rotator cuff and tennis elbow

DYEL89

Awards
So apparently, I am having rotator cuff issues (mostly lack of flexibility and pain when placing my arm behind my back, towards the middle of my back) and as of tonight, possible onset of tennis elbow (where tricep meets elbow, on the side closer to my ribs, pain when doing tricep isolation exercises) and it's really becoming a pain in the ass.

I'm struggling with my shoulder popping on overhead press, and my elbow having sharp pain on tricep workouts. Each problem is on opposite sides, left cuff and right elbow. I'm thinking it could be due to over training and/or gaining too quick due to being on a PH cycle.

Anyone know of any remedies besides a physical therapist so I can continue to lift without feeling like I'm losing hard earned gains and losing symmetry due to not being able to lift as heavy?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, I am not sure how accurate your diagnosis is of getting these from PH and or gaining to quickly, as I never did a PH cycle and as far as gaining, I am more average or below in pressing lifts and I got those aches for a bit too.
Trust me they can be made better with some attention and knowledge.

A few things to try...
Shoulders: Do lying L-flyes religiously, at the end of your pressing W/O's to strengthen the "external rotators" of the little cuff muscles. A very small amount of weight is needed for these. (The internals are always much stronger than the externals)
Elbows: On the tris or extensions there of, try keeping your wrists/grip turned in more towards your palms when doing them to take added stress off the elbows. Also if you can get a hold of a tri blaster, where the grips keep your hands in a hammer curl position and not pronated. Tfry also for a bit, standing tri pressdowns. The angles can help take stress of the elbow tendons until they strengthen more.
Trigger Point therapy is good for all the muscles up and down the entire arm. Probably would not hurt for your shoulders either.
Look into the 7 Minute Rotator Cuff Solution by Horrigan and learn more about the cuff muscles and work and stretches for it and Bonnie Prudden's Trigger Point Therapy might help greatly.
All the best

DYEL89

Awards
I'll definitely give those lifts a try. I'm going to start wrapping it, heating it pre/post workout, and icing it multiple times throughout the day for the swelling. I'm trying to avoid painkillers/NSAIDs because of my current PH cycle. But I will definitely give these a try. Thanks for the advice.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
id take a week off and stretch the rotator over the week. that way you let the elbow heal while working on the rotator cuff. last thing you want is to develop tendonitis in the elbow. then you can kiss pressing movements goodbye for a month or two

DYEL89

Awards
Yeah, you're probably right. It's just difficult. I'm on the last 9 days of my PH, and I hate to not be taking full advantage of it. I feel like I'd be wasting the opportunity, since I wouldn't be able to cycle again for a few more months. I'll probably just do lower body work, lower my weight on upper body, and avoid pressing lifts and tricep isolation work. Just so I can continue to lift without feeling like I'm wasting away for a week lol.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
oh i didnt realize you were mid cycle. id just tough it out and baby the presses. thats a bad time to get injured lol. i ****ed my rotator at the end of my first cycle, it sucked

DYEL89

Awards
Which is exactly what is happening to me lol. Rotator cuff makes sense though, my traps have grown exponentially, but the elbow I may have just overtrained. I really hate to stop at the end of my cycle, especially because I'm going into my PCT now, and lower than normal T levels will make this even more depressing. lol

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll definitely give those lifts a try. I'm going to start wrapping it, heating it pre/post workout, and icing it multiple times throughout the day for the swelling. I'm trying to avoid painkillers/NSAIDs because of my current PH cycle. But I will definitely give these a try. Thanks for the advice.
You can do "heat and ice" on and off 10-20 minute circuits.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Advice from an older lifter that did some damage to his rotator cuff:

Make sure you are using fish oil and joint supps. My favorites are iForce Joint Help and Antaeus Achilles.

Stay away from the lifts that cause pain or "popping" of the shoulder. Rest it or you are damaging it more.

Sacrifice some of your gains now in order to save your body from not being able to lift in the future.

Your rest and ice routine will help.

Best to you in healing brother.

DYEL89

Awards
Thanks everyone. I was a little paranoid because it definitely seems as if it's the onset of these. But I've been doing heat and ice, doubled up on fish oils, taking Osteo Bi-Flex for joint health, and have noticed my rotator cuff improve tremendously. The elbow is still taking its sweet time. But not lifting heavy anymore and doing only flexibility tricep lifts with very light weights (15% 1RM, full range to stretch) is taking some of the pain away. I appreciate all of the help.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks everyone. I was a little paranoid because it definitely seems as if it's the onset of these. But I've been doing heat and ice, doubled up on fish oils, taking Osteo Bi-Flex for joint health, and have noticed my rotator cuff improve tremendously. The elbow is still taking its sweet time. But not lifting heavy anymore and doing only flexibility tricep lifts with very light weights (15% 1RM, full range to stretch) is taking some of the pain away. I appreciate all of the help.
DY I highly suggest adding IForce Joint Help to your mix. It really made a difference for my rotator injury and I was just as paranoid. My 2 cents worth.

DYEL89

Awards
Ill definitely have to look into it. Thanks again! ^