Does 5x5 burn more fat than say 8x4 or 10x3?

MrBumboclart

Awards
Basically what im asking is do low reps, high sets, heavy weight, strength training burn more fat/calories than high reps, low sets, low weight, body building training?

I would think the increased intensity and strain would do but what do you guys think?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
not directly, no. however given the same routine in a gvt or circuit style training regiment i can see more cals burned from more of an elevated heart rate.

Mack411

Mack411

Awards
This routine is used more for strength and bulking,I have yet to run a 5x5 but have planned to for some time.As Im sure you know diet and cardio are gonna be determining factors in how much fat is burned,also rest and time between sets,with the right layout I have seen people make a nice recomp out of a 5x5 program.

MrBumboclart

Awards
Surely the heart rate is more elevated through heavy weight strength training than low intensity mass building?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
comparing calories burned between 2 lifting routines is like splitting **** hairs. it's futile and not that relevant to things that can make a difference of about 10 or even 50 times more. diet is going to do far more for you then worrying about the number of reps or sets.

now to try and answer the question, i would say 8x4.

if you really want to get into the nitty gritty of caloric burn you need to look into post workout caloric burn. more intense workouts can burn more calories for upwards of a day after the workout.

but back to my original point, that can all be destroyed by a single cupcake as we could be talking about as little as a few hundred calories.

PROness

Awards
comparing calories burned between 2 lifting routines is like splitting **** hairs. it's futile and not that relevant to things that can make a difference of about 10 or even 50 times more. diet is going to do far more for you then worrying about the number of reps or sets.

now to try and answer the question, i would say 8x4.

if you really want to get into the nitty gritty of caloric burn you need to look into post workout caloric burn. more intense workouts can burn more calories for upwards of a day after the workout.

but back to my original point, that can all be destroyed by a single cupcake as we could be talking about as little as a few hundred calories.
Wow... you shouldn't be going around telling people the best-kept secret in all of weight training like that.