Help with core routine

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.8%

Help with core routine

Ok, I just started adding some cardio twice a week in the evening (I train in the morning with weights). I usually do this every year this time, in october I pretty much stop cardio for a few months over the winter. this year I want to add a few core movements, but I want them to have some purpose, not just throw in crunches and whatnot. I am looking for a routine thats more geared for athletic performance. I would like to add a few movements before my evening cardio session. My requirements are that it won't take a lot of time, maybe 15-20 minutes tops if not less. Something at the newbie level because I have not really trained my core directly in quite a long while. I use 5-3-1 for my weight training, heres my schedule:

Monday: Shoulder press, evening cardio
    Tuesday: Deadlift
    Wednesday: Off
    Thursday : Bench Press, evening cardio
    Friday: Squat
    Weekend: off (Might add a Sunday morning cardio session and just a little plyometric stuff in a few weeks)

If any of you experienced "athletic" guys can help me out I would really appreciate it.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.92%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

First off, I am assuming you're not negelecting rows? I know deads are good for mass back developement, ie: lumbar, and erectors plus traps, but rowing and or chinning of some kinds hit the back in a differing way only exclusive to drawing the arms towards the torso.
    Anyway, your core so to speak, is getting trained (at least) statically, thru deads and squats to an okay extent.
    That said, if you are looking for training of the ab and maybe low back thru flexion and extension, what about Russian twists, hanging leg raises, roman chairs, even bw only hypers?

Last question, do you spilt your body parts up like that because of time issues, or preferences or what? Just curious!?!?
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.8%

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    First off, I am assuming you're not negelecting rows? I know deads are good for mass back developement, ie: lumbar, and erectors plus traps, but rowing and or chinning of some kinds hit the back in a differing way only exclusive to drawing the arms towards the torso.
    Anyway, your core so to speak, is getting trained (at least) statically, thru deads and squats to an okay extent.
    That said, if you are looking for training of the ab and maybe low back thru flexion and extension, what about Russian twists, hanging leg raises, roman chairs, even bw only hypers?

Last question, do you spilt your body parts up like that because of time issues, or preferences or what? Just curious!?!?
    I do Pendelay rows on Bench days. I am doing the 5-3-1 program as written, I am not so much splitting bodyparts as I am movements, IE: I do mostly verical pushes and pulls on shoulder press days (this is when I do my pullups) and horizontal pushes and pulls on bench days as accessory movements. I understand that I am hitting my core with deads with squats, deads and standing presses, I just thought I might add a few rotation movements or the like before my cardio session. Just lookinf for some ideas, maybe add a few sets of 2 movements before each run.

Right now I do knee raises as one of my deadlift accessories, and back extensions with squats.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.92%

Gotcha...!
  5. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.11%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I exclusively use four movements for my core training: standing cable crunches, ab wheel rollouts, DB side bends, and hanging leg raises.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.8%

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I exclusively use four movements for my core training: standing cable crunches, ab wheel rollouts, DB side bends, and hanging leg raises.
    Thats something I can work with. I already do knee raises after deadlifts, but I can find another accessory movment (maybe do more back extensions like I do after squats). I will probably split that up and do 2 movments before each of my cardio sessions, maybe rollouts and side bends one day, and cable crunches and knee raises on the other. Thanks a lot for the help!
  7. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.11%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by boogyman View Post
    Thats something I can work with. I already do knee raises after deadlifts, but I can find another accessory movment (maybe do more back extensions like I do after squats). I will probably split that up and do 2 movments before each of my cardio sessions, maybe rollouts and side bends one day, and cable crunches and knee raises on the other. Thanks a lot for the help!
    Not knee raises; leg raises.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.8%

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

Not knee raises; leg raises.
    Ahhh read it too fast...no comprehension lol. Gotcha, and thanks again.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.64%

I do regular crunches, Incline crunches (not sit ups), cable crunches, leg raises, side cable pulls or side dumbells. I mix and match 3 off the list every other day.
    Formutech Nutrition Rep --------------Team IronClad Physiques!!!
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------------ NPC Competitor
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition
  10. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.66%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Re: Help with core routine

Planks and variations

- Valdez
    ~Olympus Labs DemiGod And Rep ~

AnabolicMinds.com Site Rep

Similar Forum Threads

1. help with a routine
    By ams1 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-12-2008, 02:53 PM
  2. HELP with new routine
    By shaunnner in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-11-2008, 08:22 AM
  3. Need help with a routine!
    By Jon629 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-23-2006, 03:43 PM
  4. Please help with my routine/cardio layout.
    By OmarJackson in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 03:18 PM
  5. need help with my routine
    By Zack in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-12-2003, 05:58 PM