HELP PLEASE WITH WORKOUT ROUTINE

RUSSELL78

RUSSELL78

Awards
I'm 34 years old and 290lbs. I need advice on a strength training program and proper diet to go with it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Hey man I am new on these boards but have been lifting for many years, I am a certified personal trainer, I have competed in bodybuilding, and have some nutrition/ supplementations knowledge. What is your current program? What are your goals?

RUSSELL78

RUSSELL78

Awards
I'm looking to drop my weight and gain muscle I read so many different things its just gets confusing after awhile

RUSSELL78

RUSSELL78

Awards
I have no current program I'm looking to get started but don't wanna join a gym with no plan of what I'm gonna do before I start you know

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Having a plan of attack is always important especially if you have been out of the gym for a while. One program that I have used after an injury is the 20-15-10-5 plan. What that is, is starting at a weight for each movement that you can do 20, 15, etc reps and the next week put on 5 lbs and subtract five reps this will help with stabilization to start off with and also help you gain back some muscle memory. How long have you been out and what shape would you say you are in?

RUSSELL78

RUSSELL78

Awards
Haven't been to the gym for 3 years and really not in great shape at all I've gained 50lbs over those 3 years

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Its all good at least you’re doing something about it. Do you have a job in which you are active or is it a sales job like mine where I sit on my arse all day

RUSSELL78

RUSSELL78

Awards
It's not really active it's a factory the machines do all the labor work lol

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Ya some jobs are like a gym session. Others just require you to be on your feet all day. My best advice to you brother would be to start slow and with a small amount of weight with a lot of reps to build up your stabilization. Don’t focus on 1 rep maxes that’s only going to get you hurt. Disregard what I said before about the 20-15-10-5 series. You are going to want to start with simple movements using dumbbells for the first month also putting some time ( 15 min to start) on the Elliptical. Being that you are 290 lbs that is going to take a lot of stress off your knees and other joints. I recommend doing this after your work out. As far as diet the first step is going to be switching all your simple carbs into complex carbs. No more bleached flower, whole wheat’s only, limit your sodium intake, try to cut out sodas and you will be on a good start. Also most gyms provide a fitness orientation and one free training session when you join take advantage of that to get a basic routine down. And remember it takes three weeks to build a habit, if this is something you want to do start ASAP. When you get a membership you can PM me and I would be happy to help you with any questions that may arise. I hope that helped a little

RUSSELL78

RUSSELL78

Awards
That's helped a lot I appreciate you taking your time to respond man!

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
ill keep it simple. get the book, starting strength. follow the program exactly or as many months as you can make gains with it.

move on to 5/3/1 which can work for you for years.

as for diet, read up on intermittent fasting and carb backloading. choose one and follow it exactly.

that should cover you for 4 or 5 years. good luck and have fun.