Is there a good mat I can buy for when I do deadlifts?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I live in a town house and my room is on the second floor, when I do deadlifts and the bar hits the floor, obviously you can hear it and it makes an impact. I'm afraid at some point I'll crack the concrete. Is there a certain type of mat I can buy, that is designed specifically to take the impact of someone deadlifting? I was thinking I'd need to buy the kind of mat that is used in wrestling arenas outside the wrestling ring. They have mats at Dick's sporting goods, but the mats are really thin.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
I live in a town house and my room is on the second floor, when I do deadlifts and the bar hits the floor, obviously you can hear it and it makes an impact. I'm afraid at some point I'll crack the concrete. Is there a certain type of mat I can buy, that is designed specifically to take the impact of someone deadlifting? I was thinking I'd need to buy the kind of mat that is used in wrestling arenas outside the wrestling ring. They have mats at Dick's sporting goods, but the mats are really thin.
Make a wood platform

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys and damnit I rather just buy one.

67nova

Awards
What i did was go to one of those big name hardware stores and got 2 rubber mats for like resturants,there 3x3' about 1/2-3/4"thick and very sturdy and non slip too,think i spent $30 for both and works great.There black with holes though out them(in flooring section)

boogyman

Awards
I helped a friend make a platform, we layered 3/4 plywood and thin outdoor carpet. 3 layers wood with 2 layers carpet (glued then screwed). Then we glued a heavy duty high density rubber mat on top, I think its called a stall mat and its for horse stalls. Its held up for 4 years now and has just the right bounce and firmness.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
use rubber weights vs rubber mats :)

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
use rubber weights vs rubber mats :)
I'd love to get a set of 45 pound plates in rubber and than just use 35 pound plates on the bar, but those damn rubber plates are around $300 atleast and I'm on a tight budget right now sadly.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I was thinking of those recycled tire mats. I'm not sure where to get them. My whole gyms floor is done in that. I'm gonna need something soon for my garage like that so if you find something that works let a brotha know ;-)

Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister

Awards
  • Established
Get a set of 45 pound bumper plates. They are getting relatively cheap. Plus make a small platform as indicated earlier and put some 4x6 stall mats on it. They are $30 at Farm and Fleet. I have like 12 of them in my gym.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
I'd love to get a set of 45 pound plates in rubber and than just use 35 pound plates on the bar, but those damn rubber plates are around $300 atleast and I'm on a tight budget right now sadly.
rubber plates run $1.50/lbs at their cheapest. look at rogue fitness or a local scheels for those prices.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Get a set of 45 pound bumper plates. They are getting relatively cheap. Plus make a small platform as indicated earlier and put some 4x6 stall mats on it. They are $30 at Farm and Fleet. I have like 12 of them in my gym.
There are no farm and fleet stores by me.

aforwwfora

Awards
You can review this site it might be resolve your issue

shop.rubberco.co.uk/product-category/sound-deadening-rubber-sheet/

James Fuller

James Fuller

Awards
Horse stall mats. thats what i got my garage covered with. they work great. good traction on them too!!