Achieving that "shoulder bulge"

chriso_85

Awards
Hi I'm writing to try and pinpoint what's lacking in training/ diet in regards to growing a nice round set of shoulders, I have we'll defined shoulders as is and there not out of proportion but at the same time they don't pop! Diet is pretty good mix of mainly protein and carbs and good fats and when I train I have good technique on front and side delts and I do use military press regularly as well as different variations of the exercises mentioned just not sure if there is any thing really missing so any ideas would be great
Cheers!

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
boom! the amount of people who neglect the rears is mind boggling.
Mind-bottling. Like when your mind gets stuck in a bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Rear delt activation.
X 100. Face pulls, deadlifts, properly done shrugs, scapular retractions, etc. will all help to develop the upper back, traps, and rear delts.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
X 100. Face pulls, deadlifts, properly done shrugs, scapular retractions, etc. will all help to develop the upper back, traps, and rear delts.
also agree, i have an upper back/trap/rear delt day......

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm on board with the above suggestions.

Also, having well functioning lower traps and serratus anterior will greatly improve your ability to press overhead.

From a technique standpoint you should also check your over head press form. Using a full ROM (taking the bar from the collar bone, or dumbbells from the shoulders) correct scapula retraction and rotation, elbows up and pointing slightly infront of you, and completing the rep with the upper arm even with the ears. Which...for most people....takes away the option of doing seated back supported over head presses as they turn into this quasi-incline.

Br

chriso_85

Awards
Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to help! I really appreciate it and can see for sure that I don't spend enough time on rear delts! i will take In all the suggestions for sure! Cheers

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good way to stabilize the shoulders and especially the rotator cuffs.

TexasGuy

Awards
Shoulders tend to respond very well to high rep work. Absolutely train for strength but throw in some high rep pressing and raises as well.