Leg workout help

67nova

Awards
I need some input to get me out of the gym(got my own at home)as the program/routine im following calls for a super set of leg extensions/curls.They work alright for me but am starting to feel them in my knees.

I was thinking of mybe lunges for extensions and either single leg romanian deads or mybe hip thrusts?
For lunges would side lunges be better?Im starting with squats into romanian deads for first sets.

I know theres more benefits with lunges as helping with stabilty/mass,since im already doing deads would single hip thrusts be better?

Any help would be greatly thankful for.

TEH253

TEH253

Banned
Awards
I need some input to get me out of the gym(got my own at home)as the program/routine im following calls for a super set of leg extensions/curls.They work alright for me but am starting to feel them in my knees.

I was thinking of mybe lunges for extensions and either single leg romanian deads or mybe hip thrusts?
For lunges would side lunges be better?Im starting with squats into romanian deads for first sets.

I know theres more benefits with lunges as helping with stabilty/mass,since im already doing deads would single hip thrusts be better?

Any help would be greatly thankful for.
You can squat while holding dumbbells at your side. If you knees are hurting while squatting space out your stance to keep the pressure off your knees. A regular squat should be feet shoulder with apart.

67nova

Awards
Knees are hurting from the extensions or curls.

67nova

Awards
I've been squating for years and ever since i started extensions/curls on these machines i can feel my knees starting to let go/hurt.Deads/squats/lunges/ never bothered them.

As for my ? whats the best exercise to feel that isolation i do get from extensions/curls.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't know what the issue is with your knees but I would have replaced leg ext/curls before I even started whatever program you're on. DB/BB lunges, split squat, goblet squat, unilateral leg press, DB step ups, ect

67nova

Awards
I don't know what the issue is with your knees but I would have replaced leg ext/curls before I even started whatever program you're on. DB/BB lunges, split squat, goblet squat, unilateral leg press, DB step ups, ect
Thanks sir,i know they hit both quads/hams so with that ,you got an idea on how to make up 8sets?(4ext./4curls)

I myself since i suck and hate lunges say 4sets of them and either side squats or goblet squats.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Leg curls in general just suck and it is very common for knee pain to come from extensions. Use either Bulgarian split squats or a lunge variation (walking w/ DB or BB, reverse, heel elevated, etc.) to replace extensions and something involving hip extension for the curls (e.g. good mornings, RDL, etc.).

67nova

Awards
Leg curls in general just suck and it is very common for knee pain to come from extensions. Use either Bulgarian split squats or a lunge variation (walking w/ DB or BB, reverse, heel elevated, etc.) to replace extensions and something involving hip extension for the curls (e.g. good mornings, RDL, etc.).
Thanks rodja once again for your help,i know i have trouble on lunges so diffently must add them in replace of and since im already doing rdl think i'll go with good mornings or hip thrusts

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
What about sissy squats or front squats for quads?

67nova

Awards
Im on a 4day upper/lower split with squats tue and deads on fri so front squats could be used on fri i guess.I find i get more out of goblet squats as for sissy squats(yes i know how to do them right too)The main thing is to get that feeling i do get from extensions and curls all while working to be more flexable/cordianted like with doing lunges ect..

I just needed to know which exercises would be more benefical for me to do at home and now even at the gym.