Question about carbs and muscle growth and my routine

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Currently I am only getting 100 grams of carbs a day six days a week and on my cheat day I'll get about 250 grams. I take in on average 230 grams of protein and 3,000 calories a day. I am on a low carb diet to minimize fat gains, however I am not seeing muscle gains despite the high calorie count. Should I eat more carbs? when I was eating 2,500 calories a day, I observed the same thing. So once I added 500 calories, nothing has seemed to change. My strength is going up at a decent rate. I am able to add weight to my exercises every 4-5 weeks. So, either my diet needs to change or my routine needs to change. As far as my routine on the positive and negative portions of my reps I go 2 seconds up, 2 seconds down, except on my leg exercises.. My rep range is 6-8 for 4 sets with a 3 minute rest between sets on all my exercises that involve a barbell, including ez bar curls. My first set is always a warmup set, then I do 3 heavy sets. For all my exercises that involve dumbbells I do a rep range of 8-10 with 2 minutes rest in between sets, again 4 sets, one warmup set and 3 working sets and for things like chinups and dips I rest 1 minute in between sets and do a rep range of 8-12 for 3 sets.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
first off, you have to make a decision. if you are wanting to put on weight without fat, that is called a recomp. not a bulk but not a cut. very hard to do and even when done right, it takes a long time. you have to choose either to stay on the recomp for quite some time, bulk, or cut.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
first off, you have to make a decision. if you are wanting to put on weight without fat, that is called a recomp. not a bulk but not a cut. very hard to do and even when done right, it takes a long time. you have to choose either to stay on the recomp for quite some time, bulk, or cut.
So what would you suggest if I want to bulk?

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
eat way more carbs. 100g/day isnt near enough.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm all about carbing up dude. what's your fat intake look like? too low of an intake can hinder results as well. at 6' 216 I imagine you would need more than 3K calories. have you calculated your tdee? I'm 5'9 220 and I run off of 3500+ (although everyone is different..)

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I'm all about carbing up dude. what's your fat intake look like? too low of an intake can hinder results as well. at 6' 216 I imagine you would need more than 3K calories. have you calculated your tdee? I'm 5'9 220 and I run off of 3500+ (although everyone is different..)
Damnit, it's hard enough getting enough food on ssi. My fat intake in probably around 200grams a day and how much carbs should I eat a day? I'm on the mesomorphic side. I have a medium bone structure if that helps any. I'm just sort of afraid to get too much fat because I've suffered from sleep apnea when I was 250.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
.5g/lb for fat
1-1.5g/lb for protein
fill the rest up with carbs

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
.5g/lb for fat
1-1.5g/lb for protein
fill the rest up with carbs
Hmm so there isn't like a baseline standard amount of carbs you'd recommend? I was goign to up my carbs to double, so I was going to go for 200grams

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
that's what I do. find your TDEE using an online calculator and add onto it. if you get fat, eat less. I tailor carbs around my activity level. I could range between 300-500g of carbs. 200g of fat is quite a bit man. IMO at least

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
that's what I do. find your TDEE using an online calculator and add onto it. if you get fat, eat less. I tailor carbs around my activity level. I could range between 300-500g of carbs. 200g of fat is quite a bit man. IMO at least
TDEE?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established