will begin to flatten out and look smaller than normal due to less water being held.
My coach pretty much told me, low carbs and low sodium. 2+ gallons of water everyday. And then a couple days out just stop drinking water. And I will pee it all out. Any other advice for this comp?

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If your coach is really good then do exactly what they tell you and don't ask us for opinions.

This is not me being obtuse. There is a LOT of conflicting information out there for contest pre work. Taking bits from one guru and bits from another can work really well or it can also confuse the hell out of you and make it feel unnecessarily complicated. It would be like taking the water protocol from one person and the sodium protocol from another.

So, if they are good just do what they say. :)

LeanMaShane

LeanMaShane

Awards
Alright lol yeah it's my first comp and I wanna make sure I got everything good to go! I'm 9 weeks out as of now.