recurring biceps strain

Mafesto31

Awards
I cannot find enough information on a biceps strain that I get when doing heavy back work. Last night I was in the middle of a heavy weighted pull up when I felt a twinge in my left biceps. I immediately terminated the lift because I have experienced this feeling before. The muscle soon becomes tight and sore like the day after many sets of heavy curls. I ice and wrap it but will be unable to use it for a few days after without mild pain. This has occurred in my right biceps where an mri showed scar tissue build up. I am fearing a potential tendon rupture. Has anyone had any experience with this or insight as to what exactly it could be?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i pulled a bicep at work and literally took time off to heal, maintained all lifts that didnt require bicep movement

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
After the MRi on the rt, what was the docs therapy/suggestions for the scar/lesions tissue?
Again deep tissue massage and or ART can break up the micro trauma and lesions and will have the fibers healing on a more balanced basis perhaps allowing for more even pulling of the fibers.
What, if any supplements are you using?
Do you squeeze the arms/bis at the very top of the movements?
Does it make any difference if you keep the thumbs over the bar and just hook grip at all?

Mafesto31

Awards
After the MRi on the rt, what was the docs therapy/suggestions for the scar/lesions tissue?
Again deep tissue massage and or ART can break up the micro trauma and lesions and will have the fibers healing on a more balanced basis perhaps allowing for more even pulling of the fibers.
What, if any supplements are you using?
Do you squeeze the arms/bis at the very top of the movements?
Does it make any difference if you keep the thumbs over the bar and just hook grip at all?
The docs mentioned the massage and rest for therapy then slowly increasing resistance. The only Supps I take at the moment besides vitamins and fish oil would be citrulline, agmatine, and beta alanine. I don't flex the arms in fact I try to take them out of the movement by not focusing on them. I use a hook grip no straps. I currently weigh 235lb and was using 125lbs on a dip belt for a rep range of 6-8.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
The docs mentioned the massage and rest for therapy then slowly increasing resistance.
I probably have had the same issues over the years. I do remember some rt arm tendonitis a few times.
I think my chiro did some massage and trigger point work a few times on a few differing areas.
It eventually went away and I have had little to no trouble with it since.

citrulline, agmatine, and beta alanine.
Not sure if these all effect the CNS or not, but I do swear at times if I am dehydrated I will get painful cramps from creatine. Not sure if that is the case with beta alanine!? I don't think there is much on the studies if it effects people in that way or not. I know there are a few posts around asking if it does, but not sure of the validity.
Magnesium and calcium supps may help too!?
Nice pullup work with that added weight and hope it clears up ASAP...!

Mafesto31

Awards
Thanks man, I've never considered the possibility of a cramp because of the lingering effects. I stay pretty well hydrated but maybe the supplements have something to do with it.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Thanks man, I've never considered the possibility of a cramp because of the lingering effects. I stay pretty well hydrated but maybe the supplements have something to do with it.
Yeah, I know we want to stay on them, especially if they work for us a bit. I am guilty of that myself. But it may be a thought just to try cycling off or just not using a certain product and see if it makes a difference!? Don't dump everything all at once, one at a time over a period of time works best. It may also be just cutting back too.
It may not even be a product you're using, but when it comes to tension/pain etc, etc. I always check stuff that effects or spikes the CNS first and maybe work backwards from there.

All the best