Military prep routine

Rodel

Awards
I'm planning on enlisting and I'm came up with a routine to prep me before I go, advice is welcome and suggestions please :)
Work out 7 days a week
Day 1-6
- 7:00 cardio running with 20lb weight vest and 5lb leg weights 30 mins 25 push-ups and sit-ups
7:35-7:40 eat
- 10:00 shake
- 11:00 abs mixed sit ups
- 3:00 eat
- 6:00 shake
-8:00 weight training/ full body
o 20lbs bicep curls, triceps, butterflies, shoulders 15 reps 3 sets
o 10lbs 20 bicep curls, 20 hammers, and 20 of this other for of bicep curl I don't know the name of lol, 15 shoulders 15 butterflies 5 sets
o 10 lbs jabs and uppercuts 8 reps each 30 sets non stop
o wide push-ups 12reps 5sets, elbows in push-ups 10 reps 5 sets, diamond push-ups 10 reps 5 sets
o I do 3 types of dips don't exactly know the names but they work, they are all 15 reps and 5 sets
o wide pull-ups 6reps 5sets, standard grip 6 reps 5 sets, close pull-ups 6 reps 5 sets and those bicep pull-ups 6 sets 5reps
-10:00 shake

Day 7
- swimming for an hour, other than that nutrition plan is the same and I rest on everything else.

It's sad that I don't know the names of some of these exercises so I just made up some names. But any comments or advice please leave and any other training recommendations. Thanks :)

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What branch are you enlisting in?

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not to familiar with them but id give yourself atleast a couple days of rest.

Other than that im sure the typical running, swimming, calisthenics/body weight exercises would work. Id assume you would have to be more worried about the para school than basic.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Agreed with 3clipse. Boot camp is cake..just do push ups and run and you'll be good. Find out what your qualifying score has to be for your PT test and just be able to do that from day 1. There's a military.com page that has a huge list of workouts tailored specifically to different schooling/ratings/mos/ect that you may look into.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As I mentioned before swimming is going to be huge for you for pararescue. I mean extremely huge. A good portion of that pipeline will have you in the water greater than 50% of your day. You are going to need to be able to run, push up, pull up, sit up and lots lots more immediately out of the water. So, you need to be good enough not to expend all your energy in there.

My pipeline, which is similar the screening just to get your application approved to go and get screened again was:

500m swim under 12 min
Push ups 42 minimum
Sit ups 60 minimum
Pull ups 6 minimum
1.5 mile run in boots and uniform under 11 min
*just being able to do the minimums isn't going to give good chances of passing the training to be honest.

Then...
Push ups
Sit ups
Mountain climbers
8 count bodybuilders
Flutter kicks
*no minimum just looking for max effort

Lastly,
4 miles, 60lbs ruck in under 50min in bouts and uniform.

I haven't looked at PJ's screening and pipeline in quite some time. That being said, you can expect similar deal as I wrote above. Even if your initial screening is only comprised of swim run push ups pull ups sit ups. Expect a tougher screening at start of training.

I also do not know if you are able to go straight in PJ selection from boot camp. That would be something I look into.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

Rodel

Awards
As I mentioned before swimming is going to be huge for you for pararescue. I mean extremely huge. A good portion of that pipeline will have you in the water greater than 50% of your day. You are going to need to be able to run, push up, pull up, sit up and lots lots more immediately out of the water. So, you need to be good enough not to expend all your energy in there.

My pipeline, which is similar the screening just to get your application approved to go and get screened again was:

500m swim under 12 min
Push ups 42 minimum
Sit ups 60 minimum
Pull ups 6 minimum
*just being able to do the minimums isn't going to give good chances of passing the training to be honest.

Then...
Push ups
Sit ups
Mountain climbers
8 count bodybuilders
Flutter kicks

Lastly,

I haven't looked at PJ's screening and pipeline in quite some time. That being said, you can expect similar deal as I wrote above. Even if your initial screening is only comprised of swim run push ups pull ups sit ups. Expect a tougher screening at start of training.

I also do not know if you are able to go straight in PJ selection from boot camp. That would be something I look into.

Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate the help and advice

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not a fan of putting weights on extremities while exercising. If you want to add more weight get a better vest, I like the X-Vest personally.

Its better to keep the weight closer to your torso and wont strain the joints as much.

Jcweinsx

Awards
Swim more. At least 3x a week. Low Bw and high strength / weight ratio with extreme endurance should be your goal

mgjake

mgjake

Awards

500m swim under 12 min
Push ups 42 minimum
Sit ups 60 minimum
Pull ups 6 minimum

Then...
Push ups
Sit ups
Mountain climbers
8 count bodybuilders
Flutter kicks

Lastly,

Super informative. PJ has a 90% washout rate, and the majority of that has to do with the amount of time you spend in the water. But don't let that discourage you by any mean. Plan a routine that incorporates what is listed above and keep pushing to meet those standards and even exceed them. Also spend a great deal of time in the water, swimming different distances and getting used to being under. Also to piggy-back, a lot of this stuff is going to be in uniform, and when it's wet, it's heavy! So if you're going for a run or swim (if possible) get used to wearing clothes to simulate the weight a soaked uniform will add. And if you have boots lying around, run in them. The sooner your feet get used to running in boots the better. Soaked/sweaty feet running in boots will jack them up until your feet start getting used to it!

mgjake

mgjake

Awards
I'm not a fan of putting weights on extremities while exercising. If you want to add more weight get a better vest, I like the X-Vest personally.

Its better to keep the weight closer to your torso and wont strain the joints as much.
I agree with this as well.. If you can profit a weighted vest of some sort it will help you get somewhat used to wearing body armor during runs/exercises!

Drizzie88

Drizzie88

Awards
  • Established
PM me your email address and ill send you a good workout to prep you.