5x5 with extra lifts, does this make sense?

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey whats going on guys, finally after a month in a cast its time to hit the gym again come tuesday. I want to start off doing some 5x5 with extra lifts, chin ups/pull ups or dips and i was reading that it was okay to add those in but im not sure where too. So i was going to do the standard 5x5 program with bench, squat, and bb row in workout A then squat, deadlift and ohp for workout B. Would it be okay to add in wide grip pull ups/ close grip chin ups and dips on one of these days, doing 3 sets of 10 for those aux lifts. So i would do workout A M-W-F and maybe do these aux lifts on monday and friday. Would that be too much?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So i would do workout A M-W-F and maybe do these aux lifts on monday and friday. Would that be too much?
So wait, when are you doing W/O B or is that on T-T-Sat? (Working 6 days a week?)
2 cents...
That said and just spouting a few comments to think over...
1) More exercises (for the sake of exercises) is not always better, if you have to lower all over intensity or save energy to get thru a workout to hit all the different exercises.
2) If you do add (say a pulling) exercise, add it on a day you are not doing as much other pulling exercises. That way you can hit a group more thru the entire week, instead of just on 1-2 days.
3) As far as "too much", it might be better to stick with a more written plan (especially getting back into it) and then add exercises as you slowly gain more GPP and or work capacity to do so. Many of the standard routines as written, are written because they are good solid programs for the masses, and adding work/exercises just for the sake of wanting to do more, feeling more is better, is not the best focus for the prime directive. Which to me is, adding weight to the bar, muscle to the frame, and strength to a few key lifts .
I can be a minimalist, that way, I can then put great effort into a few key big lifts, instead of just good effort in quite a few.

TexasGuy

Awards
I think it should be fine. My $.02 is to put maximal effort in to the prescribed lifts and use what gas you have left on additional lifts. Just watch recovery day to day.

NeighbourMike

NeighbourMike

Awards
Hey whats going on guys, finally after a month in a cast its time to hit the gym again come tuesday. I want to start off doing some 5x5 with extra lifts, chin ups/pull ups or dips and i was reading that it was okay to add those in but im not sure where too. So i was going to do the standard 5x5 program with bench, squat, and bb row in workout A then squat, deadlift and ohp for workout B. Would it be okay to add in wide grip pull ups/ close grip chin ups and dips on one of these days, doing 3 sets of 10 for those aux lifts. So i would do workout A M-W-F and maybe do these aux lifts on monday and friday. Would that be too much?
My opinion, coming from a fitness and training background with clients, is what is your injury, and what is your goal.

Clearly define those two things and then we can move from there to assess your plan. Don't jump the gun and ask for advice although I know your excited to get back at it. Provide some supplementary information on the past injury/how it has affected performance, where it was localized..etc. Then I will be able to better help you.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I ripped a ligament in my thumb, it's been casted for 4 weeks but it was incanted in a splint for the first 2. So 6 weeks of no use. It really depends how I feel, I'm going to 5x5 if I can handle gripping compound lifts but if not ill just go back to GVT and suicide grip everything .

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
Your grip strength will let you know what you can do. I am coming off a 14 week lay off for tendon surgery in my forearm and I am super motivated, but my grip strength is gone so know matter how much I want to push I have to go slow.So just listen to your body and be smart you'll get it back!!

bachelard

Awards
Is the 5x5 still five sets of maximum weight? That can be absolute hell on the ligaments, as I learned the hard way. I can't imagine starting back after an injury with that. What is your rationale for that routine, if you don't mind explaining.

TexasGuy

Awards
Is the 5x5 still five sets of maximum weight? That can be absolute hell on the ligaments, as I learned the hard way. I can't imagine starting back after an injury with that. What is your rationale for that routine, if you don't mind explaining.
The way he has it structured, the first lift of a muscle group will be maximal effort. (OP, this is why you switch rotation). It would be smart to gauge response, as always.

Edit, I have this thread confused with another.