Training with work travel

SpongeTom

Awards
  • Established
Hi all,

The last couple of years have seen me in a new role at work, and while I love what I do it has completely destroyed any and all gym consistency.
Prior to that I was doing powerlifting type training 3x a week. These days, I start up a new routine, get a couple weeks in, then have to travel for work for a few weeks, ending my momentum.
I know it seems like just another excuse, and to be honest it probably is... however I am not sure how to handle constant travel and maintaining a consistent workout schedule/routine.

The hotels I stay at rarely have any decent gym (the curse of Australian hotels). Most just have a treadmill, bike, and maybe some sort of 50-in-1 machine type deal. If I am lucky and in Canberra, I can go to the university gym where they have a fantastic O-lifting and Powerlifting setup, but a lack of car while I am there makes it quite difficult to get there in the dead of winter.

I was thinking maybe of having 2 routines going. 1 being my "in home city, normal lifting" routine. The second being a "bodyweight in my hotel workout + some cardio" routine. Though the problem with the second part is it seems it might be quite limited in terms of variety?

I have approx 8 weeks straight in my home city coming up, which is a current record for me. I would expected to be shipped somewhere else after that. I am headed back into the gym for this period, however I dont want to lose my momentum once I travel again.

Keen to hear from anyone else who travels frequently for work, and how you deal with it. Also keen for any suggestions on how I should "program" a routine around my schedule.

Oh and my goals are to drop a little bit of body fat, but primarily build my strength back up and put back on some muscle mass.

Appreciate all your thoughts and help :D

Cheers!

lmessi10

lmessi10

Awards
that's a tough one! have you done research prior to going for gyms around where your staying?

SpongeTom

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for replying!

I usually have a search, however there often isnt anything within walking distance, or if there is it tends to be like a women's only gym, or one that requires ongoing membership for it to be reasonable (where a single session is ~$20 or something silly).

As you say, a tough one.

If I am doing strength/muscle building workouts in my home state for 6-8 weeks, then when I travel I am doing body weight only workouts in my hotel room, what should I expect? Will the time spent in the gym at home be wasted? Perhaps I should sort out a "bulk" routine for at home, and a "cutting" type one for when I am away? I am very confused :D

lmessi10

lmessi10

Awards
if your doing only body weight workouts - I think that'll get old really fast!... I think you won't be building much muscle but building more endurance and stamina in them... but yeah .. I think the best option would be bulking and then using it as a cutting.. atleast your working out - and once your finally stable at home you can do whatever you want...

its just what I think ..not saying this is the way to do it or not.. but your in one tough situation

SpongeTom

Awards
  • Established
I appreciate your thoughts, thank you!

Maybe I could get some resistance bands or something and put them in my travel bag.

lmessi10

lmessi10

Awards
that actually wouldn't be a bad idea at all! start carrying milk jugs up and down the stairs instead of the elevator haha ! anything you got to do - to get a workout in.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Quite a bit of it will come down to how bad you want it and what are you willing to do to get it!? I know that is easier said than done, and of course it is easy to sit here in a gym and spout you out answers when I do not have that problem.
The resistance band thing is certainly better than nothing along wth some BW stuff too, as here in the states, the gyms in hotels are the same. Not much equiptment to work with.
Depending on how long you would be in a given (away) area, maybe you could search out a gym and just pay a week fee or at least try to talk the owner into some sort of agreement!?
Lastly, I know a guy (PL'er) in your situation, as he travels a week+ or so out of every month. You might be surprised at how much your strength levels can gain on more scattered or infrequent training. He had not squatted in 2 weeks and hit the gym when he got home, busting out a new PR. of like #405 for x5 full reps.
I guess the best thhing is to never give up and doing anything, is better than nothing at all. When you are home and have the training time, make it great work sessions. Hang in and good luck, you'll find a way I am sure.