Any bike riders? Bike recommendations? Not stationary!

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I'm looking into purchasing this bike
http://www.redlinebicycles.com/archives/2012-monocog-29er
Been thinking about it for a year now just haven't had the extra cash to do so. Retail $500. I like this style because it reminds me of a bmx for adults. I loved bmxing as a kid and the reviews I've read by cyclists say its a pretty fun bike and good quality and I like its simplicity , (bikes with gears always kinda bothered me).Ive been wanting to have more outdoor physical activity , i feel ive been starving for it every since i quit skateboarding many years back and a good bike will be my buffet. I'm looking to get plenty of off and on road riding in and would like some opinions. I've kinda already got my heart set but if my eyes are opened to something better bikewise then maybe I'd refocus.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
That's a great looking bike I think any bike that you find on that site is going to be a good one. That is one
of the highest ranking bike sites on the internet right now. I think you should look into getting a bike that size
that would be great for you but if not then get one a little smaller to start just make sure its light and sturdy.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
That's a great looking bike I think any bike that you find on that site is going to be a good one. That is one
of the highest ranking bike sites on the internet right now. I think you should look into getting a bike that size
that would be great for you but if not then get one a little smaller to start just make sure its light and sturdy.
I wish I could go smaller for agility and to do tricks but I think I'd look like a pig humping a football. I really like those downhill bikes the most to be honest , now those really remind me of an adult size bmx but there's no way I'd be able to get full use out of it where I live. I want a bike I can get from A to B quickly 5-10 miles mostly and if I come across some open fields or rough urban terrain I can have some fun.

tank316

tank316

Awards
  • Established
I just bought a hybrid..Trek. Cross between road/trail. It was on sale though, normally 400.00 down to 299.00.

Jcweinsx

Awards
Redline makes decent bikes good value for the $. I've had a redline cross bike for 5-6 years. Sometimes the geometry is not as responsive as I would prefer for racing as the chain stay tend to e longer than some other mfg. redline does tend to use a stable geometry so it's a trade off between stability and responsiveness. Should be a fun bike and low maintenance for what you want to do.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i rode bikes for many years, mostly doing tricks and bmx style stuff....so bmx stuff may different than bmx but...

redline made some good quality stuff, never the absolute best but decent none the less.....i know when i was really into it trek and cannondale were the two top companies...i'd compare what those companies make price wise to the one you have picked and see how or if they differ at all

second look: thats not a mountain bike...what is that just a street bike?

pmdied

Awards
I mountain bike raced and criterium raced (a form of pack racing on road bikes) for years. Added inches to my calves and thighs because the duration was short but intensity was high, especially mountain bike. My only advice would be to get your bike fitted by a qualified bike shop and if you're not going to race, there's no reason to spend more than $500 on a bike. It will break you before you break it. My 2 cents.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I mountain bike raced and criterium raced (a form of pack racing on road bikes) for years. Added inches to my calves and thighs because the duration was short but intensity was high, especially mountain bike. My only advice would be to get your bike fitted by a qualified bike shop and if you're not going to race, there's no reason to spend more than $500 on a bike. It will break you before you break it. My 2 cents.
So do you think if that bike fits my body it would be a good bargain ? I raced bmx as a teenager and have broken frames welds and pancakes wheels doing tricks and just riding hard on and off the tracks. I'm no kid anymore but if I get comfortable enough again I will most likely be rough on it. Doubt ill be popping off jumps doing ten foot high table tops anymore but I'm sure ill try some silly stuff. I guess what I'm most looking to do is some intense urban riding. I live I Detroit so the terrain is a bit rougher in spots then what most would consider in a city. I figured a beefy frame with a monocog would suffice. I like the downhill bikes but I don't think they'd be good for the amount of ground I'd like to cover on rides.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
second look: thats not a mountain bike...what is that just a street bike?
It's kind of a crossover from what I'm guessing. Kinda like a bmx and a mountain bike had a son with an attitude. Iono but I like it. It's a 19" frame with 29" wheels and a single gear. From what I gather reading reviews they get up fast and can take a beating.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just got bike into mountain biking last summer and picked up this
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/talon.29er.2/9041/48916/

I went in intending to spend $1000 and was talked into the lower end due to the fact I would not be riding ever day or competitively.
You will love riding a 29'er.
I love my giant. I started mountain biking hardcore in the summer. Added some shamano clip pedals and gyro clip shoes and hopping over logs is so fun now hehe

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
So this is what I ordered

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobile/MobileModels.aspx?ModelID=81000

It's lighter then the redline and less expensive but from the research and review reading I've done it looks to be every bit as good if not better for less money. It's suppose to arrive in 4 days but Ill be surprised if it does as its coming from over seas. I can't wait , my first bicycle since I was a kid!