Swiming laps for cardio

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.61%

Swiming laps for cardio

I was doing a running HIIT routine for a little while but I had knee surgery a while back so it started to get pretty painful and I had to stop. What I've been doing the last couple weeks is essentially HIIT in the pool. I will all out sprint for 20 seconds (I swam competitively in high school so it's a pretty good sprint.) then rest for 1 minute and repeat this for 25 minutes. Warm up/cool down not included in the 25 min. What do you guys think of this as a replacement for running? I'm mainly interested in the fat loss, more so than the cardiovascular benefits.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.53%

Subbed.
    Go hard. Go heavy. Never stop.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.23%

Quote Originally Posted by whaz View Post
    I was doing a running HIIT routine for a little while but I had knee surgery a while back so it started to get pretty painful and I had to stop. What I've been doing the last couple weeks is essentially HIIT in the pool. I will all out sprint for 20 seconds (I swam competitively in high school so it's a pretty good sprint.) then rest for 1 minute and repeat this for 25 minutes. Warm up/cool down not included in the 25 min. What do you guys think of this as a replacement for running? I'm mainly interested in the fat loss, more so than the cardiovascular benefits.
    It is full - body which running is as well, although it is NOT weight bearing, since it is resistance the offshoot is you won't burn as much, but you WILL burn as much because your building muscle. More in your arms than running typically is, which is utilized through propelling yourself through space, and using your legs. Ever see michael phelps,ya compare him to a runner ya nough said

What I would offer you as a slight adjustment, is that you work to make a minimum 1:1 rest to work ratio. That means that you want to have minimum 1 minute "jog" or the equivalent in a pool, and 1 minute rest. Thats how I was taught by my professor, he is a certified CSEP-CPT and has many years training experience. Give it a shot, you may need to lower your "sprint" to a "jog", but that spike in intensity should compensate.
    PTAG-CPT, TSCC, ViPR
    Functional Training Hell Workout (An Offday/Cardio Workout!)
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/223675-welcome-functional-training.html
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.61%

Quote Originally Posted by NeighbourMike View Post
    It is full - body which running is as well, although it is NOT weight bearing, since it is resistance the offshoot is you won't burn as much, but you WILL burn as much because your building muscle. More in your arms than running typically is, which is utilized through propelling yourself through space, and using your legs. Ever see michael phelps,ya compare him to a runner ya nough said

What I would offer you as a slight adjustment, is that you work to make a minimum 1:1 rest to work ratio. That means that you want to have minimum 1 minute "jog" or the equivalent in a pool, and 1 minute rest. Thats how I was taught by my professor, he is a certified CSEP-CPT and has many years training experience. Give it a shot, you may need to lower your "sprint" to a "jog", but that spike in intensity should compensate.
    I will give that a try on Thursday and report back lol. At about 80-90% intensity I can swim 25 yards (one length down) in 16-18 seconds continuously for 25 min. I'm imagining that with a slight drop in intensity I can do a 50 (there and back) in a minute, probably less. You think doing this at a bit less intensity but for double the distance will be more effective at fat loss? Thanks for the suggestion!
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.3%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Check out crossfitendurance.com and look at their sport specific endurance part of their workouts. They list daily swimming workouts. You may find it helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222

Similar Forum Threads

1. Exercise bike for cardio
    By KingMeso in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-03-2007, 02:02 PM
  2. Punching bag for cardio
    By EasyEJL in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-02-2007, 12:46 PM
  3. what equipment is best for cardio?
    By goes4ever in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-27-2006, 01:33 PM
  4. Is IGF-1 good for cardio and endourance as well?
    By Boxing4Life in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-25-2005, 07:55 PM
  5. What did you do for cardio the weeks out from competing?
    By Funny Monkey in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-30-2005, 12:05 AM