Routine Advice Please

ITW

ITW

Awards
Hi guys. As of late I've been doing your typical BB 5 day split. Made some nice gains, but I want to switch up my routine for a couple reasons. For one, I've recently picked up swimming competitively again (all-american in high school, chose not to swim in college). So lifting 5 days a week is simply too much volume. Second, while I do have certain physique goals I've always been more interested in strength. That is not to say I want to banish myself from the BB arena, but more so dabble in the BB and PL worlds. I figured my best bet would be 5/3/1 with appropriate accessory work. Would like some input on what I have laid out (see below). Thanks

Bench 5/3/1
Vertical Pull (chins)
Horizontal Pull (bb row)
Shoulder accessory (seated db press)
Arm superset (curl variant/tricep iso)
Rear delt work (face pulls)

Squat 5/3/1
Squat BBB (5x10 at 50% 1RM)
RDL
Calf work (db calf raises, calf press)
Forearms (BB wrist curls)
Core Work (hanging leg raises, cable crunches)

Press 5/3/1
Horizontal Pull (db row)
Vertical Pull (pull-ups)
Chest accessory (db bench)
Medial delt work (lateral raises)

Dead 5/3/1
Dead BBB (5x10 at 50% 1RM)
Leg Press
Calf work (calf raise machine, BB calf raises)
Forearms (farmers walk)
Core work (decline crunches, db side bends)

Performed ABxCDxx

*Note that I'm currently swimming 4-5 days a week as well. Always lift before swimming or ~8 hours later.

Am i missing anything??? Thanks again!

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
if you are doing 5/3/1, then do 5/3/1. all the answers you will need will be in the book(s).

napalm

napalm

Awards
I don't hate it, but I would rethink the 5x10 dl. Not a big fan of high rep dl's. It looks like you at least put some thought into it...

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

ITW

ITW

Awards
if you are doing 5/3/1, then do 5/3/1. all the answers you will need will be in the book(s).
I hear you, I hear you. Don't fix what's not broken, but even with the BB assistance suggested in the book I feel like I'm lagging in some areas. Specifically arms (I have a huge chest, lats, shoulders, back from swimming my entire life but comparatively small arms)

And as far as the 5x10 dl yeah I think I'll change that. I could see form/strain being an issue there.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
I hear you, I hear you. Don't fix what's not broken, but even with the BB assistance suggested in the book I feel like I'm lagging in some areas. Specifically arms (I have a huge chest, lats, shoulders, back from swimming my entire life but comparatively small arms)

And as far as the 5x10 dl yeah I think I'll change that. I could see form/strain being an issue there.
now that that is out the way, here is a tip.

on overhead and bench, bring your hands in close and BAM! super tricep exercises. on DL day do some kroc rows and other heavy rows for th accessory work. do the rows with a barbell and a narrow grip, even an underhand grip and BAM! super bicep exercises while still following 5/3/1.